About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #65 – The Ring is In; Visiting With Friends, & dealing with an Emergency

 

 

Wednesday, November 3rd., 2021…... The weather is still cooler than normal for this time of year. Indicators say that we are likely to get some snow at our elevation (340’) later in the season.  That’s happened 3 whole times in the 4½ years I have been here! We’ll see…

But, today was dry when we walked the pups. Once we got back in and got them fed, Cathye took off for her volunteer work. I headed off to get coffee (Starbucks) and breakfast (Jack in the Box) before settling in and working on my last blog.  I’m trying to stay up on the daily logs, but sometimes I don’t get to that for a few days, so I have to play catch-up. Anyway, I got that done and posted and waited for Cathye to get back. We made some lunch then headed out to run some errands – Walgreens and Walmart.   Tonight was Survivor and The Masked Singer.  We sometimes don’t get both watched in the same night, but we stayed ahead of it and watched them both tonight. They unmasked The Beach Ball. Good thing too, they were terrible! Honey Boo Boo and her mom. What a joke!  I have guesses for some of the others but, like last year, they are younger hip hop and/or rap artists so I haven’t got a clue as to who they might be.

Thursday, November 4th., 2021…...  This morning was full of appointments and meals!  We headed off to our acupuncture appointment early so we could stop and have breakfast. I loaded up the plastic bags for glass and plastic bottle recycle because we were heading to Albany first. Turns out we just had time to eat and make the acupuncture time in Corvallis, so the bags will just have to stay in the truck for now.  After both of us were done, it was time to head up to Mary’s Peak to have lunch with her friends, David and Oma Lea. David, the retired contractor, had built their house several years ago. It is just outside of Philomath, off of hwy 20, headed to the coast, up a windy forest road with tons of trees all around. Very majestic to say the least!  But you certainly have to want to go there, since it’s up in the Coastal Mtns. The house is really nice and laid out well, with large spacious rooms.  He also built a mother-in-law suite over the large, detached garage. Plus, he has a shop that makes mine look like a shack!  Cathye has been before, so I got the whole house tour, while the girls visited.  After that, we had a nice meal and relaxed and visited a bit more. It was such a long day that I had to ask my sister if she could go over and let the dogs out to do their business. We did get back in time to feed them though, so all was good. We relaxed and rested after the busy day.

Friday, November 5th., 2021…… Today was laundry day. We were up and out with the girls and then started in. The weather is not allowing too much to be done outside anyway so today was a good day to work inside. Of course, I was able to watch some of my taped shows during loads, so it went by quickly. Still too wet to mow so that’s out for a while. Today is the start of the Nascar final races of the season. Tonight was the truck race. I was able to watch it before hearing or seeing it somewhere else, so that was good.  But while we were waiting for all of that to happen, I made a call to the jewelers. “We were just about to call you” they said. “Your ring is in!”  So, we stopped what we were doing and headed up to Woodburn (about 60 miles). They didn’t have mine in yet. They said that they didn’t have my size in inventory anywhere, so they had to reorder. That means another month!.. But, that’s ok. I won’t be wearing it anyway until next spring.  We got hers and it was perfect!  She looked at it and took pictures of it all the way home.  She said the trip home was “really fast”!  We had stuff out for dinner, but I told her we should go out and celebrate. We chose Seeds, the new Italian bistro here in town. Their food is really good, and we ordered appetizers, drinks and even had dessert after!  Nice celebration!  Pics of us and the ring…




We came back home and relaxed and settled in for the evening.     

Saturday, November 6th., 2021…… Cathye decided to go Christmas bazaar shopping today! I didn’t. Nuff said! Seriously, I didn’t want to go so she took off and hit several while I stayed back and caught up on my auctions and later, the Nascar Xfinity race. When she returned, I had to help her unload the truck. Mostly Christmas gifts and ideas for making some more…

Sunday, November 7th., 2021……   Last Nascar Cup race today!  I planned on doing nothing today anyway since the weather was dreary and damp, so I settled in and enjoyed the day. Cathye picked up Lona and they headed off to Sweet Home to go to church. Since Lona and Misty live in her trailer park, she decided to stay at her place afterward, and bring in the last of the boxes from the storage shed. She turned on a Hallmark show and went through those and decided what to do with that stuff and then came back home. I helped her unload and then went back to my programs. We had a nice quiet dinner and a quiet evening watching tv.   

Monday, November 8th., 2021…… I had a 7:30 dental appointment this morning. It was no problem since the time change had me up early anyway. I picked up breakfast on the way home. Meanwhile, she walked and fed the dogs. We decided to head over to Albany and finally get those recycle bottles and cans turned in. We stopped for more coffee on the way. After we were done with the recycler, we found we ended up with $65.50, which went into the Branson fund. We put off most of the plans for today because I had gotten a call from Randy this morning before I went to the dentist telling me that Maryanne still wasn’t feeling well from last week and since she wasn’t getting any better, I told him to get her to the ER asap. She doesn’t like hospitals, but must have really felt bad, because she consented to go!  They headed down to Newport to the Hoag Memorial ER. Good thing she did!  They tested her and found she had a burst appendix!  It took all day, but they got into surgery later in the evening and all was good. Since the appendix burst, they had to do an incision (instead of arthroscopic), but the surgeon said they got everything, and that, everything indicated that  she should be fine.  Last communication was that she was out of recovery and back in her room, resting.    

Tuesday, November 9th., 2021……  We had a breakfast scheduled this morning with some of her students from back when she did grief counseling years ago.  I had met Sheri at the open house last week, but today I met Sue and Pam. We had a nice meal and they caught up on things since they last saw each other. Before we left the restaurant, I texted Randy and he was up and going. Maryanne is doing well, but unfortunately, since he hasn’t had any vaccine shots, Randy will not be allowed in to stay with Maryanne at this time. He says he will be checking with them this morning to see if he can take a covid quick test so he can go in, but I won’t know until later how that went. We (Penny and I) both volunteered to go down to help out, but he says he is ok and has it under control at this time. We got back from breakfast, and I had some things to work on. I got the truckster gassed up and started. We went out to the back island to take stock before Kirk’s guys get here later. The plan today is to start cleanout of the evasive plants and ‘volunteer’ trees sprouting up out there. There is also a dead spruce tree which, unfortunately, has to go. I asked about another large plant (sorry, I don’t know what they are) and if it would be a candidate for removal. She says, yes, they will be since they have taken up quite a lot of the area.  When the guys got here, they also made mention of the bamboo trees growing out there. We didn’t realize what they were.  Even though they are just sprouts at this time, we didn’t put them there and we don’t want them taking over, so they will go too. Cathye went over the plan and they got a lot of it cleared out today, with more to do next trip. They used my truckster to haul the brush out into the woods behind the property. Rototilling will need to happen soon, so she can get the bulbs planted before it’s too late in the season.  

This is a pic after they got most of the junk cleaned out.

Lots more to do though…

We were done for the day and settled in to relax and watch tv. I did get a ups delivery today. I had decided I needed to have a backup set of tow pins that insert into the front of the Honda, in case something happens mine.  I make it a point to remove them but if I don’t, they are easy to steal and if that happens, I wouldn’t be able to tow the car!  I test fitted the new ones and found they are exactly like the ones I have and will work well.


Cathye wanted to get out of the house for a ride, so we drove over to Albany and went to The Depot for dinner. It was as good as usual!  After we got back, we settled in and watched some of our taped programs together. We are starting to get used to the time change, and we are tired and ready for bed now at the new adjusted 10:00pm or so, so that’s good!    

No comments:

Post a Comment