About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #7 – Resting on the Rainy Weekend and Yardwork on Monday


 

Saturday, January 19th., 2019…...  The weather is still supposed to be rainy and cloudy for the next few days. We slept in this morning. If you can call 7:00am sleeping in! Rylee gets me up around 5:00am to let her out. I guess that’s a good thing when you think about it. But this morning I got to go back to bed and sleep for another couple of hours. She has an alarm clock in her head and always nudges me awake around 7:00am to let me know it is time to feed her. When I did get up and showered and going it was already 8:00am. When I took her for our walk it was wet outside but the temperature was up to 55º and no rain. That’s extremely high temperatures for so early in the morning! But it may change later when the rains come in for the day. Lydia had labs this morning and went off to do that. I have nothing on my agenda today so we’ll see what happens….
Nothing happened. The rain and gloomy day made it easy to just stay in. Lydia got her soup going and simmered it most of the afternoon. She used our new Oster mini oven to make the biscuits.


That little oven has turned out to be a good buy. We use it for small items and she gets an even bake which is something our Dacor oven isn’t doing. We’re still looking at what to do with the Dacor – fix it or replace it. It’s 36” so a standard oven won’t work in that spot. Stay tuned…
The space that we have this little oven in is going to be redone. Walt had a hutch in there.

Lydia wants a mini pantry in that alcove. I will build shelves in there, with space for the recycle and a shelf saved for the oven. It will get a sliding barn door to cover it when not in use. The rains let up this afternoon and I was able to let Rylee out to run. She takes off and runs around and does her Rylee 500! The always end up running through the ditch. It’s got plenty of water but that only makes it better! I had to hose her off again but at least she got a chance to run off some of that puppy energy.   
Dinner was really good. I’m looking forward to leftovers tomorrow! We finished the evening watching our taped programs before calling it a night.   

       
Sunday, January 20th., 2019……   I mentioned that we slept in yesterday. Well, this morning was even better! Even though she got me up to let her out to pee at 1:30am, we both went back to bed and quickly back to sleep. Lydia ended up waking us when she got up. It was almost 8:00am! I like it! My sister was already here with Quincy so I just fed Rylee and then let her out to run with Quincy. Of course, we still needed to do the old hose-job on Rylee to get all of the mud off her. We left the heater on a bit longer to keep the house warmed up so she could dry out. I took off and got coffee/tea/breakfast and settled in to watch my car auction, then motocross racing, then today’s final-day auction. With all of these on tape, it’s convenient for me to watch when I want. Today was another rainy day so it was good to just change into my sweatpants and lounge around the house. Lydia took her time to get out of her jammies. She binge-watched several of her old movies on tape. The two NFL playoff games were today. I don’t care who wins but I wanted LA more than New Orleans. The Dodgers went to the World Series and lost. I think the Rams going to the Super Bowl would be good. Turns out they won. Or rather, the referee missed a crucial penalty, which eventually led to the Rams win. They will play New England in Super Bowl VIII. As evening came around, we heated up the leftover soup and biscuits for dinner, and that was pretty much our day.        
     
Monday, January 21st., 2019…...  Last night was sure good sleeping. But Rylee did wake me up while she was saying her prayer….

Rylee’s Bedtime Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep,
The king-sized bed is soft and deep.
I sleep right in the center groove,
Grammy and Grampy can hardly move.
I’ve trapped their legs, they’re tucked in tight,
And here is where I spend my night.
No one disturbs me or dares intrude,
‘Til morning comes and “I want food!”
I sneak up slowly and begin,
To nibble on my Grampy’s chin.
For morning’s here, it’s time to play,
I always seem to get my way.
So thank you Lord, for giving me,
My Terry and Lydia that I see.
The ones who hug me and hold me tight,
And share their bed with me at night.

Actually, this came to us from my sister.  Who knew how close it came to our life with the butthead… Of course, I had to change it up a bit for her Grammy and Grampy….
Today, Lydia was going into Albany to go shopping with my sister. She left and I hung around the house for awhile. It wasn’t raining and I thought I needed to get outside for a bit, so I took Rylee out on her rope, and then tested the ground around the grapevines. It wasn’t too bad so I dragged out another trash can and spent an hour or so out there, cutting more vines. I’m not near done. As you can see from this shot of one of the vines, they aren’t short!



Plus, they are entwined with the apple tree branches.




Eventually, I will get them all out and cut up into fireplace-sized pieces. Then I will tackle the apple trees. They will eventually get cut down and will go into firewood.  Lydia texted me and had me get some chicken onto the defrosting tray. I’m not sure what she’s planning, but I’ll be ready!
She got back and was pooped after her day’s shopping!  She crashed for a few hours and then went in to start dinner. Turns out the chicken was for. It was excellent! I managed to get Rylee out again for another walk before it got dark and cold. Then we settled back in and watched tv. Tonight, it was America’s Got Talent. They are back to try it again against the best of the best.  This show is sure tough on those past contestants who either won or came close. They only take 2 out of 10 on each show. One goes through by the judges, the other by votes from each of the 50 states. I don’t agree on their picks but it’s still fun to watch.      

No comments:

Post a Comment