About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Oregon Living 2021 – Blog #1 – Happy New Year!

 

Friday, January 1st., 2021……  Happy New Year!  I was up early after a really good night’s sleep! I showered and got both the dogs out for their walk/run. On days when I have both dogs, I take them out to the back field and the side field. Boy, is it wet out there!  I had to rinse Rylee off because she found her drag strip and was white on top and brown on the bottom after running through it a couple of times!  And to think back to yesterday, I actually had given some thought about giving her a bath! I came in and fed them and then made my coffee and ate breakfast. I usually on New Year’s Day start my morning early with the Rose Parade. But not this time….

Oh well.  I did absolutely nothing all day. Never left the house – just hung around and watched bowl games plus some episodes of the ‘Las Vegas’ marathon show that I have been taping. They are playing, back-to-back-to-back, every one of the episodes, non-stop on E. I always liked that show. I heard from Sandie and also from both Stan and Ed during the course of the day. I made some mac and cheese and then ate the last of the ham for dinner. I actually napped today so I knew I would be staying up late which I did. 

Saturday, January 2nd., 2021……  Not much planned for today. Rain is in the forecast for the weekend and all of next week, so I can’t get excited about any projects for a while. After our walk, I went out and got breakfast and coffee. I came back and turned on the tv to watch football. Oregon was playing in a bowl game today (they got beat). Even though the Oregon State (Beavers) are closer in Corvallis than the University of Oregon (Ducks) in Eugene, there are plenty of UofO fans all in this area. They will always wear their team colors when games like this are happening.  You should see it when they play each other. They used to call that the ‘Civil War’ but had to remove all of those references because….

I did several loads of laundry but that was about it. I found on Facebook Marketplace a guy that had mirrored closet doors for sale and contacted him. He was in Eugene and I was all set to go pick up one for my garage. I want a large mirror on a hinge on the wall so I can look at its reflection to see cars, deliveries, etc., in the driveway. But it turns out the folks before me got there first and took all of them so no trip today. Later, I ordered a pizza and went and picked it up. Later, my neighbor, Paul came over and knocked on the door. He was on his roof looking for a leak and he said he heard water running and looked my way. Turns out that a pvc pipe going to the island flower bed out by the street had broken off right before the shutoff valve.

 

I think I remember knocking into it with the mower during mowing season, but who knows!  I had a raging river adding to the rain runoff going into the drainage ditch! Anyway, there is a shutoff in the garage for all of the irrigation pipes away from the house, so shutting it off was simple. I usually do this in winter but forgot!  I will have to go shopping for a new valve and fittings and pvc glue but that can wait until next week. I finished the evening watching tv until bedtime.     

Sunday, January 3rd., 2021……  We got a nice break in the weather this morning. When I got up and showered and out, the sun was actually coming up with very few clouds. That won’t last though, so I took advantage of it and went out and got breakfast and coffee. Teri and I made plans for a late lunch and I left for that around 1:30pm. I picked her up and we drove over to Albany and went to Burgerville.  Penny, Lydia and I went there when we first moved here and we didn’t think too much of it then and I hadn’t been back since, but I was willing to give it another try.  I ordered the blue cheese burger and waffle fries and Teri had the pepper bacon burger with regular fries. We drove down the street to the Costco parking lot and ate. We both thought the burgers were ok and I liked my fries but she didn’t like hers. We headed in to Costco and she checked out the computers and I picked up a few things I had on my list and we headed back. I dropped her off and came home and rested and watched football for the rest of the day and into the evening. I snacked on some cheese and crackers because I wasn’t that hungry.    

Monday, January 4th., 2021……  This morning I was up and showered and dressed but didn’t go out with butthead right away. It was a steady light rain so I waited until it went to a drizzle and then went out. I got about 100 yards up the road when the skies let loose!  We both got soaked!  I dried Rylee off inside the garage and changed out of everything before I even came in the house. It was the first time in a long time that I can remember getting this wet up here! Once I was back in dry shoes and clothes, I was in for the day. Of course, the rains let up and the sun came out for a few minutes.  Go figure!  I did answer an ad on Marketplace for a car trailer. The guy was in Sandy, which is 100 miles away from me. So, I asked if it was still available and also some questions before I ventured up to see it. Turns out the ad was on MP for just a little over 4 hours and he said it was sold already!    Later, I got a text that Teri was done with clients and I could go for a haircut. I asked if she ate and brought her some of my pizza for a quick lunch. After I left there, I drove to Bi-Mart but remembered that Tuesdays were their special days when member’s numbers are posted with special prizes, so I will wait until then to go back. Later, I let Rylee out a couple of times and found that I needed a new towel each time just to wipe the mud off of her muddy paws!  I spent some time yesterday going through my checkbook to annotate all of our medical and dental expenses and today I charted them in a spreadsheet. This is for tax purposes so I needed to get it done. I collected up all of my now-dry clothes from the garage and got them in the hamper, fixed a light dinner, and then settled in for the night watching tv programs. I have free HBO Max (thru Directv) so I have Wonder Woman 1984 already downloaded. Problem is I can’t cast it to any of my tvs without ‘Chromecast’, so I have already gone to ebay and ordered one. So, I will wait for that (but might decide to just watch it on my phone).      

No comments:

Post a Comment