About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, August 28, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #45 – Carousel Tour and More Family!

 

Sunday, August 27th, 2017…..   Mike and Pat woke up and ate breakfast in their rig and came in about 10:30am.  We sat around and talked and Penny left for the next round of cleaning at the house. We needed to go to the store and I suggested we drive into Albany so I could check Lowe’s to get an electrical plate for her patio outlet.  We decided to continue on to downtown and hit Lowe’s and Walmart on the way out.  The newly refurbished carousel building and studio has been open since Aug. 15th.  And it was open today so I parked and we went in.  



No admission and no charge for parking.  I’m sure glad we did!  It was really well done.  All volunteers and probably four years in the making, they did an excellent job.  Carvers take on a horse (or fish or giraffe or whatever) and work it up to paint.  Then it goes upstairs to get all the colors put on by volunteers (mostly artistic ladies!).  Then it goes out to an automobile paint shop to get layers and layers of clear coat.  This carousel (you can see it in the pictures) still has room for more animals.  






We stopped at the concession stand and got popcorn, pretzels and a drink and while we were eating, Lydia offered an extra seat at our table to an older gentleman with a cane.  Turns out he and his wife did one of the horses.  He was very nice and talked with her for 15-20 min. about his work.  Nice to get that kind of info.  Later, we visited the gift shop and the paint shop and I met another gentleman who told me about the carving shop downstairs.  So I went to the lady by the elevator who allowed us access.  We met Jack, a docent, down there who gave us even more details on the operation and the wood they use and where they get it and how it’s received (it’s basswood and comes pre-glued in made to order blocks, depending on what they are making). I took some pics of the works in progress.  







We stopped at Lowe’s and got some things (no luck on the plate) and then to Walmart for stuff for dinner.  We came back and watched the LL World Series.  Sorry to Lufkin – Japan was just too tough.  The girls fixed an excellent rib and mac and cheese dinner and after we sat and talked a while then went out for fireballs on the porch before going in for the night.     


Monday, August 28th, 2017…..  This morning we got up a bit later than usual.  Mike and Pat got up and got ready to hit the road.  They plotted out their trip today and put it into their gps.  They are going to head back south via the coast. We said our goodbyes and they hit the hwy. It was really nice to spend time with them.  I then left to go to Albany to run some errands.  I wanted to go to Habitat for Humanity to see what new cabinets they had received and to see if my mower was still there.  Nope! I also checked on the electrical plate for my sister’s patio. Nope.  After that, I stopped by Lowe’s and ordered our new front screen.  We really like the sliding screens and have had them on our home for years so Lydia previously had picked out the one at Lowe’s so I went back today to set it up.  I had put the others on but Lowe’s has free installation (the door is marked up higher than Home Depot’s!)  so they will be calling me to set up a date. Meanwhile, Lydia’s sister, Judy, and her brother, Bill and his wife made the drive from their homes in Chico, CA to come up and visit for a few days.  They pulled in and got the outside tour pretty quickly because the smoke from all of the Oregon fires is getting really thick! I set up the blowup beds while they visited.  My sister came back from the DMV where she took her test and got her driver’s license plus plates for her car. I stayed away from the family visit and watched my taped NASCAR race and went on hold with the CA Franchise Tax Board so I could change my address.  Seems they already have it on file.  I’m not quite sure and she wouldn’t say but I’m thinking the CA DMV must tie in to their database somehow. But that’s done. Just the Feds to deal with now. Later, Penny and Lydia cooked and we all had a nice yummy meal. Once it cooled down in the evening we all sat out and talked before turning in for the night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment