About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #51 – Working Through Some Issues & Getting Ready for the Big Move

 


Thursday, August 5th., 2021……  I had to stay around the house today. Cathye went off to meet the radio guys, who were coming early to beat the heat. I needed to be here because I am having my house cleaned. This is a new crew and I need to be here. Cathye said they were working away over there, starting upstairs in the back building and going forward to the house.  I worked here, putting things away and picking up dog toys and bones. The ladies got here at 11:30am and started in. This first time is a deep clean, so they were at it for over 4 hours. I stayed with them and we went over a few things, then I went out to the garage to work. I needed to check the wiring on my truck and/or trailer because one light doesn’t work. I ended up replacing the whole connector so I think I’m good now. The ladies did a bang-up job and left just before Cathye got back from her day at the Crawfordsville house. I think I will use them once a month to start and we’ll see if that’s enough.    

Friday, August 6th., 2021……  Today was the start of my first symptoms of a cold coming on. First time in over 4 years and the first one here in Oregon!  When this comes up, I get a sore throat, then a runny nose, then chest congestion and finally then start to cough up and then I get better. I am in the sore throat part. I was very quiet – which Cathye has never seen! – so she got worried. I said I wasn’t feeling well so she decided to make me stay home. I was good with that at the time. I knew I needed to take it easy. No fever, no chills, no other signs of anything else, but I knew I needed rest. That also helps with my back, I want it better too and rest will help that.   

Saturday, August 7th., 2021…...  I’m not sure of the sequence of things at the house but I know that things got done over there!  The radio guys already came over and made their first pickup. I’m told they need to make at least two trips. The engine guys came over and got their items that we set aside in our major sorting project last week. Teen Challenge came by and got really picky. They only took certain things. Our mistake and we will not use them again. Her neighbor will be looking through the rest of the stuff for scrap and what’s left will go to the dump. Meanwhile, the mobile home project is stalled. Actually, it’s stopped completely! Her contractor has been awol and despite several attempts to reach him, he has not responded. We drove to Home Depot and had the carpet team look for his order. They said measurements had been taken but no order had been placed so it was cancelled. He tells us he is waiting for it to come in. Lies!  So, now we know he has skipped out. It has come down to ultimatums. He is out and Cathye has written him a letter asking for a response and all items that he has “warehoused’ delivered to the property by close of business on Friday. We have text messages from him saying he has the fridge, washer/dryer, the carpet pad, and part of the countertops. He owes her a dishwasher, a microwave, the carpet, and the rest of the countertop. We will take whatever he delivers (which I’m guessing will be nothing) and start again with another contractor. Cathye has already found a guy who can spare a crewmember to come over and complete the job. The problem will be in recovering any fees. He will likely argue that she still owes him but we will settle with filing with the contractor’s board and go after his bond. We’re resolved to just move on at this point and she wants the job done!          

Sunday, August 8th., 2021……  Another day at the house. I am still in the runny nose symptom, and have to stay home but Cathye went over to get more things done.  I’m feeling much better but she’s insisting I stay home. So, I’m under ‘house arrest’ for a while. I caught up on my races and other taped tv programs. I did go out and take some pics of my new toy. Turns out it’s a 1976 Cushman Truckster. I know it’s rough, but it runs great and will work for my needs.




When she got back, she went off and ran some errands and got a few groceries. We watched tv until bedtime.   

Monday, August 9th., 2021…… I cancelled my acupuncture appointment today.  Runny nose is gone and just starting to cough a little. I believe that today is the appraisal from the buyer’s lender. Cathye doesn’t need to be there so she took off to run some errands. She took Jamie to breakfast and hit Kohls and Costco on the way home.  I am feeling much better but - on the boss’s order – I am still not doing much here at the house. My poor grass is begging to be mowed but I’m behaving. But her plan is working and I’m much better. I stayed in the house and watched tv and worked on a few power naps in between. I also need to call and make reservations for rv camping for next week. We want to take the rv out for a test run and we found some time next week. There is a nice campground in Junction City, which is about 45 minutes from here and that will work for a two-day outing.        

Tuesday, August 10th., 2021……  I actually got to go out of the house today!  

My mistake - today is the appraisal so we are going out to make sure all of the buildings are unlocked and everything is looking good. She has transferred all of her potted plants from outside either to here or to her trailer but she still wants to water the lawn and some of the flowerbed plants and bushes that are left. The weather is hot!  It is in the mid-90s all week, with highs getting up to 104º coming later in the week. I drove us there and we got the water going and I got my first look since everyone has been here. Wow!  Not much left to do.  Her neighbor will be coming over tomorrow to pick through the scrap. Corey will be there too to make a run to the dump with cardboard.  We still need to get ahold of my sister’s picker though. She found this guy named Bryce, who is a shady character at best, but she says he will pretty much take anything he can make a buck on. Problem is she can’t reach him and he is probably homeless so we can’t get an address. But, after Greg and Corey get most of the junk out, we can always make another dump run with whatever is left. That leaves just her furniture and wardrobe and misc. boxes, the utility trailer, and the Shasta trailer. All of that can wait until close of escrow. I don’t expect my carport (for the Shasta) to be installed before then but we can wait. We also don’t think the new contractor will be able to complete her mobile before escrow but no worries – I have prepped space here for those things. I can move everything in one load with my new flatbed trailer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment