About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #3 – The FMCA Rally Week


 

Note:  This is a week load of posts and may be a long read because the fairgrounds does not have WiFi and I just stacked up the days into one blog.

Tuesday, Jan 7th, 2020…… I was up and going by 6:00am this morning. All of this to travel less than a ½ mile to the fairgrounds!  I got the tanks dumped and Lydia’s tea going. Maryanne was coming down to drive the Honda but called and said she needed to stay in the rig with her husband who gets nervous. So, I asked Jennifer. They aren’t towing and she is available and said she could help us out.  All of the rigs have an order to line up in. We tried to get everyone in order by number as we left camp but there were a few lagging behind. No worries – the staging area was big enough for us to adjust and let everyone get in line. The wagonmaster got us all going and we drove in and, although it took some doing, we all got parked and plugged in and hooked up. We have to be careful here because they do not have sewers hookups. We plan to eat out a lot and conserve the water used for dishes – which is actually more than when taking a shower if you can believe that!  We all sat around and then each of us ventured up to the registration area and picked up our packets. We are mostly first timers to an FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) rally so all of us will be going to the first-timer’s orientation tomorrow, when the rally actually begins. We have heard that they will have around 650-700 rvs here this week. FMCA just recently allowed non-motorized rvs in the assoc. so there are a few 5th wheels and trailers here now. But all told, even with the new members, the numbers are down from last year. Still a ton of people milling around and enjoying the week! We decided to go to Farmer Boys for an easy dinner. We both chose their cobb salad and we split an order of onion rings. Pretty good! Once we were done there, we went to Costco with Rick & Janie. Mike and Cheri went to Walmart. Together, we were tasked with getting all the stuff for two in-camp BBQs - hamburgers on Wednesday and Hot Dogs on Friday. We will total everything and divide by 12 rigs. Easy and simple. After getting back and resting and watching tv, it was time to call it a night.      
 
Wednesday, Jan 8th, 2020…… Happy Birthday Sis!   Slept great last night! We had two blips in our power – once late last night and once more this morning. It means we have to wait each time for the Directv boxes to reboot but we were the lucky ones. There was an issue with feed from the generator and some of the electrical wasn’t operational until mid-morning. The maintenance folks were quick to get on the problem and even though they disconnected everyone a few times, they managed to finally get it resolved. I walked down to the coffee and donuts area and also managed to make Lydia tea between outages. So, that meant an early lunch.  We ate leftover steak burritos. We also called to sing happy birthday to my sister. She and Jody and Janice were eating breakfast at Kevin’s! They had their day planned and she told us about it. We left them to eat and at 11:30am, Lydia and Rylee kicked back in the rig and I made my way to the orientation, which was followed by a tour of duty at our recruitment table, given to us to use as a new chapter. Turns out we had plenty of help so most of us stood out in front of our table and talked with those interested. There are only a couple of chapters in SoCal and those are huge, so we offer something more casual and less structured than the big clubs (2 of our 12 here this week are guests). Maybe we’ll get some interest… The Club could use some new blood!  I also found Lon Cross. Lon is the Western Director for FMCA and is running this whole rally!  He is also married to a former Camping Squares member Chris Neely (at the time) who we have known for years before they dropped out of the Club. I asked him to ask Chris if she still remembered us because that was probably 20 years ago. After everything closed down, we headed back to the group and started our bbq. Gary drafted me to help him with the burgers. He and I and Jack got the burgers on and off the grill and fed the group. Later, we hung around the area until it got dark and Lydia got cold. She went in and settled in with her feet up and I headed over with some of the Club to play bingo. They did this very well. You get two packets of game cards with six per game and 11 games total for $5.00. Then you can also buy a bonus game for $1.00. The eleven games averaged around $140.00 each game (split if there were multiple winners) and the bonus game was for $500.00. Out of our group of 11, only Rick won. He hit a four corners game and split with two others. I think he got $46.00. I came back with everyone and walked Rylee before coming in calling it a night.
      
         
Thursday, Jan 9th, 2020……   Today the seminars start. I think there were around 30 going on today. I haven’t found anything yet that I MUST go to so I spent most of the time in the vendor buildings that have just about anything you need or don’t need for your rv. I also took some time to head off to Walmart market to pick up some more water and beer and cookies for when Raymond and Frances come visit us at Catalina Spas on Sunday. Lydia has been mostly hanging around the rig. It’s chilly until the sun comes up and is warm enough so that she can go out and get some sun and visit. We decided to go to Sloane’s for dinner tonight and then we want to go to the opening ceremonies and the evening entertainment. As a new chapter, we are getting a mention and a flag at the opening. Turns out it’s a banner and will be presented on Friday night. The Neon Circus, a Brooks and Dunn tribute band, performed tonight. They were just ok. We kept waiting for the energy level to pick up but it didn’t until the last couple of songs. Lydia was having a good time even though she was very uncomfortable.

Friday, Jan 10th, 2020……  Happy Birthday Sandie!  Last night was tough for Lydia even though she was in her wheelchair and that made it convenient at the ceremonies. But I guess the rest of the evening wore her out. She has only taken the prescription hydrocodone only two times since we left home so she was hanging in there until last night. She had throbbing pain and was in tears. She took a oxycodone and it took an hour before everything calmed down and she was able to sleep. Today she has the lady’s luncheon and she wants to go but we’ll see….
I walked and fed Rylee and then walked down and got coffee (for me) and donuts for us for breakfast and then I tracked down the guys out in the fairgrounds that were washing rvs and go on their schedule. The price was fair ($3 per ft.). They would be able to get to me this afternoon. So that meant I could get Lydia up to the building for the luncheon. I did that and got her in line with the girls and headed back home. The washers showed up and had lunch before they started on my coach. Of course I offered them a little liquid refreshment beforehand. I hope that helped because they did a wonderful job on the coach. Even the roof!  After picking Lydia back up, we all sat out around the party area and relaxed until dinnertime. Nobody had any plans in concrete so I thought we would check out the food concessions in the fairgrounds. The rally folks had brought in two – one with bbq and the other Mexican food. We chose Mexican. I went down and got a couple of tacos for Lydia and a carne asada burrito for me. I think I will go back there tomorrow and get a chorizo burrito for breakfast!  We settled back in and watched tv until it was time to head off to the evening entertainment. Lydia chose to pass and stay home and rest her foot. I took my camp chair and sat in the back with other Club members. The chairs in that hall are extremely uncomfortable for longer periods so it was worth taking it tonight! The entertainment was comedian Dick Hardwick who was very very funny. After the show, I came back in and checked on Lydia who was in bed but awake and watching tv. We sat up and talked a bit about tomorrow’s plans and then I watched tv for a while before calling it a night. It’s super quiet and not any lights shining down onto the rig so it makes for good sleeping.

Saturday, Jan 11th, 2020…… Last day of the Rally.  This morning I got up and got showered and dressed and then took Rylee for our walk and went down by the Mexican Food concession and got my chorizo burrito. When I brought it back, Lydia was interested in their bacon and egg breakfast burrito so I went back and got hers. By then it was close to a seminar I wanted to attend, so I headed off to that. I checked in on the drawing winners for the week, but we didn’t win. I took in a seminar about estate planning. Being in Oregon is different when setting up a living trust so I was able to pick up some good info.  We have a goal - now that we are up in Oregon - to get going on that this year!
Lydia stayed in the rig most of the day and kept her foot up. It looks swollen but she says she is doing ok. Tonight, we will have another bbq here in camp. This time we are doing hot dogs. The last night’s entertainment is the Alley Cats (acapella doo wop). Lydia probably will not go. We have seen them before and they are very exciting. I will take my chair again since that was way more comfortable than sitting on those puny chairs.
I took a bunch of photos around and in the buildings and just wanted to post a few here at the end.      






          

No comments:

Post a Comment