About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #128 – Getting Motorhome Ready and Getting RV Work Done


 

Monday, October 1st, 2018…...  Kind of a slow day for both of us. We didn’t have too much planned. I took off to go to Albany to check on some leashes from Dollar General. Turns out there are no Dollar General stores in Albany but I did stop at Wheeler Dealer and bought a couple of new dog collars for the monster mutt. Then I headed off to Sweet Home to the Dollar General there. We had found and bought a couple of large-dog leashes at DG to use as spares and to have in the cars just in case. These are the retractable type and have ribbon type material rather than a cord. They were only $7.00 and we bought them out (2) before so I wanted to check other stores. The Sweet Home store had one and I bought it, so we are good for now. The rest of the day we straightened up the house and vacuumed and then called it a day.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018…...  After walking Rylee, I took a trip out to get breakfast/coffee/tea and then went out to prep the motorhome for my trip tomorrow. Cherrelyn, our ‘adopted daughter’ has finally made plans to come up to visit all of us and she arrived today. She shuttled down from Portland and Penny went to pick her up. They went to Penny’s to get settled in and then came over for dinner. We gave her the tour and ate a nice meal. After a nice visit they headed off and I finished getting the motorhome out and the tow car hooked up. I plan on leaving early, early tomorrow morning.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018…...  I got up at 4:00am and got myself ready and took off about 5:00am and headed north. My appointment today was at Laurelhurst Distributors to have the motorhome refrigerator tested to confirm that I needed a new one or not. The drive was ok and I got there about 7:20am (they opened at 8:00am) and got parked and unhooked the Honda. They immediately moved it in and went to work on it. They reset the fault codes and got it running. And it didn’t trip to the fault code. Yaay! Next up was to test the actual cooling ability so they hooked up thermostats to track the temps. I had to wait that out so I took off and went to McDonald's to eat breakfast and have some coffee. I drove around a bit and checked out the area. This is the Mt. Tabor district of Portland. It is actually a fairly high hilly area, just east of the city. Laurelhurst Dist. was established in the mid 80s and they made the wrong choice for an rv shop. The streets are tiny and Burnside St. is also a narrow street but it runs 20 miles or more east/west so it’s always busy. Ed, the owner said he didn’t plan on working on rvs, they just were a distribution center, but evolved into more service than they wanted. It was tight getting in and I needed to find an exit route to get back to the I-84 when I left to go home. More on the tightness of these streets later…. I went back and checked on the status. Still working and it needs more time. So, I took off again. This time I headed north and crossed the Columbia River and into Washington. I drove around a bit and then worked my way back. When I got back, there was another motorhome next to me with huge damage to the right side. Turns out he was coming in for something else and got hit by a car on the tight streets. Probably three grand in repairs!  I went and checked in with Chuck, the service tech, who gave me the news. It wasn’t cooling at all! The cooling unit would need to be replaced. He also said they didn’t have one. I was stunned!  I said Ed made it clear he would get me taken care of in short time. When we spoke on the phone weeks ago, he asked me to stay the night because it had to run for 24 hours plus he didn’t have security for the coaches on the lot. He wanted me in and out asap.  I only planned on being there one night. So, they agreed to go through another distributor (and pay their higher price) to get the unit delivered tomorrow. Either way, I had to stay tonight. I got everything set up 




and then took off for dinner (Wendy’s) and then drove around some more and then came back and settled in for the night. I was able to get my Directv dish up and going so I watched tv until bedtime.          

No comments:

Post a Comment