About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #16 – Laundry, Quilt Stores, and Lawnmower Shopping

   

Tuesday, June 27th, 2017…..   We needed to do some laundry today so that took up some of the morning. Luckily, we have 5 washers and 6 dryers in this park and the one person in there was drying her stuff and was almost done. So we used all the washers and got this chore completed pretty quickly. Later, we went back to Mattress Firm to check on a request from Treasa. She is looking for a split queen adjustable bed. Turns out they are rare birds indeed!  Our guy knew about them but they don’t stock them and he’s never had a single request for one in the past. And queen split sheet sets are also hard to find.  Most folks get the regular split king. Lot of work to find and put together but maybe you will have good luck in Ohio! After that we drove into the downtown area and went to Fisherman’s Market for dinner.  We had been here before so we ordered and got out pretty quickly. While eating, we met a young family from Fresno who are looking at property in Corvallis.  Their kids had been in the car all day so they were a little wound up and very loud.  But we didn’t mind too much – they were cute kids! We made our way back home (we now know the side roads and can avoid the freeways if we want) and relaxed for the evening.


Wednesday, June 28th, 2017…..  Each day finds us looking for things to do.  We’re tired of driving around all day but we’re also tired of hanging around the campground too. I asked if Lydia had found any quilt stores in Eugene she wanted to go visit.  Of course she did so off we went. We stopped at Ye Olde Pancake House for breakfast and then hit four different quilt stores in Eugene and Springfield.  I got a text from Aimee saying that the owner has sold all four of my items.  Bummer! My fault because I should have contacted him weeks ago and didn’t. Oh well! So while she shopped I racked my brain remembering where we had priced mowers.  We even drove by a lawnmower repair shop in Springfield so I stopped there. He had a used Cub Cadet ($800) but it was a yard tractor and not a garden tractor (see, I am learning!). We went to Sears and looked at their stock. They have what I want but most everything is $2000-$3500 which is way out of my price range! On the way out we found a section of the store with returns and found one we liked.  I got the salesman over there and was told it was last year’s model and was either a demo or a return but it still has a new warranty. It was $1519.  I also got a call from Patti our new insurance agent.  She has both home and vehicle policies ready for us to review so we arranged to meet her at 3:00pm. So we went back home to rest for a bit then left again to see her.  In our research we found that insurance would be cheaper up here and we did find out that it was - but turns only slightly.  We upgraded both our policies so we ended up spending more. That task accomplished, we went back to lawnmower shopping so we headed to Lowe’s and Home Depot but they didn’t have anything that I liked.  We found a Husqvarna dealer but their prices were waaay too high ($3500-$6500)! Even their trade-ins were expensive. After the sticker shock we decided to head back home. On the way I stopped at Jerry’s Hardware but they have a sparse stock being prime mowing season. I also wanted to swing by Dick’s Sporting goods to check out their 4th of July tent sale - bought a ball cap.  We got home and chatted with our neighbors a bit before coming in to watch tv.  

2 comments:

  1. check out craigs list or let go. or go to some garage or estate sales. You might find something there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have looked on all the local sites, even out to Portland and Klamath Falls and Bend. Aimee found a John Deere at her neighborhood yard sale but it sold before we could get there.

      Delete