About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #50 – Yard Work, Fishing, & More Yard Work


 

Tuesday, May 28th, 2019…...  My day started early again today. Butthead has got into her habit of getting me up once in the middle of the night. Actually, she only bugs me when I start to get up to use the bathroom so I’m getting up anyway. But she still likes to wake me up early in the morning to go out. Plus, she wants to be fed!  I got up and showered and we did our walk. Kirk came by and weeded and sprayed. Lydia went off for lab work today. My sister came over with Quincy and they did their walk as well.  We ate in this morning and after that I went out and got the tractor out and the catcher hooked up. The grass I cut on Saturday had dried out enough for me to be able to go back over it with the catcher. Sis helped bag it but couldn’t take any home to dump in her yard waste container because it was full. We decided to go out to dinner. I wanted to treat my sister for helping out today. We went to Bigfoot Grill and had a nice meal.   

Wednesday, May 29th, 2019…… Lydia had to go give blood again today. They want to check again on her cyclosporin levels. She said they didn’t care if she fasted or not so she ate yesterday. Guess that skewed the numbers so she had to go back today. But for me, today was a rest day. I went fishing. I got up and got my drinks packed and added to my gear that I loaded in the truck yesterday. I headed up to fish Foster Lake. When I got to my spot, there was a guy already there fishing and I didn’t want to crowd in so I went to another spot. I parked on the other side of the bridge and walked down to a nice spot. It only took me a few minutes to start catching fish. I had bought a second-rod (stamp/add on) to my license so I set up both lines and had fish one after the other for as long as I was there. I caught and released twelve trout but they were just stockers and were really tiny. I decided to go up to Green Peter Lake and try a spot I had scouted out before. It was just down from a launch ramp and no one was there. Same thing – I caught fish right away! It was fun, but again, they were on the smaller side. 



I left there after a bit and wanted to go explore farther up the lake. That turned out to be a mistake! The road didn’t come back out on Highway 20 for quite a few miles! I actually climbed up the mountain and then back down just to get there! I for sure won’t do that again!  I got back home and rested from a nice day. Later, we made tacos for dinner and watched tv until bedtime.    

Thursday, May 30th, 2019…... I had a few things on my to-do list for today. One thing was to pull out the apple tree stumps – or at least try. I had bought a tow strap back about a year ago when my plumber got his van stuck in our field when he was working on my well pump. I hooked it high on the tree (I had left about 5 feet of trunk standing) and pulled out the first one with no issues. That was the smallest of the three. Once I filled the hole, I could back in and get the second one. That one was a lot bigger and even though I pulled it out with no problem, I couldn’t budge the root ball with all of the dirt still on it. My plan all along was to get the first two and then have Chuck get the last big one with his tractor when he comes to mow the ‘west 40’. Once I got my two, and filled in the holes, I got out the chain saw and cut the remaining trunks in to fire sized logs and stacked them along with my firewood. After that - I was done for the day! Lydia said we were having leftovers so I ate early and rested for the evening.    

No comments:

Post a Comment