About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #59 – Bonelli Bluffs, and on to Hemet!

 


Sunday, September 26th., 2021……  A lazy day for me. I woke up and took the dogs out and then Cathye called. She had a late night at the reception because she was on the clean-up team. But all was good and she’s ready for the day. They are going out to breakfast and then will spend some more time together and then head to the airport. I hope PHX is going to be ok with her temporary license. She will probably have to show her Costco photo again! Haha!

Meanwhile, I caught up on my blog and got also got a returned call from one of my high school buds. Jerry Jeter is now in Florida, and I got his number the other day and he called back. We talked for a bit and got caught up. I took the dogs out for a good long walk, and we watched the folks breaking camp and heading out after their weekend outings. Some folks have it down to a calm science and others are panicked!  Fun to watch!

Around 2:30, I headed toward the airport but decided I needed another Weinerschnitzel fix and stopped at one on the way. I got to the airport and found the cell phone waiting lot. I got her call, got her safely back in my arms and we are back together again!  Yaay!  I sure missed her.   We came back to the rig and sat outside and enjoyed the evening. We shared the burrito leftover from yesterday and she really liked that I saved her some! Early night. 

Monday, September 27th., 2021…… This morning I found out that Cathye’s stepson from Phoenix (Chris) was driving his wife (Angie) to Newport Beach for some much-needed R & R after the wedding and reception.  They left around 5:00am and we invited them to come by here for breakfast before heading over to their hotel. Cathye made a huge breakfast feast and we sat outside and had a nice visit while we ate. They left and I cleaned the dishes and then we rested for a bit. We decided to head out to run some errands. I had found a Smart & Final store close by and wanted to check to see if they had my much-craved Ramona’s burritos in stock. They did! I stocked up and we headed out. Ken and Sandie were in the area and asked if we were in San Dimas, but they were with another couple and couldn’t stop by. So, we stayed out for lunch and the next stop was In & Out!  She had never been, and the lines weren’t too bad. We had our double doubles and fries and shakes, and she was marginally impressed. We came back home and found later that we didn’t need much of a dinner, so we chose a chef’s salad and apple slices with caramel dip. We watched Dancing with the Stars and called it a night.      

Tuesday, September 28th., 2021……  The weather is gloomy but that’s ok. The temps are down for now. Tomorrow they say will be way hotter! We got going, walked and fed the pups, and then headed off to breakfast. Norm’s Hanger today…  It was a quiet morning there and we got in and sat on the patio. Not too much aircraft activity but it was nice there and the food was pretty good too.  Nothing planned for the morning. Rick and Janie are coming by at 2:00pm to visit with the plan to go off together to San Gabriel to The Galley for ‘linner’. We sat around and enjoyed the lazy day and then fed the dogs and headed off. I had never driven there from this location, so I needed gps to get there. It was 35 minutes and we saw the back side of San Gabriel. The meal at the Galley was really good. They are part of the old North Woods Inn conglomerate, so they serve the really good purple cabbage salad, and they also have the cheese bread that North Woods Inn is famous for. I ordered extra!  After that, we headed west and drove Colorado Blvd. and did the Rose parade route backwards from Sierra Madre and ended up at Orange Grove Blvd. where they always film from. We also detoured into a palatial neighborhood and saw some of the homes of the rich and famous.  Well, rich anyway! We got back and rested, and they left to head home, and we walked the dogs and watched tv until bedtime.     

Wednesday, September 29th., 2021…… Today was touring day!  We walked and fed the dogs then headed out with them for the day. The plan was to stop and have breakfast (McDonald’s) and then got to Norwalk and my old haunts there. We found a mickey d’s and ate and then went by the house. This is a side view. They have added a carport and driveway in the back yard. Sad. Boy, it has gone downhill! 

Sad, because most of the other houses on the street (Sproul St.) were kept up pretty nicely. We stopped at Norwalk Park and let the dogs walk for a bit. They still have the old Sproul House on the park premises, and it was looking good.

We went by my high school (Norwalk High) and my community college (Cerritos College) and then headed to Long Beach, where I drove us by the old Douglas Aircraft/McDonnell Douglas/Boeing facility where I worked. Most everything is gone and what’s left is Boeing support or re-utilized buildings for some other companies. I drove to the 710 and continued on to downtown Long Beach. We drove out to the Queen Mary and then cruised over the route that the Indy Cars raced on in the Long Beach Grand Prix. We drove down Ocean Blvd. and stopped at Cherry Beach so she could go dip her toes in the water!  No dogs allowed, so I had to stay up top and take pics!


From there, we drove over to the kids house in Westminster. Randy had been to Camping World and got a few items I had requested, and I picked those up. Before we said our goodbyes, we heard some jets in the air!  I caught the Blue Angels in flight right over the kid’s house!  There is an airshow in Long Beach this weekend and they were out practicing.

We said our goodbyes and headed back to San Dimas and rested up from the day. Later, we walked the dogs and came back to find out the left rear tire on the Honda was flat! I got the old one off and the spare on and we headed out to get it repaired.

No luck, most everything was closed for the day. I will go back tomorrow morning. We ate in and relaxed and prepped the rig a little for our trip out tomorrow morning.         

Thursday, September 30th., 2021…...  First order of business today was to get the tire repaired. I went back to the place, and they got me in and serviced pretty quickly. Funny, in Oregon, they do not charge you to fix a tire, hoping for your future business, I guess. Not here. They charged me $30 bucks!  But it was all good and they had me on my way in 35 minutes. We got the rig ready and headed out. Today’s destination was Golden Village Palms in Hemet. The drive was easy and surprisingly the traffic was light and we got into camp a little after noon. They had our club in back-in sites that were very tight, but I got in and parked ok. We are here with the Camping Squares again for another outing. But this time, the club is sharing the campground with two other FMCA clubs. We have a total of 49 rigs. One of the other clubs has taken charge and even though we attended a meet-and-greet, it was really their meeting. We heard from several about how the weekend was going to go. Not exactly what we expected or wanted, but we kept quiet.  We had already been in the pools and spas and went there again after the meeting. We got out and got dressed and went down to the happy hour beerfest dealy. Not sure why they called it Octoberfest because the park was not allowed to serve alcohol. They did have a surprisingly good karaoke host who sang well and accompanied anyone who wanted to do a song. No, we did not do that! But we did dance. Macarena (Cathye), electric slide (me), and a slow dance and a two-step. It was fun. Our first dance!  Awww!  They are supposed to have a beerfest garden this weekend, so without beer, we will see how that goes.        

Friday, October 1st., 2021……  I had to wear the duck that I had received last outing. It was given to me by Janie (just because I came the farthest to the campout!). 

Now, at this outing, I get to watch folks and see who I will bestow it upon. We had an enjoyable day, visiting and lounging around the campground. The other two clubs were socially distant but most of our group accepted it and was ok with that. The weather was hot!  We had short windows only in the morning and late in the afternoon when we could walk the dogs on the pavement. But they were happy to be out and content when they were in the cool ac in the coach! Later in the day, we met up with everyone (all three groups) in the small club room for ‘heavy hors d’oeuvres’. Cathye had made her triple berry cobbler, but we decided not to share with that group!. I had gone to the store to buy whipped cream for the dessert but brought back teriyaki chicken and we just heated that up. We will save the dessert for our group!  The interaction was better this time, but we did get another experience with their club’s game night rules that they were going to host later.  No worries, we were not attending anyway. The park set up a tent and for tonight, they had a hip DJ dude who had to play German oompah music and since it turned out to be ‘byob’ there was no one there!  They brought in a cheese sandwich truck (?) and we bought one (for tomorrow) just to support those folks.  We headed back to the pools and spa and relaxed and visited with friends before calling it a night.

Saturday, October 2nd., 2021…… As mentioned, the campground was supposed to be hosting an “Octoberfest”, with food trucks and beer and music. Since they messed this all up, they decided to refund each rig $25.00. That was a good start. They did host a craft faire, and a few in our club set up and sold some of their handmade items. I hear they did pretty well! They also had a pet parade, but we passed on that as well. One of our group did bring their pet tortoise (yes, they travel with it as well as birds! go figure!) and walked it in the parade! I don’t know who won but I heard it was fun! Later, we went to their dinner and dance in the main clubhouse. The park manager met with each of our groups and said they were sorry they messed up. They would be bringing wine in for us to have. Not drink it there – just have!  Well, that didn’t work out too well! They had a dance band – a group who only wanted to play 70s and 80s rock – not our thing, and most of us figured out where to get wine pullers and glasses and it was on!  



Like I said, not our music but some folks did get up and dance. We left there and went and got our swim suits and hit the pools and spas and relaxed for the rest of the evening. It was a fun time, even though things didn’t go exactly as planned. Oh, I did find a candidate for the duck. Actually two.  But neither one showed up for the meeting where the duck presentation and the fines were done. The pic shows me passing it on to no one! 


But I found my guy (Mark) at the dance and presented it there!  He gets to wear it next month.  

 Tomorrow, we head out on our way home. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment