About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, January 17, 2020


Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #4 –  The Next Legs – Desert Hot Springs and Long Beach

 

Sunday, Jan 12th, 2020……  This morning was check out day. We watched most all of the rigs (some are staying another night here) take off and head out. Except for us and Roots and Moores, the rest of our group made their way out before 10:30am or so. We were only going about 25 miles – over to Desert Hot Springs and Catalina Spa. Before we left camp, Lydia’s sister, Frances and her grandson, Raymond, came by to spend the day. The Roots and Moores and us caravanned over. Raymond got his first ride in a motorhome!


We all got checked in and parked and set our rigs up. Then Raymond and I headed over to the spa and pool. It was terrific! Nice and refreshing. We spent an hour and a half there and came back so they could head off home. We decided to go over to The Capri Restaurant for dinner. We all chose Italian and enjoyed our meals. Once we got back in camp, we settled in and visited until bedtime.    
 
Monday, Jan 13th, 2020……  No plans today. I did have to go back to Indio and return Lydia’s wheelchair, but that was later today. We hung around the rig and I walked Rylee a few times. Rick went with me later and we got to In and Out Mobility. I left the chair in the car and went in. I asked if they sold the rentals, should we choose to buy and they said they would and also would apply the $50 rental towards the $200 purchase. I said, “Write it up!”   So, we now own a wheelchair. I was going to go purchase one anyway and this one is a better quality than I have looked at. Later, we met our friends, Mike and Laura (who live in 29 Palms) at El Matador, for dinner. They came by and visited with us and Mike and Cheri. We watched the college championship game and also visited with everyone. It was a short drive but we were both ready for bed a little later!

Tuesday, Jan 14th, 2020……  This morning we hung around the campground again after we said our goodbyes to Rick and Janie and Mike and Cheri. They were going home and we had to time it to be in Long Beach after 2:00pm which was check-in at Golden Shore Rv Resort. This park is really close to the aquarium and the Queen Mary. It’s really nice and they gave us a beautiful level manicured parking spot. It just needed a little more room for the car! We had arranged to meet up with Bud and Linda Carpenter at Famous Dave’s for dinner. It’s now called Q’s Steakhouse but everything is still the same. We had a nice meal (I overate!) and then they followed us back to the coach so we could visit a bit. Lydia was doing ok but was ready for bed a little later after they left.

Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2020…… This morning was special for me. I got up around 6:30am and got dressed and got the car ready for Rylee. She and I took off and headed over to our old neighborhood. My goal was to walk her in our little park, down the street from our old house. I found Dori and her pit bull Wally and we had a great time catching up. Merilyn came out with her yellow lab Sunny and I ended up letting butthead off leash and they all had a great time playing. I walked down our street and saw our old house (didn’t stop to see anyone) and then went back to the car and drove around a bit before coming back to the motorhome. It was neat to see everything again. Some still the same but some things have really changed – like the shopping center at Douglas Park. That is the old McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Long Beach location. It was just starting to develop but now is full of shops and industrial buildings. Amazing!  Later, Ken and Sandie came by the park and we all went out to The Park Pantry for lunch. We had talked about Bubba Gumps but this was much better (and cheaper!).  It was nice to see them again. Later, we met the kids at Gladstone’s for dinner. Since we had a nice lunch, we each got a bowl of chowder and shared the scallops dinner. I liked everything but Lydia could not eat the quinoa.  Afterward, they came back to the rig and we visited for a while. Once they left, I walked Rylee again and later we headed off to bed.    

Thursday, Jan 16th, 2020…… Today was Lydia’s day!  She got up and got ready for her luncheon with her ‘lunch ladies’ from work. These ladies have been doing lunches once a week for many years now, but those are always on Mondays and we couldn’t be here in time to make that one. Sooo..., they decided to do another one for Lydia’s Luncheon. I drove her to the Olive Garden in Cypress and ‘handed’ her off to the girls and then went back home. On the way, I stopped by Dillion RV and got a door latch to replace one that broke earlier on the trip. I came back to the rig and got that installed and then called and made reservations for the next two days when we leave to head home. We aren’t taking the 99 this time. We will travel up I5 the whole way. So, I had searched for rv parks that matched the distance/miles we need to make each day. I chose Santa Nella RV Park (280 mi.) and Durango RV Resort (230 mi.) in Red Bluff. We had seen this last park after leaving Redding and we wanted to try it. That will make the last leg home 380 mi. so we’ll see if that will be a wise choice. Checking the weather app, I see there is currently rain and fog on Siskiyou Summit. But the forecast looks pretty good for Sunday when we hit that area.  After getting that all done, I rested for a while and watched tv until I got the text to go back to pick her up. I spent some time with the ladies before we left. They were sure glad to see Lydia and said she was looking good but they were all also worried about her foot. Lydia promised to post her results when we get back and all of that is done. On the way home, the tried to hook up with either Brian or Jeff to see if either was home since it was on our way and we could stop by for a few minutes.  But both of them were out working today. We are still hoping to make their wedding in Palm Springs in March but that will now be pending her labs and diagnosis.

Later, the kids came by with tacos from Pancho’s. We always have liked going there and it’s on the way here so, duuhh! That gave Lydia a chance to stay in and keep her foot up so that worked out.  Once we said our goodbyes and hugs all around, they left, and we relaxed and watched tv until bedtime.     

No comments:

Post a Comment