About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #107 – A New Recliner & New Insurance


 

Saturday, Nov 16th, 2019……  We had a few things to do today. First up, after our walk and breakfast, was to clean out the chairs in Lydia’s room. These are the old chairs we used to have in our motorhome. They are older now and not as comfortable so it was time to replace them. The lazy boy chair we ordered last week was ready for pickup today. So, I moved them out and cleaned up the space. Then, we headed off in the truck to Eugene and made the pickup. We stopped in Brownsville on the way home and had lunch at the Brownsville Saloon. We were a little confused because we actually wanted to eat at the Blue Point Grill. It turns out that this is a false front, created for the movie Stand By Me, which was filmed here.


We had passed it many times and saw cars parked out front and thought people were coming out from dinner. Turns out the saloon next door actually expands inside into the Blue Point area. There is a pool table and video machines in that area inside. They serve food so that’s why we saw folks coming out after eating. I had a mushroom swiss burger and Lydia had a fish sandwich. They were both excellent!  We got back home and I unloaded and moved the new chair in. Lydia was tired and achy from the trip so she wasted no time in crashing in her new chair!


I got the old chairs stored in the shop. We were going to donate them to Goodwill or Habitat but they are both leather cracked and scratched, so I will just cut them up for firewood/trash. Once we were done, I headed off to my sister’s house to help her get down her Christmas stuff that is stored in the overhead racks in her garage. Then it was back home to rest for the day. Lydia got out chicken pies and we had those for dinner.

Sunday, Nov 17th, 2019…...  Nothing on the agenda today. I had watched the first two Nascar races Friday and Saturday. They both crowned the Truck and Xfinity series champions. Today was the final Cup race. But first was the F1 race. Plus, I had football games to watch. After lounging around, I needed to get up and do something, so I went out and worked on the ladder parts. I wasn’t going to paint but I sanded down the pieces and flipped them over prepping them for the first coat on that side. The Cup race was excellent for the first two thirds. Then it was pretty much over as three of the top four drivers made mistakes. Kyle Busch won his second title. I didn’t care who won but just wanted to see a good race. It will be next year (Feb.) before the new season starts. Lydia had me go out and pick up dinner. We ate and watched tv until bedtime.   
  
Monday, Nov 18th, 2019……  No rains yet this morning. I got Rylee out and walked and then fed early. We had an appointment today. Today was health insurance day!  When we were in Calif., we had a supplemental program, after Medicare (through Boeing), with Scan. Scan was not available here in Oregon so we chose a United Health Care HMO.  That was for our first full year up here (2018) and was comparably priced with Scan. We were ok with that. For 2019, Boeing discontinued the UHC HMO and we had to move over to a UHC PPO, which was considerably more expensive. For 2020, their enrollment premium was even higher, so we started looking outside the Boeing network.  We found that we could go to a United Health Care HMO, close to what we had in 2018, for even less than what Boeing was offering. So, once we were able to look everything over closely, we signed up for that plan. We both feel relieved to have that over with. After that, we were free for the day so I went back out and painted the first coat on the back side of my ladder project parts. Lydia made chicken for dinner and we settled in to watch Dancing With the Stars. I am ok with whoever wins but was kind of shocked that James Van Der Beek went home so early.  

No comments:

Post a Comment