About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #59 – Testing, Shopping, and Another Boat Trailer


 

Monday, June 24th, 2019…… After walking Rylee, I headed out and got my truck washed, got breakfast, and managed to dump two of my 4 remaining grass bags into the local closed Chinese restaurant dumpster. I was back home before 9:00am.  While I was gone, Sis came by. She was heading off to Bend this morning to spend today and tonight with her ex sister-in-law, Paula (and Gina) so she brought Quincy over for a sleepover. Meanwhile, I set up shop on the laptop this morning. I need to get my Oregon Boater’s License in order to operate my boat. You have to take the test online and its chapter-oriented, meaning that you have to read each page (which stays on screen for 25 sec. before the ‘next’ button appears), before you can continue. It’s not hard material but just takes so much time to get through. I did the first three chapters and can login again to continue whenever I want. So, I stopped, ate lunch, then watched some tv, then went back to it again. I stayed with it and got the next four chapters knocked out, then jumped right in on the final ‘quiz’. Quiz my ass, it was 75 questions! It was mostly what was in the chapter tests but they threw in some others for the first time. I got a good passing score and proceeded to print out my certificate. What I really wanted (and needed) was the Oregon Boater’s Card. Turns out you had to pay $11. for that to be mailed to you. Next up was the transfer of title. I need to go into Salem for that. Maybe this week.
We got both dogs fed and I cleaned and refilled Rylee’s pool so she could play in it. Q’s not interested and wants to stay as far away as possible when Rylee gets going out there. We finished up the evening with leftovers and watched tv until bedtime.

Tuesday, June 25th, 2019…...  This morning I got up early and got Quincy out for her walk. Then Lydia fed Rylee then let her out and to run with Quincy for a bit. Both my sister and I go through some ‘training for treats’ when we’re out there with them and before bringing them in, so I did that. Then we fed the Q dog and she then headed off to her bed for her day of rest.
Today I was supposed to go look at that trailer. The guy wasn’t going to be back in town until later in the day and he had sent Lydia a message on FB yesterday that it was a go for 7:00 this evening. No problem for us, it doesn’t get dark up here until after 9:30. He did say he now needs full price for it and, if I say no, he would move on to the next person who was waiting for my decision. I thought it was worth the $300. but hey, you gotta try, right? I took some more pictures of my trailer and did some measurements to compare when I got there. Sis got back and stayed for a while, then took Quincy and headed on home.    
Later, after dinner, we heard from Jeff and Krista. They were telling us that Shelby and Kate were looking forward to their trip to visit us next month. I think Jeff and Krista are going to be glad to have them leave so they can relax for a week!  We talked about stuff to do and meals they like. Shelby, who we’re told, is quite the chef, wants to cook us dinner while they are here so we will need to go shopping as soon as they get in. We also discussed sleeping arrangements. The girls are 16 ½ and have their own rooms so we probably will use the blow-up bed in Lydia’s room in addition to the guestroom.  They could both sleep in there as they choose.  Jeff mentioned that we should take them for a motorhome trip but I need new tires for the front of the coach before we can go anywhere and I am not going to cough up $2000. bucks right now. But he said the girls would probably at least like to sleep out there in the coach if we could do that. That works but we’ll show the girls and see what they want to do.  We left the house still on the phone with the kids because it was time to go to see the trailer. We hung up with the kids and got there with time to spare and met with the guy, who walked me back to where it was parked.  Turns out this one is way bigger than mine! But there are so many places where I can adjust it, I think it will work and I still think it’s a great buy. Even if it doesn’t work out, I can always sell it for what I paid for it. We got the wiring plugged in (one side didn’t work for the brake/turn signal) and I brought it home and backed it into the garage. I tested the wires and I think I’ve got a bad ground on the right taillight. It’s pretty crust and rusty so I’ll just get new taillights for both sides.
I quit for the evening and left it as it sat for tomorrow. I came in and we watched America’s Got Talent and then we went to bed.
         
Wednesday, June 26th, 2019…... Today we planned on heading up to Salem. Lydia had her two Macy’s gift cards and I needed to go get the boat title transferred. Turns out Macy’s and The Oregon Marine Board office were less that a ¼ mile apart! I dropped her off and went to get my task completed. It was easy – sign, pay, and leave! No one was in line!  I drove back and parked and eventually found Lydia shopping and when she exhausted all of her funds (and then some), we headed to Firehouse Subs for lunch and then to Costco for a short hit and run shopping trip, before we headed back home. I went out and rummaged through the garage looking for a trailer wiring harness I was saving for the utility trailer, but couldn’t find it. I think I’ll just head over to Walmart and check out what they have and pick one up and maybe get some new lights there if they have those.
We didn’t do too much more today after all of that. My sister stopped by to give us an anniversary gift she had ordered and just got. It was a portable ‘cornhole’ game! Now we’ve got one more small thing to entertain the girls!  Lydia made ravioli and we binge-watched three hours of Guys Grocery Games in my room before heading in to the living room to watch The great Food Truck Race, Master Chef, and then the two-hour season finale of The Amazing Race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment