About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #15 – Back and Forth & Rylee’s B-Day!


 

Monday, Feb 17th, 2020……  I slept in a bit this morning and then got up and dressed and had Rylee out and fed. The weather here has changed now. We had several days of clear skies and then the last few days it was rainy and cloudy. But today it is really pretty blue skies and nice even though it still is pretty chilly. I left after breakfast to go see Lydia. She had a rough night and still has not been able to eat solid foods. They have her on three different meds for the queasiness which they rotate to see which one works best. She is trying to fight off a low-grade fever so they have her on Tylenol every 4 hours. I go back and forth as does my sister so she sees us several times each day.
   
Tuesday, Feb 18th, 2020…… Still nothing good to report. She hasn’t improved much – just weak and bloated and sores in her mouth and no appetite – all symptoms from the chemo. I am sure glad I got her into the er when I did on Sunday! They can never tell how each patient is going to react to chemo. We were not on the no-issues list that’s for sure. I can’t imagine how it would have been waiting any longer to get her in. She’s got the best care and this place is immaculate!
  
Wednesday, Feb 19th, 2020……  When I went in today, she was awake and talking. The doctors told her she is anemic – low red and white blood cells, a blood infection (e coli) and she has a slight urinary infection – all caused by the chemo. All are being addressed by meds. They will be giving her blood soon. That is supposed to make her perk up a bit. For the most part, my sister and I have just been there to talk to her between her naps. The mouth sores have made it hard to speak so take that into consideration should you choose to call her at this time. Today, her phone was off so I guessed correctly that she wanted to rest.  Today was bingo at the senior center but I didn’t feel much like going so I spent some time resting today. I went back in the evening and she was doing a little better but she was still experiencing a 99.2 fever which is not so bad but it makes her have the chills and she shivers and shakes so she was getting Tylenol to help with that.

Thursday, Feb 20th, 2020……  Happy Birthday Rylee!  She is two years old today. But still a pain in the ass!  But, hey, we still love her!  I made a run to Walmart to get some groceries and had to pick up some special treats for our birthday girl for today. I bought her one of those giant twisted marrow chew bones (which she proceeded to chew to pieces in just a few minutes). Later, I went back to the hospital and my sister came there an hour or so later. Lydia was sleeping for the hour while I was there but woke up and was doing better than yesterday. She laughed when I told her about Rylee’s morning. Nothing new to report on her condition. We’re hoping that the meds will knock out the infection and the red blood cells will pep her up a bit. She’s still having issues with diarrhea but has help getting to the bedside toilet. Plus, they are helping with the chafing and tenderness so that’s good.
As for me - I am doing well. I did my bone density scan and I am waiting for the doctor to approve and forward orders for my annual Reclast infusion. Around the house, I haven’t done much other than keep the butthead occupied and the house tidy and go back and forth to the hospital. I am really glad to see the warm, sunny days right now. My neighbor was out mowing his yard this afternoon.  None of the neighbors have the low wet areas that we have here so they can get theirs done way sooner than I can. We need another week or so with no rain for that to even have a chance to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment