About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #68 – Dealing With DirecTV and Tree Trimming


 

Sunday, July 21st, 2019……  Not much planned for today. I brought in the paper after watching Rylee and read an interesting article. It seems that our DirecTV problem with our CBS programming is now going national. The article said that millions of DirecTV subscribers lost access to CBS programming late Friday after talks over a new distribution deal collapsed. It hit more than a dozen cities, including LA, SF, NY, and Chicago. I just hope now that all of these subscribers are involved, it will get some serious attention and get resolved soon!
Lydia decided to make omelets for breakfast and after that, I went out and got the mower and the grass catcher hooked up and made quick work of the clippings. Lydia came out and bagged it up and we were done. We only got 6 bags so we are doing good. The more often we cut it, the less grass to be bagged! After that, I settled in to watch my tapes of Nascar, tour de France, motocross, IMSA, etc. which took up most of the day.
I had eaten some quesadillas for lunch so I wasn’t hungry for dinner. Lydia made herself a salad and we continued to watch our taped shows.

Monday, July 22nd, 2019…… This morning, after walking R and Q, and getting breakfast for us, I went out with my chain saw and trimmed up one of the trees out front. This one was drooping down both on the lawn as well as out in the street, blocking our view when we pulled out of the driveway. I made several trips out there, resting in between. Lydia came out to check out my work and critique it – so I put her to work hauling brush! Between us, we got it done in an hour or so. I filled up my truck but I still have a large pile to clean up. I texted Kirk to ask him to bring my trailer back when he comes tomorrow so we can load it and he can take it all away. Once we were done, we cleaned up and came in for the day. It was hot and I was sweaty!  The weather here has turned – hotter!  We had some days in the high 80s and then it cooled off for a few days with clouds and temps in the mid-70s. That was nice! But, now it has warmed up again! It’s supposed to get up in the 90s tomorrow. So, that said, we were done working outside! Later, after resting for a while, we took off to Walmart to catch up on our shopping. A couple hundred dollars later, we got back and got everything unloaded.  Lydia made spaghetti and we watched the last two episodes of The Great Food Truck Race to get caught up. We also caught up on Master Chef.

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019…...  This morning I decided to go out and work on one more tree. This one has little trees popping up all around the big one and they have shot up to over 5 feet, strangling the trunk of the tree! So, I got them all cut back and all of the sucker shoots cut back off the tree. It looks a lot better now. When Kirk and Caleb showed up, I was on to the third tree.  This one is on the other side of the driveway and only needed a little trimming. Kirk left Caleb and the trailer and headed off to another job. When I went out later, Caleb had everything stacked and packed down in the trailer.  Kirk came back and I decided to just have them take my truck with all of the rest of the brush, saving them having to transfer it to Kirk’s truck.  We tied it down and they hooked up the trailer and went off to the dump. They got back here and then left for the day before I could talk with them but I assumed all went well. I came in and rested and was done for the day. We had planned on driving over to Brownsville today. Every year they host a Stand By Me Day to celebrate where the 1986 movie was shot. We wanted to go see what that was all about but with all of the work going on, we just hung around the house so we missed out. Maybe next year…
I ate leftover spaghetti for lunch and wasn’t hungry for dinner, so Lydia just made herself something. Later, I had some slices of summer sausage and some cheese and that was about it. Of course, we have been going through a ton of water now that the weather has turned. So, whenever we fill up with ice, we get a glass of ice for Rylee to enjoy while we get our water.  We watched last week’s America’s Got Talent before calling it a night.   

No comments:

Post a Comment