About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #53 – Finally Getting the Mobile Done & Taking a Relaxing RV Trip

 

Again, my apologies for the long blog this time. It seems that my days are a little busier now and it is harder to get to my laptop than it used to be! Good times though and I’m super happy!


Tuesday, August 17th., 2021…… Today we’re working with the new contractor!  We actually have two. Turns out the couple who are buying Cathye’s house in Crawfordsville the guys in the building trade (I think he works for a mobile home manufacturer). Anyway, he gave us a couple of names and one guy, Randy, has been to the house and we gave him a punch list of things to be done. He will do some and he knows a guy who will take on the rest. Don, who works for the mobile home maker, left his job, and moved down to Calif. But he’s up here now visiting a sick relative and can use the money. So, between the two of them we are going to get things done. Today Cathye went over to the house, and I went to the carpet house here in town. I took pics of what is in stock today plus the many remnants that would work in her two rooms (funny – the old contractor could have done this too!).  Later, Cathye came back, and she bought the carpet and pad she wanted and arranged for delivery on Friday. We checked on their install timeframe and they were too far out but referred us to a guy who does overflow work for them. I called and left a message, but we later found out that Don could do the carpet too!  Sweet!      

Wednesday, August 18th., 2021……  Today we needed to get the motorhome ready for our mini trip. I had booked us a couple of nights in a rv park in Junction City, about 40 miles for us, so we could take the motorhome out for a little shakedown cruise. It would also be Cathye’s (and Jama’s) first time in it!  Cathye headed off to her volunteer job at the food bank, and then spent the afternoon with her friend, Robin. Today was one year since Jim passed and they went to a few places she and Jim frequented. They also went to the gravesite (he’s not there but some of his ashes were placed there).  I know she needed her time and also how tough that one year day can be.  I loaded up chairs and such and got my clothes and meds ready to take out.  When she got back, she did the same with her clothes and meds and we were set. We went over and met with Don and got a lot of his questions answered and she gave him her list.    

Thursday, August 19th., 2021…...  Today was camping day!  We had a check-in time of 1:00pm and it was only a short drive, so we weren’t in any hurry. Cathye went out to run some errands and I pulled the coach out of the garage and got final items loaded. When she returned, I showed her my procedure for hooking up the car and she picked it up quickly and we were ready to go!  The drive was nice, and everything went well. I did break the plastic pull handle on the outside by the door so I will need to look into replacing that later. The only other thing that concerns me is the (Aladdin) system camera and logistics system. This is a dash-mounted unit with a separate toggle switch, and I use it all the time for speed, engine performance, plus the rear view and side cameras. 

Everything works as it should, but the problem is that I can’t seem to be able to shut off the system when we’re parked. It wants to stay on, or in standby, which I think is causing my issues with the started batteries draining. I will need to troubleshoot that later in the day.  Anyway, we got in and unhooked and parked with no issues (other than the Aladdin). It was nice to be out, and we took some time to relax and enjoy the day! 




Later, we walked and fed the dogs and then took off north to Monroe to a place I was wanting to go for a while now. It is called Long Timber Brewing and it was built since Lydia and I moved up here. The place was amazing, with massive timbers spanning the huge dining area and bar. The food was pretty good too. We will be going back again.  We got back to the coach and made another run with the girls and then settled in to watch tv until calling it a night.    

Friday, August 20th., 2021……  We knew we had to make a return run back to the trailer for the carpet/pad delivery, so we headed off to Prairie Schooner for chicken fried steaks for breakfast and then loaded up the dogs and drove back up to meet the delivery. Don was also coming and met up with us later in the morning to go over the plan. He will be doing the electrical work too and we wanted to make sure we knew what he would be doing. He will also be painting the bathroom vanity that we thought we either needed to scrub from all of Taz’s sloppy texturing job in the bathroom or replace. All of that took a few hours but we got everything worked out and went back to spend time back relaxing at the rig. Later, Penny and Butch came over to visit and we went out to Chinese in town, then came back and had a few drinks and sat out around the campfire and had a nice visit.     

Saturday, August 21st., 2021…… We had a super time out in the coach, but it was time to head back home. We prepped to leave and then we hooked up the Honda and drove back home. Once we got home and the car unhooked, I backed the motorhome into the garage, and we unloaded the rig and rested for a few minutes. Then we headed back to the mobile. Don had all of the carpet in and had started working on the countertops. He had some nice laminate material that Cathye loved and would be customizing everything so it would be seamless. We were both thrilled by his craftsmanship and speed!    

Sunday, August 22nd., 2021…… Sunday morning so after we walked the dogs and ate breakfast and cleaned up the house a bit, she headed off to church. I watched some little league world series games and rested up a bit. Don was working only part of the day today. but he got almost ¾ of the countertops in!  He also painted the bathroom vanity and reinstalled that. It looks better than anything we could have bought!  

Later in the day, we headed over to The Pointe. Cathye had all of the estate team meet for dinner. She thanked them all and gave them all thank you cards (w/cash/gift cards) because they worked so hard. This was an extremely large endeavor and took over 10 months to pull off so she was grateful! 

l-r:  Mark, Corey, Sean, Cathye, Gerald, Sally, Penny


l-r:  Sean, Cathye, Penny, Sally, Robin, Gerald (the young lady was a server there and is Robin's relation) 

Monday, August 23rd., 2021……  Today was moving day. But first I had to go to my acupuncture. No worries. Cathye would go to the house and meet the crew. She drove my truck with the flatbed trailer hooked up and positioned it out in front of the house. I took her truck. By the time I got there, they had the truck loaded with the smaller items and the girls and Corey and I managed to muscle the juke box into Robin’s van. We loaded the couches and tv and dressers and cabinets on the trailer and we headed over. We came up with a plan for the juke box and I backed the van up to the porch and we used my ramps and some boards to roll the heavy piece most of the way into place in the trailer. The rest went easily. 


The only things left are those that we had already brought to my garage, and they can go over there anytime. It was a busy morning, but we got it all done with some great teamwork!    

No comments:

Post a Comment