About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, July 21, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #27 – PODS Away plus the New Mower


Thursday, July 20th, 2017…..  This morning I got a call from the PODS driver at 6:45am! The guy (Steve) has three pods to pick from us and he has to make two trips so he’s starting early.  I jumped in the shower and was ready when he arrived at 7:30am. No problems and he was on his way quickly.  He made the second run about 10:00am and now we have that process completed. I was skeptical about PODS but they were great.  The only issue I had was getting placed on hold waiting to place an order.  I made it known that they need more folks manning the phones to take care of people quicker.  But all in all, it was an easy process and although not cheap, it was not as pricey as I was led to believe. I would recommend them to others.

The rest of the day was ours.  We continue to put things away, set things up, and just organize what we want and where.  I assembled the closet shelving system and got that put in.  It’s more of a cabinet with open shelves and a few drawers, which works for my stuff.  Lydia likes it so we may put another one up on her side!  I also assembled my storage cabinet for my office. A tv will go on top. We still need to decide what tvs go where.  My sister still has one of ours that will be coming up with our Acadia.  We will figure it out. Lydia is still working on kitchen organization.  She’s not happy with the layout so we will have a remodel coming up in the future.  No worries for now though. She’s also decided to divide her time between the kitchen and the craft room.  Today she’s sorted through her stuff.  She has two closets that will hold a lot of her treasures plus she has a window overlooking the front of the house which is nicer than my room.  I’m just glad she’s happy. Happy wife – happy life! 


Friday, July 21st, 2017….. Today was delivery day for the lawnmower! Also the sprinkler guy is coming back.  But first up I headed out to Starbucks for coffee and tea.  I also stopped by the local gas station where I can purchase non-ethanol gas for the mower.  That done, we started in on our respective rooms.  Lydia continued on her craft room and I worked on the master closet.  We had dozens of boxes to unpack and put away. I did find some things to toss but I found it’s easier to do it when you put it away rather than when you are loading the boxes – at least for me anyway.  The driver called as he was en route and close. He showed up and unloaded it and left. The sprinkler guy called too – he was close as well. I immediately filled up the mower, started it, and made a few passes on the west lawn.  It’s fun!  



While I was checking out my work, the sprinkler guy showed up.  Prior to closing, Stutzman Irrigation was called out by Walt to fix a leak.  Since we still have a leak, we called them back out.  We showed him the leak but it was only the valve that they replaced. When you turn on that recently replaced valve, water would bubble out of the ground across the walkway! Turns out Walt had installed another valve way back when and that zone was never used and ran to an open pipe.  Well, we didn’t know that when you opened that valve it would leak! Problem solved. But when he was here last time he also evaluated the whole system and gave Walt a bid which he never authorized them to fix – no more spending for Walt!  We asked him to reevaluate and give us that bid.  We authorized some of the work to be done today – several of the sprinkler risers will be replaced today and then he will come back after the plants are in to work on the drip system. That way all of the new stuff can be covered too. As the day grew longer, we had to clean up and leave to head to Albany.  Our realtor’s office was having an appreciation picnic for their clients and we got an invite.  We stopped at Lowe’s and returned some drawer pulls and then went over to the park and spent a few hours eating and drinking and meeting some nice people.  We also got to meet Aimee’s husband and plan to have them over soon. Afterward, we stopped at Home Depot and got some other drawer pulls that we spotted and liked better and headed home.  Earlier, I had texted Randy.  He is on his way up with our truck.  His plan was to drive halfway  (Sacramento area) today and come in tomorrow.  Instead, he decided to drive to Medford and will spend some time with old friends there.  He is bringing up one of his mountain bikes to leave here so he will ride with them tomorrow and come up late tomorrow night or Sunday sometime. We rested and I worked on the blog and watched the Tour.  Two more days to Paris!  

No comments:

Post a Comment