About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, July 1, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #17 – Sticker Shock and Cough Medicine!

  

Thursday, June 29th, 2017…..  After sleeping on it, we decided to go get the $1519. mower from Sears.  But we did have to make a trip to BofA to get info on what would be involved in getting our wire transfer done.  Escrow sent us instructions which I emailed to our bank guy so he could be prepared. That done we went to KFC for a light lunch.  We stopped at the Sears store in Corvallis to check their returns but it was just a satellite store so they didn’t have anything. We drove to Lebanon and went down Hwy 20 and I noticed a lawnmower sitting out in front of a used tool store.  We stopped and here’s where it gets interesting!  It was Walt’s mower!  Turns out he sold most of his stuff to that store, probably in bulk like I wanted to do with him.  I found the table saw, his lathe, drill press, etc, etc.  All were ridiculously priced (they wanted $2999 for the lawnmower!) so we drove on, knowing where his stuff went and that we could expect the place to be bare when we get in (which is what we expected). We headed back down to Eugene via back roads and stopped in Brownsville at another quilt store.  Then we went to Sears. We got a younger salesperson who was ready to write us up.  He was just explaining that the returned mower came with a 30 return policy but that the 30 days starts when we buy the mower, not when we take possession.  I was upset.  Then Tom, the older fellow we spoke to yesterday took over and immediately said we didn’t want the returned mower.  Turns out that even though it was the previous model, it was returned for whatever reason a year ago and is still unsold.  Tom had previously checked the serial number but didn’t get much info and said he couldn’t even guarantee that it would even run.  That and the 30 day policy convinced me!  We looked at the other models and long story short – we opted for the new model plus upgraded to the Pro series. Walt's old mower had a 52" blade.  This model has a 54" blade and is the largest they make (short of those commercial models you see mowing the parks). The next step up is a brush hog that you pull behind a big tractor. 


Here's what I have to mow:


And I got the 3 year extended warranty. Plus they will deliver as I don’t have my truck up here yet. So I’m now is sticker shock for real! But at least we know that we have the best they sell and that it will do what we want it to do. We headed home and rested.  Lydia was napping on the drive.  She has had a nagging cough for a few days now.  She thinks it sinus drainage as it only bothers her when she first gets up and then lessens as she gets hot liquids in her. She’s taking an antihistamine which is making her sleepy. We’ll get a non drowsy version when we get back to the store.  But she called Scan anyway just to double check if there are any restrictions about finding an urgent care should we need to go.  We’re good plus I’ll be keeping a close eye on her. 

Later, I was out talking with our neighbor, Lee, when Lydia texted asking if I was hungry.  She’s feeling fine so we decided to go out for a light meal.  We chose Elmer’s and she had a cobb salad and I had French dip both of which were very tasty.  I think she’s decided that she’s come down with a cold that she thinks she got by laying in bed with the air conditioning blowing directly on her.  We looked up CVS stores in the area in case she calls in to her doctor for a z-pak or something else. Turns out the Target close by us has a CVS pharmacy inside their store. After that, we went home to find a line of rigs waiting to check in.  Interesting note – the office here closes at 5:00pm sharp.  We see rigs coming in for the day as late as 9:00pm. Remember, it doesn’t get dark here until 9:30! These guys have to either find their reservations on the board or self register and find an available space. Maybe I should volunteer to man the office for them!  NOT!  



Friday, June 30th, 2017…..   We’re still getting used to the weather here.  Nights and are cool (in the 50s) and this morning, even though the skies were crystal clear with no clouds, it was still pretty chilly. I go out for my walks each morning and I’ve found the round trip to the Dari Mart is about 1 mile.  Better than nothing! By the time I get back I have to take off my long sleeve shirt.  It got up to 85° yesterday so we usually run the air for a while especially if we’ve been gone for any length of time, to cool off the rig if there’s no breeze. Lydia’s cough is no better and she called in earlier to her doctor so we hung around the rig for a while.  We needed to go the grocery store for a few things so we did that.  The doctor sent a prescription to CVS so I headed there to pick it up.  Hopefully it will help. We fixed dinner and then drove into town for ice cream and then came back and watched tv.  

No comments:

Post a Comment