About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #10 – More Drs. Appointments, a Birthday, and a New Chair!



Monday, January 28th., 2019…...  This morning we had some errands to run. Lydia had to do another set of labs. She also had her mammogram to do today. We went off to Kevin’s for breakfast and then went over to the hospital to do the blood work. Her appointment wasn’t until 1:45 so we decided to drive up to Salem to go to La-Z-Boy to check out their recliners. Turns out the recliner I bought 15 months ago is no longer reclining! It was certainly fine up until monster puppy turned into a monster puppy! She always likes to jump up on the footrest and has done that since she was little. But being over seventy pounds, she puts a lot of pressure on that thing! It felt like a teeter totter sometimes. It finally snapped! Granted, it was a lesser quality chair, but I would have liked it to last a bit longer. We found a nice chair but wanted to look around some more plus they didn’t have anything in stock. We came back home via another furniture shop in Albany. We looked there and found they had La Z Boys in stock but not in any color I wanted. We spent just enough time there (I was delayed a few minutes to go outside and help a lady with a dead car battery with a jump start) and we were able to get to the hospital in time for Lydia’s appointment. After she was done, we went back home and plugged in our cell phones and took Rylee out for a bit. We asked my sister to come and feed the dog and we took off again, this time south to the La Z Boy showroom in Eugene. They had the same chairs and I found the one I wanted and the guy said to wait until Saturday for a 5% discount. He did take a deposit plus found one in stock. They will be adding the stainmaster treatment to it and I will be back on Saturday to pick it up. It wasn’t the cheapest chair I could have bought but I think I learned my lesson. This is the last chair I should need to buy. We stopped at Newman’s Grotto and had dinner. We got back home and rested from the long day.           

Tuesday, January 29th., 2019……  HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY!!!! We called and talked with him for quite a long time and had a nice visit. They’re hoping they can get up to see us soon. Today was really nice. The sun is out and there were no clouds in the sky. The temps started out cold (38º) and then got super nice and warm (62º) so I was able to go back out and work on the grapevines again. I got all of the vines cut out of the apple tree so that’s done. Next step is to cut all of the branches off the apple trees to leave just the trunk and then either dig it out or cut it flush to the ground. I have enough kindling from the grapevines. I filled up two barrels of twigs from them that I will use for the shop stove. The apple tree branches I think I will cut and pile up and then trim down for firewood. I can then load the scraps in Kirk’s trailer when he has other debris headed for the dump. He was also here today and worked some more on weeding the blueberry cage. After I was done with my project, I came back in and rested. My poor chair is just barely hanging in there! I only have a few more days to deal with it until I get the new one! 
Later, we had leftover Mexican Crack for dinner and then watched yesterday’s taped America’s Got Talent and later, called it a night.  
      
Wednesday, January 30th., 2019…... Another nice day!  It started out with frost on everything but as soon as the sun hits it, it goes away. I got Rylee out and walked and then went and got breakfast. When I got back, Lydia told me she heard back from the doctor’s office. They are referring her to a surgeon for a consult. I don’t think they are comfortable with her labs. And she can’t continue to take the antibiotics. So, a colon re-section may be in her future. Not what we wanted to hear but it’s something she has to prepare for.
We didn’t have anything on the agenda today so we decided to take the butthead out for a car ride. We needed to go to Corvallis to the bank and we drove from there past our neighbor, Lou’s, mink farm. We only found out recently that that’s his business, raising mink. His daughter worked there when she was growing up so it’s been in the family for many years. Not exactly the most popular type of business today, given these minks are raised only for their pelts. He said the customer base is now in Asia. The place is discreet and looks like an egg farm so I’m guessing there’s not any pressure from local animal rights groups.
We got back from the bank run and stopped by my sister’s so Rylee could get out and play a bit with Quincy. Last week Kirk redid the bark mulch all around her house and everything looks nice. He’s even added some photos to his webpage. We got home and Lydia ate dinner. Before we left this afternoon, I had the rest of the Coberg Pizza leftovers for lunch so I wasn’t in the least bit hungry for dinner. I just had a few graham crackers as my ‘dessert’. I watched the last episode of The Masked Singer, since the new one is tonight, which I will watch probably tomorrow. I missed Antonio Brown on the first reveal but have figured out the next three. I think I know who some of the others are but we’ll see how it goes as they are revealed in future shows.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment