About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, January 1, 2021

Oregon Living 2020 – Blog #98 – Getting Christmas Stuff Put Away and Getting Ready for New Years

 

Monday, December 28th., 2020……  This morning I slept in later than I wanted and I was running late for my acupuncture session!  So, I showered and dressed and fed Rylee and then let her out to pee/poop and then took off. I made it in time.  Once we were done there, I stopped and got myself some breakfast and coffee at McDonalds and then drove back home via Albany. I wanted to stop at Harbor Freight and get a few things and I did that and then headed back home. Today was spent mostly on Christmas stuff. By the end of the day, I got everything boxed up and out on the porch. The red village ‘ladder’ is disassembled and is ready to go up in the alcove in the entryway. I will wait until tomorrow for all of that. Sis will be coming by and she will help me and then I will go over there and help her with storage. I fixed more ham and the rest of the scalloped potatoes and watched Monday Night Football and then a few taped shows before calling it a night.   

Tuesday, December 29th., 2020……  I was up early this morning and out with Rylee before the sun was up! It is cold!  My two thermometers both showed it at 27º !!!  Yeah, that’s cold! The good thing was that the day was bright and sunny!  The frost on the grass dried up quickly and there was no standing water (except in the ditch by the road and also in Rylee’s drag strip out back) so no slippery roads or walkways to worry about. Sis was here with Q and left her for the day. She will come back later - when it warms up some more – to help me put away my Christmas stuff. I waited until about 11:15 and then texted her. It was still 34º outside so I put on a heavier jacket and some gloves and started hauling boxes off the back porch out to the shop garage and started to load them on the racks. Luckily, I took pics of how the boxes were stored away so I knew what went where. This is just one section!

 

Problem was I now have 4 new large totes for the new Christmas village houses that I had to pack. I got all the new items into 3 containers but stored the empty 4th one ‘just in case’ for next year. Once we got all of those done, I moved the zero turn back into its place and then followed my sister back to her house to help with her storage. I still need to clean the house and then I can move furniture back to where it was and I’m done!  

Wednesday, December 30th., 2020……  Rain is coming again. So, that means the temps are back up. This morning it was 43º when I walked Rylee. Later (around 8:00am) I drove up to Starbucks and met Teri for coffee. Of course, we have to drink it in the car nowadays but that’s ok. She had to get back for her 9:00am client and I stopped by Jack in the Box and got breakfast and headed back home. I spent a few minutes on the computer messaging my doctor with questions about covid and shingles vaccines and my osteoporosis infusion. I also called local jewelers to inquire about a silversmith reinforcing my St. Christopher medal that I have worn for the past 61 years. The hole for the chain is wearing thin and needs a little love. Of course, you now have to schedule an appointment to get things done nowadays. Mine is now Jan. 5th but at least I know and can work with that. I hung around the house yesterday so today I took a drive to Albany and Lowes. I needed a couple of electrical connectors and wanted to stock up on rock salt bags. I also stopped by Habitat for Humanity to see if they had any carpet runners. This would go in the garage and help with the dog’s wet paw prints (and my wet shoe prints!).  I stopped at a Chinese place and picked up orange chicken and sweet and sour pork with fried rice for dinner. I got back about 3:00pm and ate and had some more pumpkin bread for dessert. I wasn’t tired and stayed up until about 10:40pm and watched tv before calling it a night. About 1:30am I woke up with acid reflux. It was the worst case I have ever had. My esophagus was on fire!  Caused me to cough about every ten seconds. I have learned that I need to stay upright and went back in the living room and propped up in my recliner and tried to sleep. I think it was another hour or so when I finally nodded off.        

Thursday, December 31st., 2020……  NEW YEARS EVE!  I woke up feeling terrible. It took a long time for me to be able to get going. I did walk Rylee and then fixed breakfast but I hung out at the house all day. I even cancelled a haircut because I wasn’t up to it. Teri came over and saved the day with potato soup she had made. I ate everything so I knew I wasn’t sick – just worn out! Sis came over to drop off Quincy for a sleepover because her neighborhood celebrates New Years and it gets too loud for Q.  She drugged her up so she would at least be able to relax here. I ate a bit later with no chocolate or anything else that might cause a repeat. That wasn’t happening!  I heard from Jeff and Krista around 9:00pm – that was New Years in Florida – and we talked for some time and rang in the year together. Quincy was asleep in my closet and Rylee alerted when a few gunshots popped off a few times but it was fairly quiet other than that. I finally called it a night around 10:15 or so. I went right to sleep and didn’t hear any more noise at all. Happy New Year to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment