About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #45 – Enjoying the Nephews & Celebrating Miss Lydia’s Birthday


Friday, June 5th, 2020……  Today was driving day. It started out with a 40-mile drive to Eugene to pick up Andrew (who was coming in from LAX) from the airport. I drove him back to Lebanon and we stopped at Shari’s for breakfast before heading home for a brief rest. Then we took off to make the 100-mile drive up to Portland to pick up Kyle (coming in from PHX) and then we headed back home. But we got a call from sis and she and Cherrelyn hadn’t eaten yet so we met them at Dos Arbolitos for an early ‘linner’. Then we all went back to the house to rest for the evening. But the boys got hungry again and took off to go to Carl’s Jr for a late dinner. I worked on the blog and they settled in and ate and watched tv until bedtime. We will figure out what to do tomorrow. The expected rain might change our plans. We’ll see….   

Saturday, June 6th, 2020……  Rains are coming today but we’re making plans anyway. First up is for me to go to the store to get a few things and get money so we can go later to Kevin’s, which is cash only. They reopened yesterday and I couldn’t wait to go there for my favorite breakfast. The boys liked it for sure. After that, we decided to just go ahead and try to walk Silver Falls. I drove us out and up there and we were not the only ones today. The weather held up and we were able to do the falls walk with no rain at all. 


As a matter of fact, it didn’t rain on us until we were well on our way home!

Next up was Foster Lake. They enjoyed this drive too and really thought that lake was nice. I drove them to the fish hatchery but it has now been closed for the pandemic duration so they couldn’t see the salmon fingerlings in there. On the way home we stopped at Safeway and the guys got all of what they needed for the next two meals. Andrew was going to make chicken and mashed potatoes and broccoli tonight and Kyle will make breakfast tomorrow morning. Once we got back home and unloaded the groceries and rested a bit, it was time for Andrew to take over the kitchen. The girls came over and we all watched him cook! His meal was really tasty and filling.


After that, we cleaned up and rested and the girls went home. A very fun day. The rains came and went but are supposed to be back tomorrow.   
     
Sunday, June 7th, 2020……  Today was Lydia’s heavenly birthday. Not exactly a happy day for me but we wanted to celebrate her day as she would have wanted.  I was up and going early. Quincy was doing another sleepover so I got them out and walked/ran/pooped. Kyle was up and going on the breakfast because he had a lot of bacon to cook up to go along with his hobo hash. I usually don’t like bell peppers but, in this case, I made an exception. It was very good! 

We hung around the house most of the morning and left to head up to Sweet Home to go to The Point for linner. I’m glad to see they’ve reopened. Skyline, just down the road, is also open again so we will have to go there soon. 


Once we got back, Cherrelyn said her goodbyes for a few days as she was heading back up to Tigard to be with her son. For us, it was more lounging around and catching up on tv.  With family here like this, my sweet Lydia would have enjoyed this day, I’m sure.   

Monday, June 8th, 2020……  Today was travel day for Andrew. His flight left out of Eugene at 9:00am so Kyle and I took him down there and said our goodbyes and then headed back home. But first, we stopped at Elmer’s so Kyle could try the German pancake! After that, I took him through the University of Oregon (Ducks) campus. We saw the new track and field house that they are putting the finishing touches on. First class!  Then, we headed north and came home via Corvallis. I drove him through the Oregon State University (Beavers) campus. Equally impressive. We got back and sis was there and had let Rylee out while we were gone. The rest of the day was spent hanging around the house. Sis came back a bit later and we drove over to the Tangent Inn (bar and grill) for their burgers. 


The rest of the night we watched Stand By Me because Kyle had never seen it (plus it was filmed here in Brownsville and I previously had showed him that town). I take him to Portland tomorrow for his flight back home.       

No comments:

Post a Comment