About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, August 2, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #71 – Boat Outing & Yard Work


 

Tuesday, July 30th, 2019……  Today was BOAT day! Yaay! I was actually nervous all morning. I got Rylee walked and my sister brought Quincy over and walked and fed her and left her here for the day. She went home to eat and I went and got us breakfast/tea and came back and after eating, I went out and got the boat hooked up. We met sis at the boat launch at Foster Lake and I got the boat backed in and off the trailer (easy peasy) and she parked the truck while Lydia and I got in and I got the motor started and warmed up. Once my sister got back, we headed out. I can’t tell you how great that trip was! Everything, and I mean everything, about the boat was working as I hoped. It starts easy, idles nice and I can run it at trolling speed if I want with no bogging down. It planes quickly and has nice power. It’s not a ski boat but I could probably pull a tube if I wanted. We cruised around the lake and each of us had a turn at the helm. 








We spent most of the time down at the opposite end from the dam so we can go there another time. We headed back to the docks and while the girls held the boat, I went and got the trailer. This is where we had some issues. 




I got it backed down and we got the boat up on the trailer but we had trouble with the winch clearing the tow cradle. I know the other trailer is similar so I will have to figure out how to deal with that. We got everything tied down and headed for home. I stopped at Jon’s to ask his advice about the trailer issue. He said that most everything is adjustable and wait until I get the new trailer going before worrying about it. Once home, I got the boat put away while Lydia showered and got ready. I followed suit and got ready and then we left right after that and went to see Teri for our haircuts.  Penny was just leaving when we arrived. Once we got that done, we stopped for linner at the Linn Lanes and had hamburgers and mushrooms, while we watched the kids afternoon bowling session. It was fun. Once we got home, we rested and I actually took a short nap. Sis came by and got Quincy. After they left, we went back to relaxing. Kirk came by and left Caleb to work out on the east island finishing up the weeding there. When he got back, I went out and paid him for the month. He still has my trailer and said he had dragged the electrical connector, rendering it useless. He bought another connector and asked if I could wire it up. I did that while he went out and worked on the driveway area. After they left, I was done for the day and came back in to watch tv.  Later, we each had a little snack (cookies or chips) and settled in for the night and watched America’s Got Talent before calling it a night.        


Wednesday, July 31st, 2019…… Lydia decided to go back out this morning and work some more on the yard. I left for the DMV. This trip was for registration for the truck. I got my tags and came back home and put them on. Lydia had finished up the weeding (for today) and had everything cleaned up already. It was getting hot so she was done for the day. I came in and worked on my checkbook and my spreadsheet then settled in and watched Mecum Auctions (starting today in Harrisburg PA).
Later, we had leftovers for dinner and caught up on a couple more of Guys Grocery Games before calling it a night.  
     

Thursday, Aug 1st, 2019…...  After showering and getting dressed and walking Rylee, I headed out to get coffee/tea and Lydia got stuff out to make egg sandwiches. After we ate, she showered and got dressed and then we took off.  We needed dog food and went to Wilco and got that. While we were there, we looked at hanging plants. We’ve not had very good luck with those that we’ve put out on the front porch. We found a couple there but decided to look some more. We came home and swapped out the truck for the car so we could haul them home more easily with no issues with the wind. We headed to Albany where we had seen a pop-up nursery with all kinds of plants and stuff. But when we got there, they were closing it for the season. So, we headed off to Lowes and I found my sprinkler heads and she found two plants. They were on sale (plus my mil. discount) so we saved a bunch. Once home, we got those up and watered and settled in for the day. 







Later, my sister came over to walk Quincy (after her vet visit) and we talked about what time for dinner. She is picking us up and we’re going to The Point in Sweet Home.
We got going about 4:00pm and drove the 15 miles there. The Oregon Jamboree starts this weekend in Sweet Home. This is a big deal around here. They always have top name performers and the jamboree sells out quickly. Problem is the crowds and the price. We would like to camp there but we have never found any sites with hookups and dry camping is $170. for the weekend. Plus, a three-day ticket is $385 per person. So, we have never been! It starts tomorrow. As we were driving thru, we could see that they were all set up and were admitting rvs in one gate and vendors in another. Tonight is a free concert for the workers and those in the rvs. Our contractors, Tim and Dana, live a few blocks from the venue (which is just a field next to the high school) and have told us they don’t need a ticket – they can hear everything from their house. But they say the crowds make them leave and they usually head over to the coast and spend time on their boat during the festival. We had a nice meal and headed back home where she dropped us off and went home. We settled in and watched tv and headed off to bed.          

No comments:

Post a Comment