About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, October 5, 2020

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #76 – Buying a Furniture Project and a Fun Trip!

  

Wednesday, September 30th, 2020…… Today I planned on mowing. I was up and out with Rylee and got her fed. I made scrambled eggs and then went out and fired up my string trimmer and cut around the edges of the sprinklers and curbs, etc. I had the mower out but had to do it myself today. Sis was going on a drive with Butch in his 2005 corvette to get her wine order from her favorite vineyard. Butch is a friend of her neighbor and they have been out a few times so she wanted to bring him over to meet me. I was out mowing and stopped and met him. Nice guy!  (pics coming soon). I got the lawn taken care of and loaded up the truck for another ‘dump’ at Central Bark. Once that was done, I came back in and cooled down and sat back and relaxed and by then, it was evening!  I had some mini tacos for dinner and watched The Masked Singer. I have some guesses from last week but tonight I was kinda lost. I think it’s because most of these six acts were either pop or rock so I don’t have a clue. I didn’t even know the Gremlin was Mickey Rourke (but Jenny did!).  

Thursday, October 1st, 2020……  I had an appointment for a haircut this morning but first stop was Walmart for a few things. After that, I swung by Teri’s shop and was in and out in short order. I came home and fixed myself some breakfast sandwiches and then went out and brought in the trash cans. I noticed that I needed to pressure wash one can and did that and set it out to dry. Rylee bugged me so I took her out for another run in the water and her pool. Most of the day I just hung around the house and worked on my bills and sent a note off to my doctor who missed a referral and I needed to follow up.  Later in the day, I got a referral letter with a number so I sent back a ‘please disregard’ note to my doctor. Also got a text from Teri asking for my services. She wanted to go look at an entertainment center she had found offered on Marketplace. It was in Salem so we took the truck and drove up there and bought it and got it loaded up. We stopped for dinner and called sis on the way back to meet us at my house to help unload it. The plan is to paint it here and then it will go into her salon as a work station.


Friday, October 2nd, 2020…… Today was nice and warm and sunny. I hope it stays that way because we are going on the train this evening!  The tickets I had bought for our ‘tweener’ birthday outing got cancelled due to smoke and was rescheduled for tonight. I picked Teri up and headed just down the street to the depot. Our tickets were for the Harvest Dinner Train, and for this trip, they brought in a local caterer/chef to prepare the meal using local fare. The ride was from Lebanon to Sweet Home and back. We boarded a little after 6:00pm for the 2-hour trip. There were all of maybe 25 people on the entire train so it was safe and easy to get from car to car and we sat in the parlor car and the bar car and walked to the open-air car and then to the bar car and finally back to the parlor car. We were served the first course, which was eggplant relish with goat cheese and currants on pita slices. We also got baguette bread with roasted tomatoes and feta cheese. The main course was steelhead with herbs and butter, chicken ravioli with roasted bell peppers and greens and ricotta in a cherry tomato wine garlic sauce, and parmesan polenta and also ratatouille. For dessert, they served us plum cake with toasted hazelnuts and whipped cream. It was SO GOOD!  We both especially liked the fish, which was the best I had had in a long time!  The weather was nice until the sun went down, then it got chilly and we spent the rest of the time inside. We got back to the station and thanked everyone for a lovely time! They have other events throughout the season, and at $60 per ticket, it is something to plan for but well worth the price!  




Saturday, October 3rd, 2020……  This morning we started on the paint project. First stop was Walmart, where we got some paint and brushes. I had already got the pieces on top of some paint cloth so we were ready to start. I sanded everything to get the finish off and to prep the surface for the paint.  We were told that this was paint and primer but quickly learned not to believe a Walmart ‘expert’!  This will need several coats! Teri worked on the doors and I started in on the upper unit. 




We both worked on the lower section and got the first coat on that and left it to dry. 


Teri went home and I rested for the day and watched my races. I fixed dinner and watched tv until bedtime.

Sunday, October 4th, 2020…… I told Teri to come by around noon, but I went out early and got the second coat on everything before she got there! Surprise!  But she brought lunch and we ate and waited to do the third coat. Turns out the weather wasn’t cooperating and this cheap ass paint wasn’t going to dry today. She had brought some black gloss paint for the top of the lower unit but it didn’t look black so it was probably mislabeled (thanks again Walmart!). We will try black chalk paint tomorrow. Also, the plan now is to remove the back panel on the upper unit and let the gray walls in her shop offset the white and black pieces. So, I took those off (see above) and we were done for the day. Again, it was races and lounging around for me. I made more of the mini tacos and settled in and watched my races. My one Nascar cup race - on tape – ran long and they switched stations and I missed the last three laps! Bummer, but I know who won and can watch highlights tomorrow.     

No comments:

Post a Comment