About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, June 24, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #58 – Planning for More Company, Mowing Again, and a Grad party


 

Friday, June 21st, 2019…… Today I slept in. Both of us went to bed after 11:00pm last night (rare for us!) so we slept in and amazingly, Rylee didn’t bother us in the middle of the night! She did want her breakfast when I woke up close to 7:00am to go to the bathroom. I fed her and went back to bed until almost 8:00am. Sis came by with Quincy. She had kept the Q away while Rick and Janie’s dogs were here, just to be careful. Now she can bring her over again. I also went out and got breakfast and visited Starbucks for Lydia’s chai latte. So, we are back to our regular schedule, but it was sure fun to have R & J here to visit. We are expecting another visit next month – this time it will be our grandkids, Shelby and Kate. They are flying by themselves from Ft Myers and we will meet them in Portland, and they will be staying with us for 8 days. We can hardly wait!  It’s the first time anyone from Jeff and Krista’s family (including them) have been up here to see us.

Today was mowing day. Lydia headed off to get her nails done and Penny came by and we started in – almost!  The Husqvarna pto switch was faulty, and wouldn’t engage the blades. I took it out and found that it must have gotten hot and one terminal melted in the plug. I sent Penny to get another one while I kept going with the other mower. She got back and I got the part installed and we started in again. I decided to go ahead and attach the grass catcher and went back and got all of the clippings picked up and dumped to bag. Sis got all of that done. Instead of 24 bags, this time we only had 9! It pays to keep up on the grass mowing! We got cleaned up and rested until dinner when sis came back and we took her out to Pizza Schmizza for a nice meal. She drove so I got to try a ‘flight’ of 4 5oz beers of my choice ($7). They were tasty and the price was right. Once we got back, I started in on my Mecum Auction that I taped today. They are in Portland this weekend but I had no desire to drive there and see it live. Maybe another time. I also sent a text to the guy with the boat trailer. He is in Corvallis. No response yet.      
   
Saturday, June 22nd, 2019…... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US!!!  This is number 51! It is impossible to top last year’s 50th in Hawaii!  Our plans today only included going down to Eugene to have dinner and take in a movie. We started the day with breakfast in. Then I headed out to run a few errands. I got everything done and came back to the house. I had heard back yesterday from the guy with the trailer. He still has it and although he has it listed for $300.00, I inquired if the price was negotiable and he responded that he would take $250.00 for it. Sweet! He’s out of town until Tuesday evening so I hope to make contact then and arrange to go see it. Penny went to a yard sale by her house and while there, called Lydia and then texted her a picture of an outdoor patio heater for $30: 


We went there and looked around. We bought the heater (w/propane tank) for $20. plus a few other things that were really well priced. I loaded it up and we headed home. Sis went on to a local furniture store and ended up buying a twin bed for her guest room. They didn’t have one in stock, so she bought the floor model. She called me and I went there and we loaded it in my truck and took it home and set it up in her room. Easy peasy! I went back home and rested for a bit. It turned out that Lydia had some chicken in the fridge that had to be cooked today (she made a chicken and noodle casserole), so we decided to postpone our dinner/movie trip to another day. But that was ok with us and it turned out to be a nice, quiet anniversary at home.      

Sunday, June 23rd, 2019…... Today, we had nothing planned until an event to go to later in the afternoon. I walked Rylee and then went out and made some adjustments to the stationary gear driven rotary sprinkler heads out in the backyard. There are several that are installed 4-5 inches above ground for the best coverage, but Butthead keeps getting her rope
Hung up on them. They tend to bend once an 82lb. dog pulls on them! But with a few tiestraps I had them back to normal and ready to fight another day! I watched my races until later in the afternoon when we got changed to go over to our neighbor’s house for a get together. Paul and Corie’s had a little party to celebrate their youngest daughter, Kaitlynn’s recent high school graduation. They have a nice manicured backyard with trees and everything was really pretty. They also have a huge parking area off their driveway and there must have been 20 cars parked there! But all of our neighbors, like us, walked over. After talking with Kaitlynn for a bit, we spent some time meeting Paul and Corie’s mothers and then found our neighbors Rich and Linda and then Lou came over. As we were leaving, our other neighbor, Jeff, and his two girls were coming in. Autumn, the oldest girl, surprised us by saying that they were selling the house and moving to Salem. These are the folks in the Victorian home to our right. Jeff works nights and sleeps days and, up until last week, had let his grass grow to 3-4 feet. Now we know why he had it cut! Like I said, we were leaving the party but we’ll get more info soon. Anyway, it looks like we’re going to have new neighbors soon!  We left the house and met my sister at Ixtapa’s for dinner, which was very good, as always. When we got home, the party was breaking up and everyone was leaving. We changed back into comfortable clothes and settled in for the evening to watch tv and relax.   

No comments:

Post a Comment