About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, July 7, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #20 – Escrow Papers and Then Move In Day!

Wednesday, July 5th, 2017…..  Today we go sign escrow papers and get the wire transfer done. I woke up early – again another anxious day! – and did my walk while the girls got ready.  We drove up to Lebanon and went to Apple Tree for breakfast and then went to our 10:00am meeting/signing at the escrow office. That only took a few minutes.  Aimee met us there and told Penny no response yet on her offer.  We had an 11:30am appointment at our bank in Corvallis to get the wire transfer done.  We were early and had to wait for him to come in but we still got in and out in a few minutes.  We had the rest of the afternoon free until we had to take Penny to the airport.  We stopped at a few furniture sales stores just to look around.  One was mostly imported stuff but we did stop at one place where everything was made right there in the factory from Oregon sourced wood.  Very nice but very pricey! We continued on home and threw chicken pies in the convection oven for an easy meal before we headed off to the airport.  She is stressed out about the offer but excited about it too.  Fingers crossed. We came back home and rested for the evening and caught up on the Tour de France. Aimee called us later in the evening to let us know escrow funded and we could get our keys tomorrow at the house!  Yaaay!   Later, I took sis to the airport and on the way Aimee called with the seller’s counteroffer.  Still a bit off on the deal so I dropped her off with a bunch of numbers swimming around in her head.  She will do her financial planning, crunch the numbers and come up with an answer she’s comfortable with.  Again, we’ll see.  I stopped at Costco on the way home to check on their beds.  We still need to buy one for the guest room, along with furniture for that room.  Just checking at this time.  I got home and Lydia was ready for ice cream so we headed to Coburg and got some waffle cones and celebrated a bit!     

Thursday, July 6th, 2017…..  Even though we wanted to get there asap, we slept in a bit and then got the rig prepped for travel.  We left around 9:00am and decided to not tow since it was only a short drive.  At about 9:40 we turned down our new street and into our new driveway and parked at our new home! 

Aimee put the keys in her lock box and yesterday gave us the code. I got the key to the workshop and figured out where to park the rig so I could plug in.  We found out that Walt will be coming back with a rented trailer to haul his jeep away so I parked to give him room to get it out. Problem was I wanted to park right where the jeep was parked.  So I just pushed it out enough so that Walt could get to it easily and I could slide in next to the workshop. The workshop does not currently have 30 or 50 amp service so we are limited to usage on the 20 amp service. Our plan is to use the rig to sleep in and to watch tv in and we’ll shower and cook in the house. I need to call in an electrician to get that wiring updated and it’s on our list. We leave on 7/10 to fly to Vegas for Jeff’s wedding.  Our three pods get here on 7/11 but we are not required to be here so we gave instructions on where to place each of them in the driveway. We get back late on 7/12 so we’ll be able to start unloading on 7/13. Aimee came by to pick up her lockbox that had the keys in it so we spent some time with her before she had to leave.  First time she’s seen our coach so now she wants a motorhome!  We spent the rest of the day moving clean/dirty clothes, towels, toiletries, food, and paperwork into the house. Then we started looking at where we wanted to start our work.  I need to familiarize myself with the systems both in the house and in the garage and workshop.  We have a crawlspace under the house as well as attic access.  Walt left a small ladder (and I’ll use it tomorrow for the attic) but I did take a peek under the house.  Everything looks ok from the entrance but I’ll leave exploration for another day. I had checked out the irrigation system the other day on the walk thru so I now need to look at each of the timer boxes (one in the garage and one in the workshop) so I know which zones work where and that was pretty straight forward.  The drip system probably has a mile of lines so that will take a while! As you can see from the picture Walt did not mow before he sold the mower! 
 

Later in the afternoon, Walt's finance's grandson came by with a trailer to pick up the jeep.It took us an hour or more to winch it up and get it tied down for the trip back to Redmond. Hope he makes it!

The grass area and fields are really high. My mower doesn’t get delivered until 7/17. I couldn’t stand the weeds around the motorhome so when we went for lunch we kept going to Coast Farm/Ranch Supply and I bought a Stihl gas powered string trimmer and gas cans and earmuffs, etc. They pre-ran it for me and showed me a little about it.  Tomorrow I will chop down some of the weeds around the workshop so at least we will have a path to the rv!  I did manage to get a Directv box hooked up in the house.  We did some calculating about rooms we needed tvs in and decided we needed at least one more – maybe two! I have a small 15” I use when in the motorhome to hook up to local cable so we can get local info wherever we are. That tv is moveable so I used that one just to test.  We will be calling Direct soon but we want all of our tvs here so we can get them all done at the same time. Side note – we have yet to see a Directv truck here.  We’re told that they contract through Centurylink for this area.   Centurylink is one of the internet providers here and we’re told they use dsl which is not very fast.  We want Directv but we want Comcast internet if possible.  Tomorrow I will make some calls to see what I can do.


As I said, we went into town and ate and it was kinda late so we considered that our linner. Even though the house is air conditioned and was really nice we went out to the motorhome to watch the larger tvs (and our taped programs), before going to bed.  Busy day (but super fun!)        

1 comment:

  1. Check out Costco beds online. They have a bunch at good prices.

    ReplyDelete