About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #85 – Ready, Set ---


Monday, June 18th, 2018……   Two days to go! Today we decided to go pick up another end table for the bedroom set in the guest room. We didn’t get two because we thought it would be too tight in there. But there’s plenty of room.  We got the set at Rife’s, a local furniture chain up here. They had it in stock and because I had my receipt from last year, they said they would price match it for us! Yaay! I saved $50. We brought it home and set it in place. Lydia had already bought a matching lamp and shade so we added those and we were done. The garage door guys showed up today and got everything done. Tim and Dana finished up almost all of the painting (they had to go get the correct color for the accent trim) and did a bit of cleanup before they called it a day.  They were able to give us the final bill with all of the ‘extras’ I added over the course of the job.  These included some more rock for around the guest pad, plus the second gravel pad I added at the end, plus other misc. I also had to pay overages for materials that went up in price since the bid. No biggie – these things happen. We will give them final payment before we leave. After they were wrapping up, I got the tractor out again and went over the lawn with the sweeper in tow, to pick up all of the clippings on the lawn.  I only do this on the lawn and not the field so it didn’t take too long. I mow from the outside to the inside so the clippings are forced toward the middle so it only takes a handful of passes to pick it up. Lydia waits near the trash can and I dump there and she picks it up while I go get more. Like I said, it only takes a short time. The yard now looks like it should. We cleaned up and came in for the night, watched tv and went to bed early.  

Tuesday, June 19th, 2018……  One more day to go. Rylee had a bad night last night. She gets in to everything there is to get in to out in the yard.  With all of the construction scraps and trash left around, she has a ball.  Plus, she looks for worms and attacks flying creatures like moths and such.  She threw up a couple of times and it looked like concrete chunks or drywall bits. But she’s fine now.  The job is wrapping up so the construction stuff will be minimal so hopefully she won’t find any more of that. We spent the morning finishing up our packing. I had one or two things to add to my carry-on. Lydia went to Walmart and picked up a pair of water shoes if/when we get to go snorkeling or walk out into the water. Tim and Dana got here and started in on the rest of the painting.  All that was really left was a couple of areas of touchup plus the accent trim and the peak cap. Those are painted a dark cranberry color.  They still have the cove molding in the garage to do and Tim took off to go get that.  Tim got the last load of gravel for the area just off the guest pad and for the one next to the house.  He decided to compact it again today. Then he asked me to bring in the motorhome and drive back and forth on it.  Just as I guessed, the surface wasn't packed hard enough so I got the wheels buried in the gravel! We had to chain it up and he pulled it out with his truck!  I ended up parking the coach in the new garage, but hey, that's what it's for, right?  I just wanted to wash and wax it first. He said he will come back tomorrow to pack the gravel with some better equipment but I'm not too worried about that right now. He has a week while we're away.  The gutter guys were here today and they made pretty quick work of the gutters and downspouts.  Tim already had the below-ground portion done so all they had to do was marry up the downspouts and they were good to go. Penny went to Eugene and picked up Daisy and brought her over here to drop off her stuff and get a quick tour.  They then went to her place to show her around there.  They came back later and Daisy got settled in. Tim said he would be back tomorrow to finish up the last of the work so we thanked them and said our goodbyes for now. We for sure made some good friends with these two and I plan to use them for any more improvements we choose to do down the road.

Ok – this is the last post for a while! I AM NOT hauling my laptop to Maui. I do plan to use my word program on my tablet and make some notes as the days go by.  I will put together a week’s work of blogs and post them all (with pics) when we get back.  So, wish us well and we’ll get back to you soon.  Aloha!         

No comments:

Post a Comment