About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, December 12, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #93 – Changing Doorknobs & Celebrating Birthdays!

  

 

Tuesday, December 8th, 2020……  It was 40º this morning when I had Rylee out. I am back in shorts again, at least while it is not windy!  I left the house right after that and stopped and got breakfast and coffee and then went on over to Albany. I was looking for a new light fixture for the mud room/laundry room. The 4 ft. fluorescent fixture had a bubble cover and looked ok, but it was humming and I wanted that to stop! Home Depot had one but they only give military discounts to those who are 1) active duty, 2) retired military (like Bill and Rick and Ed and Tia), and 3) reservists.  Veterans (w/id) only get discounts on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veterans Day.  Lowes honors ALL veterans.  I choose them most of the time, especially for bigger ticket items.  On the way to Lowes, I stopped at Harbor Freight and got a few things there. I made it to Lowes and found the light fixture I liked. This one is led and sleeker looking and will cover the area of the old fixture.  

I also found my Christmas gift from the kids in Florida.   Rather than send gift cards back and forth by either mail or electronic, we now each buy our own gifts (with our own money) and then meet up on Christmas (via facetime or zoom) to let the others know what we got from them. You can even decide to unwrap them in real time while on line if you want.  This new process – invented a few years ago by Randy and Maryanne - saves time on gift cards or mailing gifts, plus you get to get something you want during the Black Friday and other pre-Christmas sales when the stock is on the shelves. The best part is there is no dollar limit – spend what you want on you and they spend what they want on them. I was looking for a DeWalt drill/driver set and I found one on sale at Lowes so I got it. It’s now under the tree. I got back home and Kirk and Carter were just getting there. I had them clean up my ditch out front, which was clogging up with leaves and grass. They got that done so now the rain water will flow easier down the road to the drain and on over to Oak Creek. Later, I took the Acadia back in to Primasing. This time, Tony rode with me and he heard it for himself. Problem was, he was stumped about where it was coming from. He doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem and told me nothing was out of order underneath. He said to come back in if it gets worse. I’m sorry – I’m not buying that!  I will be going over to the dealer in Albany and let them take a look at it.  After that, I met up with Teri at Pizza Schmizza. She had seen on Facebook that they were serving outside on the patio. That was perfect!  They have to open the plastic windows (covid req.) but they have patio heaters so it was actually really comfortable.  We had a nice meal, including a pizza, a burger, a beer and a dessert, all of which we shared. We walked next door to the Dollar Store before each heading home for the night. I watched football and then more of my taped shows before calling it a night.    

Wednesday, December 9th, 2020……  Rain is back in the forecast for the rest of this week. They say mostly light showers/drizzles but maybe one good storm with moderately heavy showers.  Both Penny and I are thinking about having Kirk mulch our flowerbeds, maybe late January or early February. So, he has a bunch or spraying to do to get rid of the weeds for each of our yards. He can’t do that when it’s wet so we need some more dry days in a row to get that done. I got up and showered and put some clothes in the wash and then took butthead out for our walk. She doesn’t give a s**t about the rain but I always put on some good waterproof gear and will change my shoes if they get even slightly wet while out.  Not much else going on today, so I just hung around the house.  Later in the afternoon, I pulled out a chicken pot pie and was heating up the oven for dinner. But I got a call right about that time from Teri, asking if I’d eaten yet. I know a good thing when I hear it, so I was ready!  She brought me over pork roast and mashed potatoes that she had made and I ate a very nice meal!  The pot pie went back in the freezer for tomorrow! She headed back home to her pups and I settled in for the evening an watched The Amazing Race. One more before the finale next time! I also watched The Masked Singer, but was disappointed that they only sang Christmas songs with no competition. 

Thursday, December 10th, 2020…… Happy Birthday to my grandkids Kate and Shelby!  They turn 18 today!   I texted them early and told them I had money transferred to Jeff’s account and to be sure he gave it to them!  



I was up early this morning and got Rylee out before it rained too hard. I fed her then took off and got breakfast and coffee and then went to Walmart for a few things. Once I got those things home and stowed away, I headed over to Lowes in Albany. This time I was looking for a new door levers and hinges. These were for the master bathroom door. Back in 2003, when Walt built this house, he used all polished brass hardware and the goal is to eventually change everything out.
 I have changed out a few already outside and today was a good day to get started with the first one in the house. I got what I needed and headed back home. I removed the old unit and replaced it with nice brushed nickel levers. I also changed out the hinges with the same brushed nickel finishes. One out of thirteen sets, counting the front door and the garage locksets, which will be the last ones and will come later. None of this stuff is cheap so I will do them in small groups, maybe one room at a time. I rested for the day and then made that pot pie and ate and settled in with tv until bedtime.   

Friday, December 11th, 2020…… Sis came by this morning and brought Quincy for a run/walk and left her for the day. Aimee was coming later for a visit, but texted saying she has been down with a bad migraine for the past few days and would need to reschedule for next week. Later, I spoke with Teri about going to visit with Olivia. Today is her birthday and we went over for ice cream and cake. We also brought over their Christmas gifts to put under the tree. She wanted them to open them and both Olivia and Emmett already knew that they were both getting new computers. They really liked them when dad got them upstairs and hooked up and running!  We left and went to Panda Express for dinner and then came back and I dropped her off and came home and watched tv until bedtime.       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment