About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, February 3, 2020


Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #10 – Dog Sitting and the Start of Treatment Begins

 

Saturday, Feb 1st, 2020…… Nothing going on today. The weather here was nice yesterday (no rain) but it rained last night and it’s supposed to be 90% chance of rain today. Skies looked ok for now when I had monster puppy out early this morning.  We’ll see what happens later…
No rains. Huh! Oh well, now the lawn can dry out some more! Nothing on the agenda for today. Lydia has had many calls from friends and is always glad to hear from them. She’s doing well. The pain is minimal at times and flares up occasionally. But she tries hard not to take any of the prescription pain meds unless it’s a really bad session. I think she’s only taken one hydrocodone since we have been back.
I fixed us breakfast this morning. My sister came over alter with Quincy again. She will be leaving tomorrow morning to go down to Rogue River (188 mi.) for the celebration of life for one of her childhood friends. Janice is driving and will visit her family while sis goes to see everyone. Later, I made dinner and we had a quiet evening at home.         

Sunday, Feb 2nd, 2020……  Another quiet day. I got up and got the pooches out for their walk/run out back. The only other thing I did today was go out and clean up around the new carport. The guys didn’t leave a mess but I wanted to wipe down the painted parts that were on the ground and had some dirt on them when they got installed. I moved the boat trailer under the carport and cleaned up some old cardboard boxes that had been left in the rain last week. They were dry enough to be cut up for recycle. That was the extent of my day. I came in and watched the Super Bowl and after that we watched the first show for season three of The Masked Singer. Out of the first six:  As soon as I heard about the super bowls and then saw the White Tiger, I had picked Rob Gronkowski.  Tiger is still in so I have to wait on that. Not a clue on The Turtle, or The Kangaroo among the others. I am trying to figure out Miss Monster. I know it’s an older black female who can really sing. Maybe sounds a little like Chaka Khan. I think The Llama is Danny Bonaduce – only because I know he’s currently he’s a radio show host in Seattle and the clues mentioned both of those. Didn’t guess Lil Wayne – but neither did any of the panel!
         
 
Monday, Feb 3rd, 2020…… We got up early and I got showered and dressed and took the dogs out again for their morning ritual. Even though there is no rain, Rylee still finds all of the wet spots to wallow and romp in! She got her early morning cold water shower to get cleaned up before I could dry them both off and then bring them in to feed them.
I fixed us bacon and eggs this morning. At around 10:00 or so, we headed over to our oncology meeting in Corvallis. We met with Dr. Ribeiro, who charted out her next steps. She has the aggressive form of lymphoma, which, as he said, is the kind we want – because it’s the easiest treatable. Lots of meds out there, he said, that will work to clean it up quickly and easily. She will need both chemo (three rounds on the chemo unless the pet scan is not favorable) and then radiation will start. He said the bump on her heel is typical with lymphoma which is definitely tied to her 21-year old comprised immune system. She has to try to stay off of her feet as much as possible. She already has appointments for the pet scan and the radiation consult. He has scheduled her for an EKG (to make sure her heart is strong enough for the treatments), and for wound care. When we got home, she heard from both of those offices and they are set for next week. He added some more labs so she did those in-house before we left (so she doesn’t need to go tomorrow). Her kidney transplant team in Portland has temporarily taken her off of her anti-rejection drugs to prep for the treatment, which is good. So, all in all, she got a lot done today with more to come this week and next. She’s handling this pretty well but does have her moments of anxiety and depression.
We stopped by America’s Best so I could return my recently-acquired sunglasses. Turns out they made a clerical error and the progression was set too high in the lenses. But just for the sunglasses. My tv glasses (single vision for distance for reclining to watch tv – think about that!) and my regular progressive glasses are working well and I’m adjusting to them pretty quickly. They will call me when the new ones are back. We stopped at Arby’s in Albany and got lunch and then came back home. Lydia has to prep for the pet scan and is on a special diet 72 hours out so I fixed her spinach and cottage cheese for her lunch. Dinner tonight will be chicken breast and cauliflower. My sister got back with Bill and Debbie and Debbie’s little sister, Jan, and they came by to visit and pick up the Q. Later, we ate and settled in for a quiet evening.   

No comments:

Post a Comment