About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, July 8, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #21 – Haircuts, Hula, a First Meal and First Lawn Work!


Friday, July 7th, 2017…..  Although we had a chance to sleep in today, I woke up
at 6:00am and couldn’t go back to sleep. I went in and took a shower in the house (nice!) and came back out and Lydia was still sleeping.  She eventually woke up and took her shower.  We ate breakfast and watched a few minutes of the Tour de France and talked about our plans for the day.  We both wanted to get haircuts and then she had a nail appointment @ 1:00.  Earlier I got a text and then a call from my sister saying that her offer had been accepted!  She’s still in a situation of being both excited and nervous.  It’s a lifestyle change. We were ready for it but everyone is different.  Plus she’s by herself which makes it harder. But at least she’ll be close by so that helps.

Later, we went to Walmart and got our hair cut and then went shopping and picked up a few cleaning supplies. We then went back home and after we unloaded the car I started up the string trimmer and knocked down some of the weeds closest to the motorhome. 



Lydia started on the kitchen. I finished 90% of my work and then rested a bit and Lydia came out to rest and to check on me.  We watched more of the race then set out to clean the refrigerator and scrub the kitchen floor.  Both were ok but we needed to get them cleaned just to feel better.  That done, we came back to the rig. Lydia took off a bit later to get her nails done and I watched the rest of today’s Tour. I did go out and finish up the cutting.  My across the street neighbor, Rick, saw me working and drove his lawn mower over and asked me if I wanted to use it.  Nice offer but I declined telling him I was just playing around a bit and that my tractor was coming next week. He also told me they have their field mowed ($100) by a guy 2-3 of times a season.  He uses his riding mower to do his own lawn which is about the same size as ours.  I’m calling his guy to get more info and maybe a bid.  Rick also volunteered to help me with weed control after the season. Meanwhile, Aimee’s landscaper friend we had called, called back and we set a time on Sunday for him to take a look at my flowerbeds and give us an estimate.  It’s certainly worth the money. We have so much work at the start just to get them presentable again. If he weeds, removes dead plants, and re-mulches we can take it from there with maintenance. Later in the afternoon we decided to fix dinner. We had bought stuff for tacos which was the first meal fixed in the house.  We don’t have any furniture yet so we took it back to the motorhome to sit and eat.  Then back in to wash dishes and then back to the rig for the rest of the night.  We find it extremely quiet here – almost too quiet to sleep.  But I’m sure we’ll learn to get used to that in no time at all!  J
  
Saturday, July 8th, 2017…..  Last week Aimee made the mistake of telling us she was performing (hula dancing) with her group at the Corvallis Farmer’s Market today.  So we decided to go surprise her.  We rolled up to the downtown market street and parked and walked around and checked out everything.  It was a small area but there were a lot of booths.  And boy, what a selection of vegetables! Huge tomatoes, huge sweet onions, super colorful rhubarb, etc. etc. 




We leave on Monday so we didn’t buy too much, just a couple of tomatoes. We found the hula ladies.  


Problem was we didn’t spot Aimee!  Turns out she had a rough night sleeping last night and begged out for today. Oh well, maybe next time.  We drove back through town and stopped at Sherwin Williams paint store to get some color swatches.  Jeff has an account with them so we can get his discount when we buy the paint.  That done we drove up to Albany and stopped at Loafer’s, a place Aimee told us she and her hubby like to go for dinner.  We picked up a $100. gift card which we will attach to a big dark chocolate candy bar (her favorite), along with a thank you card, to give to her later. We ran the Honda through a car wash and then later stopped at Lowe’s and picked up paint supplies.  We stopped at Fred Meyer to get a couple of thank you cards (the other for Mary, our agent in Eugene). We also hit a few furniture/mattress stores on the way back home.  Once back, we unloaded the car and each of us made our own lunches and then we rested and watched the Tour de France. I spent some time laying out floor protection for the dining room, which is the first room I will tackle once we get back from Vegas.


I guess we must have had a late lunch (didn’t notice the time) and neither of us felt hungry so we skipped dinner and snacked later and settled in to watch tv.     

1 comment: