About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, March 23, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #23 – Living at Home and Hunkering Down but Making Medico Trips


 

Friday, Mar 20th, 2020……  If you are new to this blog, you will see that I post every 3-4 days or so.
Lydia is doing well at home, adjusting to a routine again. They have her going to dialysis in the Albany facility. But her time today was 7:00am so that will take some getting used to. Hopefully, it will change. Sis stayed the night so we could be sure to get up and going. We got her into the wheelchair and out to the car. I know I will now have to begin plans on building a wheelchair ramp for the front porch. We got her there with no issues and they had her fill out all of the necessary first-timer forms. They said to come back around 11:00am. We left and got Starbucks and came back to Lebanon to rest and get chores done. On the way, I stopped at the Lebanon sister facility and introduced myself and made sure that she was on ‘the list’ to get transferred there if/when a chair opens up.  They already had her name in the system and they were really nice there and when we said she could come at whatever time opening is available, they said she just got moved up the list as others want specific times and days.   
When we went back to pick Lydia up, they were a little behind schedule so we had to wait a bit.  She said it was a nice facility and she can rest or read or watch tv and it’s nice and quiet. BUT she is still on the early-bird schedule! She has to be there by 6:45am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  It’s only 18.1 miles door to door and it’s an easy 20-min. drive, but the one here in town is only about 4 miles from us.  
Once we got her home and tucked in bed to rest for the day, I fed her lunch and Penny went home, and then I rested a bit myself. I still need to get to the store for every day groceries but we are ok for now. I have asked her to make a list of anything she wants me to get.         
  
Saturday, Mar 21st, 2020……  Today was an easy day for her. She got to sleep late and rest for the day. I have a list of exercises for her to do but all I can do is remind her that we need to keep them up. She does them from her bed or chair. We have a porta potty next to the bed and that has worked out well for us in the night, even though she needs my help to maneuver into it and then to clean up after her.  But no worries.
Since we are still in the midst of a nice dry sunny period, I was able to get the mower out and I got the whole lawn mowed in a few hours. Kirk has the other mower and was using it today so I did everything here by myself. Sis came by to help but, with only one mower, I chose to have her stick around by Lydia and I just kept mowing. Tomorrow I will pick up the grass and she can help bag it.  After I came in and rested, I took off and got us Jack in the Box hamburgers for dinner and later, I threw some clothes in the laundry and we hung around watching tv until bedtime. Lydia has some catching up to do on all of her taped shows!   

Sunday, Mar 22nd, 2020……  After taking Rylee out for our walk, I checked out the wet grass for later. With the forecast for sunny skies today, I guessed that the sun will dry everything out enough by 1:00pm so I asked my sister to come by then. It only takes a few minutes to ‘rake’ up the grass with the catcher I have for the tractor.

I raked and Sis bagged and we got everything done and put away before 1:45pm. Lydia was doing well and was spending the day in her office watching tv in there. I fixed us some Banquet chicken pot pies for dinner. Lesson learned.  Yuck!  I will stick to Marie Callender’s from now on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment