About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, February 15, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #11 – Paying Taxes/Getting Refunds and the Nascar Season Starts Again!

 


Thursday, February 11th., 2021…… We had some rain again last night but just enough to wet the ground when I went out with Rylee this morning. I brought the trash cans in and then went to the shop to check on the fridge. The drinks were nice and cold and the water in the freezer was rock solid! Yaay!  I now need to go to Walmart and stock up on sodas for the guys. I had bought some new white crew socks when I was at Costco and loaded them in to wash. I can now go through the old ones and get rid of those that are worn out. I still remember (fondly) teasing Lydia about tossing all of my holey socks (and underwear) out when she washed!  

I called my tax office and asked a question. I hadn’t received anything from the state indicating my refund from last year. California does that but Claudine said that Oregon doesn’t do that and she has my files and, if I was ready, I could come in today.  So, I gathered up my files and headed in to see her.  After I got home, she called and asked me to come back in with my property tax paperwork because I have enough for itemized deductions this year, what with all of Lydia’s medical. She also said she would check to see if she could use last year’s property tax numbers to maybe add to my 2019 refund. She also informed me that although the stimulus money is not taxable, it still counts as income and will be a factor for refunds, and most likely I will be paying this year to the state.         

Friday, February 12th., 2021……  Cloudy day today. Temps are right above freezing for the most part. But there is no ice and the roads are not slippery or anything, so that is good!  Portland and some other areas north of me got a light dusting of snow. It’s funny because some of that area is actually at a lower elevation than I am here (340’).  Kirk’s dad is in the hospital in Portland dealing with cancer treatment, and his mom says that there is snow and ice all around her hotel. I sure hope he can get up there soon!  As for me, I had no plans, so I hung around the house most of the day.  Later in the morning, Janet, from Tristar Tax, called to tell me I could come in and pick up my tax papers. Claudine said that she was right and that I would owe the state $1079. this year. But I am getting back $3567. from the federal. Plus, her amendment for last year’s state would also net me $580.  So, all in all, not too bad. She said her latest updates indicate that I would also be getting the $600. stimulus check that they owe me for Lydia and also for the next $1400. payout, I should be getting that for each of us as well. All of this is because she was alive in the 2020 tax year and therefore is eligible. But due to the death certificate being filed, they don’t send her checks out with mine. We’ll see.

I made another linner so I just snacked later in the evening. I watched the Nascar Truck race and called it a night.    

Saturday, February 13th., 2021…… The weather here is rain, rain, rain. The temps are higher now so no more snow is in the forecast for the lower Willamette valley (at least in my area). I awoke to rain and got showered and dressed and waited a few minutes and then walked Rylee. I managed to get out and back when there was only a light mist falling. It came down in sprinkles for another few minutes, then stopped completely again. Forecast is for rain until Thursday. This will cause both Rylee’s dragstrip out back and the ditch out front to gather water. Here are a couple of pics of that ditch out in front. There is a steady stream of water which comes from pvc piping coming from two sources on my property. I have a French drain and several areas where my gutters run out into the ditch. So, I expect this ditch as well as the creek in the back will fill up even more in the next few days.


I received the paperwork for the Oregon 2019 tax update and signed that and also made out my check for Oregon state tax that I owed and then made a run to the post office to mail both of them. While I was out, I stopped at Mickey D’s and got breakfast and then went to Walmart and stocked up on drinks for the mini fridge in the shop. My guys will be happy.  I watched supercross and then the Nascar Xfinity race. Tomorrow is the Daytona 500, which kicks off the Nascar Cup season! I had bought some more stuffed salmon from Costco so I took two of them out for today and tomorrow. For tonight, I sliced up and fried some potatoes to go with it.

Sunday, February 14th., 2021…… More rain. Yeah, I know – this is Oregon!  I’m ok with the weather here and actually enjoy the seasons so I can’t complain. I would like to see one or two days between storms though!  I was able to get butthead out and back with no worries and no rain.  Today, I had nothing on my to-do list so I made coffee and breakfast. I had bought a rather large package of turkey sausage at Costco and didn’t freeze it so I pulled some out and cooked them up so I could freeze the rest.  Today, I cut up the sausage and added scrambled eggs and cheese (sis had used my electric slicer and brought me some freshly grated cheddar so I added that) and made a couple of breakfast burritos. Yummy!  Along with the coffee, I drank up the rest of my V8 and filled up nicely!  I got set up to watch the Daytona 500 and started that. But, after only 15 laps, they had a caution for a huge wreck and while they were cleaning up, lightning hit within 20 miles of the speedway and caused them to red flag the race. Then the rains hit the area and that lasted several hours. So that meant I had time to watch The Hustler that I had taped on Thursday. Problem on that was that on Thursday night they had cut into programming for local (Portland) weather updates. So, when they got back to the show, they had already eliminated one guy. I thought I was figuring it out and eventually zoned in on the two girls and ended up getting it right.  She stumped the others and won $120,000.  After that, I watched the race, which went well into the morning hours in Florida. But at least they got it in!  

No comments:

Post a Comment