About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

2017 Trip – Blog #24 – Pods and Pods and Internet!

 2nd post today!  read the earlier one first! 

Friday, July 14th, 2017…..  Today the guest bedroom set is being delivered.  Meanwhile, I set out to put away items from pod #1.  They are manageable items.  Just many trips with boxes and items for either the house or garage.  The guys showed up while I was working and set up the bed and the furniture in the guest room.


Lydia thought they might help with the master bedroom furniture so I asked them and they agreed.  They use those mover’s shoulder straps for their deliveries and they worked well on the big ass heavy oak items in our bedroom! They sweated but they got it all done for us.  We checked our cash on hand and pooled it and gave them $42. It sure didn’t seem like enough for us but they were very appreciative. Hey, it’s extra lunch money! Now the room is ready for the new platform and bed!

Today was also internet installation day.  Comcast/Xfinity was our choice.  They have packages with phone, tv, internet, and security. Don’t need tv (we use Direct for the house and need it for the rv), don’t want a landline, and will think about security for next step.  It’s very safe out here but you never know…  The guy found the feed and ran a temporary line to the house which will get buried in 2-3 weeks. He went through the subfloor and came out in my office for the router.  That room is not centrally located in the house and they said signal strength is over 100 feet but might be iffy through walls and around corners to the opposite end of the house.  He set me up with access and passwords and I was good to go. I opted for a faster speed and was very pleased. I tested the signals and found everything works in the house.  The office is close to the back corner of the yard looking out to the driveway.  The signal even comes through well in the motorhome. So rv guests coming to visit will be happy.

I got going and kept going (w/breaks) until I got pod #1 all done. It was another long day but we now have 40% of everything in. We didn’t get anything out for dinner so we took off and ate at Shari’s (like a Denny’s) and went home and unpacked a bit before calling it a night.
    
Saturday, July 15th, 2017….. Up to now we have been spending more time in the rig but with furniture and the big tv in the house, Lydia has been there more than the rv.  I still take breaks in the motorhome to watch my races and the tour. But we still sleep out there.  Until today!  The new mattress and platform were delivered today!  That install was pretty easy and we got the bed set up.  The split xl twin beds got their sheets and we tested the system.  Lydia loves the way the feet and the head can go up or down so she can elevate whatever and whenever she wants!


That done, it was back to unloading pod #2. There is house stuff plus garage stuff in that one.  I find that the hardest part in moving in is finding places for everything. Since we have a two car attached garage on the house, the big unattached garage, going forward, will now be called the workshop.  It’s 20’ x 50’.  The front 30’ is actual garage/storage space, and the back 20’ is a workshop but as a whole, going forward, I’m calling it the workshop. Anyway, I have to plan out where things will go out there but for right now they are just getting moved in period.



Lydia fixed a chicken and rice casserole.  It was delicious but stayed in the oven just a little too long. This stove is a newer Dacor and is definitely a learning curve!  First off, it’s gas top burners. We have always had electric stoves in our last two homes (since 1976) so this is the first time she’s cooked using gas tops in a while (except for the rv). But this stove does have an electric oven.  She found it does cook faster so she needs to reduce the cooking times a bit.  Just takes getting used to.  I took my dinner out to the rv to watch the Tour and she settled in her recliner and watched her programs.  I came in later to find that she turned in and was sound asleep in her new bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment