About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #75 – Mowing & Making Travel Plans


 

Sunday, Aug 11th, 2019……  Another lazy Sunday! I walked Rylee and turned back a little early because our neighbor’s dog was loose. I didn’t want him to take off after Rylee before they could catch him, so we turned back and cut the walk short. I took off after giving Rylee her treats, and went out to get us breakfast/coffee/tea. It was another overcast day and we were ok with that because we didn’t have any place to go. We ended up just catching up on chores and then relaxing for the day. I watched my races and Lydia watched her programs. She had gotten some chicken out to defrost and ended up making chicken and black bean burritos for dinner.

Monday, Aug 12th, 2019……  Today was mowing day! I got out early and got the string trimming done. The grass still had dew on it so we waited until about 10:45 to get everything out. I started on the lawn and my sister did the field. I start out doing the patch where the septic tanks are located, then I go out and run the perimeter of the field, getting as close as I dare along the creek bank. My sister starts out after me and works the field grass. Then I head over and do the left (west) side of the driveway and around the grapevines and then around the back of the rv garage because it is very rough back there and the black mower makes for a slightly softer ride. Today, once I finished that section, Lydia took over and did the back and front yard. If you’ve seen pictures (here’s one from back when we moved in), the yards, for the most part, can be mowed in continuous circles. She finished that and then went out to start the area around the front two islands. I sat on the front porch and watched and had a few swigs of Pepsi and then went out and took that over and finished it up and then helped sis do the field. Including the weed whacking and cleanup, the three of us can get the job done (minus grass pickup) in about 2 hours.  Grass pickup is on the list for tomorrow when it dries out. I came in and got in the shower. My sister left and took Quincy, who was here to keep Rylee distracted, and went home. Once I was done, Lydia went in and cleaned up.
Later, we spoke with Janie. We are going down in the motorhome to SoCal early in January and will be camping part of our time in Indio at the FMCA rally, with the Camping Squares. It will be fun to see them all again. We’re not sure of the other dates but we have some time to figure that out. But we need to send in our registration form for the rally before the electrical hookups are gone. We gave Janie a heads up because we have to coordinate with the other members to come in to the rally all together so we can park together. A lot more to discuss but at least we are starting now…
I am watching baseball right now – wait, make that softball!  The Little League Softball World Series is on now. They play that series here in the Portland are. The Oregon team is still in it and plays tomorrow. The Little League Baseball World Series in Williamsport starts Thursday.    

Tuesday, Aug 13th, 2019…... I am waiting till this afternoon to clean up the grass from yesterday, so, after Lydia made us bacon and eggs for breakfast, I headed out to run a few errands this morning. I wanted to go into Albany and visit a couple of auto parts stores. I am going to paint the new boat trailer with truck bedliner paint. It’s tough and waterproof and should last a long time. I probably will order the gallon size from eBay but if I can get it local for only a few bucks more, I will. I still have to get going on the prep work first, though. I also wanted to make the rounds to Habitat for Humanity in both Albany and Philomath. You never know what deals are there!
I got back from my tour and put stuff away. Yeah, I found some ‘deals’. Before I went out to work on the yard, I called FMCA to book a space at the January Indio rally. Turns out the folks that do the reservations are at the Minot ND rally this week. I can send a check or go online if I don't want to wait until next week.  Then I went out and got the catcher hooked up and made the loops to pick up grass. This time we only needed 1 ½ bags! It helps that we mow more often – a lot less to clean up! After that, I came in and rested a bit. The weather has turned again. It is supposed to hit 90º today. It was less than that when we went out so I’m glad we are done now. Kirk and Caleb came by during the hottest part of the day! They weeded and sprayed and called it a day. 
A bit later, Lydia came in and said she wanted to go out for dinner. So, we fed Rylee and then headed for Albany and went to The Depot. That is my favorite spot for seafood in the area. She had shrimp and I had scallops. Yummy! When we got back, we settled in and later watched America’s Got Talent. I wasn’t sleepy so I stayed until after 11:00 before calling it a night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment