About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #85 – Dealing with the Cold and Getting Out When the Weather is Good!

 

Friday, November 6th, 2020…… The weather is definitely turning here now. Turning cold I mean!  We’ve had a few days now when the morning temps are below freezing. It doesn’t take long to get up to the high 40s, and, if the sun is out, possibly up to the 50s, but that will soon change and the days will stay cooler all day. We predominately get our weather from the northwest (Alaska) and they are saying that those temps are rapidly getter lower. So, for me, I will be dressing in warm jackets, gloves and ear muffs! The cold doesn’t affect my legs as much so I am still in my shorts! I know – go figure!

I had Rylee out early and got her fed and I made my breakfast and my coffee and settled in to read my paper and then relax a bit. Rain is coming and the temps usually go up several degrees when that happens.  I hung around the house and checked my deposits and transfers because I want to go to the courthouse next week and pay my taxes. Still pending… One last Nascar race left for each division, the trucks beginning tonight. I have that being taped so I asked Teri to come join me for dinner. I am making crab-stuffed salmon and corn. I had that done with little issues and she and I had a nice meal. We settled in and relaxed and watched some of the election results still coming in before she needed to get back home in the dark to look after her puppies. Before she left, we made plans for a day trip to the coast this weekend (looks like Sunday for the best weather). A nice evening…. 

Saturday, November 7th, 2020…… The rains are close today. But I wanted to get out and go to Albany to look at some wood at Lowes. I needed to pick up a formica shelf and the brackets to add to Lydia’s sewing table, which will turn it into another station for her computer (which I occasionally use). I got that done and was in for the day. The rains never really came but it was still a dark, cold, gloomy day. I watched the second of my Nascar races for the weekend and called it a night.  

Sunday, November 8th, 2020……  This morning I was up early and ready to go. The forecast was for sunny skies and a pleasant day all over the valley and the coast. I walked and fed butthead, had a quick breakfast, then left and picked up Teri and we headed west. Each of us had breakfast so that we could eat lunch on the coast. The drive was very nice and the time goes by when you are talking and enjoying each other’s company! I reached Newport and headed north where the road gets close to the water at various times. Although it was a little chilly, the sun was out and that made it pleasant. We stopped at Depoe Bay and I got a good parking spot right down the street from Gracie’s Sea Hag and we walked there for lunch. We got seated quickly only to find out that they were still serving breakfast. They told us that they turn the menu over to lunch but only at 11:30am!  We both wanted lunch and we were 45 minutes early so we left and walked the main street and went into several shops to kill time. Teri bought a few things for Christmas gifts and we stowed those in the car and headed back to Gracie’s. But we stopped at the Chowder Bowl instead because she remembered the food being really good there! I think they got new cooks because neither of us totally liked our meals. I rarely leave any chowder but, even together, we just couldn’t eat even one cup.  She had fish and chips and I had scallops and chips. Her fish was just ok but my scallops didn’t make the cut for me. So, that’s a place not to go next time!  I guess we still have Gracie’s for another trip! After a walk on the costal side of the street to look at the tidepools, and a bit more shopping, we got back in the car and continued up the coast and then went inland at Lincoln City and headed back toward Salem. We stopped to visit a bit with Teri’s mom in Salem and then headed back home. The day was getting away from us so I had to call my sister to ask her to go feed Rylee and let her out for a bit. We made it back a little later and I dropped her off and came back home. It was a really nice day and we had a great time together!  We planned some more of these day trips so stay tuned….

Monday, November 9th, 2020…… I woke up to frosted grass and 26º this morning!  It was super cold, but I still got Rylee out and walked - and then headed off to Corvallis for my acupuncture appointment.  I found out that Bonnie is quite the democrat!  She was sure happy to see the change in leaders upcoming. I try to stay neutral and respect all opinions and with someone who sticks needles in me, I am going to be extra quiet!  Just kidding! We get along great!  I got home and rested for a bit and later got a text asking for my muscles for a job. Remember that nice desk we have been working on and readjusting for Teri’s shop? Well, turns out it wasn’t working out. There were not enough drawers and the desk shelf kept falling off!  So, she had ordered another work table, this one a little smaller (that’s a good thing) but with several drawers. So, I was asked to come help with the demo and trashing of the old unit. Except for the top, which I will use for something, I broke the desk apart (with pleasure!) and we hauled the pieces out to the dumpster in her business complex. Then I took the top and put it in the truck and brought it home. Remember I said how cold it was this morning. Well, with the boat in the shop garage, the truck sits outside at night. And with the spray-in bedliner I have, the rainwater pools up in the bed.  When I first got to Teri’s, I showed her the solid sheet of ice still remaining even in the middle of the day, and then smashed it up. Here is what it looked like. The ice was probably ½ inch thick in places!          

But I managed to get the desk top on some cardboard so it stayed dry when I took the truck home. I unloaded everything and exchanged the truck for the Acadia and headed back. Now we were headed over to Hobby Lobby, where she had seen another piece she wanted. This one was a bureau with smaller drawers which will go nicely against another wall. That went easily in the back of the car. We stopped at a few other stores while we were in the mall, and then she took me to lunch next door, at Carino’s Italian. It was a tasty meal, so we will be going back again for dinner sometime. We got the piece in place and I left so she could get everything back in place and be ready for work tomorrow morning.  Later, I made a couple of cheese quesadillas for dinner because I wasn’t too hungry after that lunch. I watched a few shows and then started Dancing With the Stars but couldn’t stay awake for the whole thing and headed off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment