About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Oregon Living 2019 – Blog #90 – Finishing Projects, Mowing and a Trip to Urgent Care


 

Wednesday, Sep 25th, 2019…… I got going early this morning and got Rylee out and walked and fed. I left and drove back to Albany to get some wheels for the new cabinet. I stopped back at both the Habitat stores in Philomath and Albany but ended up at Harbor Freight and found what I wanted. I also had to stop and get nuts, bolts and washers for the project. It took a few hours but I got the wheels on and then called it a day. Tomorrow, I will move it into place and load it up. Lydia headed over to the senior center to play bingo and then again to the fabric store for more material for her quilting class. I’m glad to see her up and out and getting some exercise these days. She has no symptoms whatsoever from her colon issues and is feeling good. Sis is not though. She says she is still woozy and nauseous and has no energy or appetite. She’s recently finished her meds so we’re watching closely…
I took it easy the rest of the day and just did some odd jobs around the yard.  I have sooo many trash cans these days. They are all around – in both shops and the rv garage and outside by the potting shed. So, it was time to gather them all up and dispose in the container for trash pickup tomorrow. Now I was done for the day!
Lydia went off to KFC to get their family pack with the free cake. Turns out that was almost $30 so she picked up what we wanted for $16.   We ate dinner in my room and watched the latest two Guys Grocery Games we had taped. We were saddened to see that Carl Ruiz, one of Guys best friends and fellow chef as well as a celebrity judge on the show had passed away. The second show, which was a Halloween theme, we think was pushed up to today because Carl was on it and they thought they would honor him on his last show.  We watched that and then a couple of our own shows and then called it a night.  
 
Thursday, Sep 26th, 2019…... Once we got up and going, I took butthead out for our walk and was going to fix a couple of (Jimmy Dean) frozen breakfast sandwiches, but Lydia said she would make bacon and eggs and I can’t say no to that! After that, I went out and got the cabinet installed in the rv garage and then came in and talked about our day. The plan was to mow the grass again, this time only the yard and not the field. It was too wet from the dew earlier so I came in and worked on this blog a bit and got caught up. Lydia went to Walmart to get something for dinner and I finished up in the house and went out and took care of the weed whacking ahead of mowing. After that, we were able to get the mower out and take care of the yard. Since we weren’t doing the field this time, we only used the one mower. I did the west side of the driveway and then the perimeter and around the islands in the main yard. Lydia came out about then and took over and did the rest. We were done pretty quickly. We will wait until tomorrow to pick up the clippings.  She fixed the parmesan crusted tilapia she bought earlier and fried some potatoes and cooked some green beans as well. It was a really tasty meal. Afterwards, we watched our own shows until bedtime.

Friday, Sep 27th, 2019…...  I slept well and got up ready to go and got showered and walked Rylee. I didn’t mention this earlier but I must have found something in the tree or surrounding area that Kirk and I worked on Tuesday that triggered my allergies. I was ok on Wednesday morning but noticed redness around my nose later in the evening. Thursday morning it was even more red and was now puffy. I put on some hydrocortisone cream and took a Benadryl. That didn’t help much, other than make me sleepy. When I got up this morning, I noticed it was worse, so after our walk, I went in to town to Urgent Care. The dr. examined me and said it was most likely Contact Dermatitis. He said he saw a pattern above and below where I wore my goggles when I used the chain saw (which I didn’t notice). Even though I wore gloves, I must have rubbed my eyes and forehead with them after dragging the brush. It was also red right above the gloves on my wrists, so I think it was definitely the tree!

He prescribed prednisone for ten days. I hate that stuff, but if it will help me clear this up, I’m all in!  After that short office visit, I came back home and rested for a bit and ate breakfast. Later, I went out and got the mower and catcher ready and went around and scooped up the grass clippings. Lydia came out and bagged it and then we switched. It was good we did it when we did – the rains came a few hours later!  The grass didn’t bother me - I used a different pair of goggles and gloves on the tractor. We got that job done and settled in for the rest of the day. I couldn’t get my prescription today because the Walgreens computers were down for most of the day and when they came up, they still had to turn it in to our insurance. But I had the dosage and instructions on my paperwork so I just used some of Lydia’s prednisone to get started.  We decided to go out to dinner tonight but when it was time, we made the call to go get take out. We chose Jack in the Box and brought it home and ate and then settled in for the night.  The rains are due in today and tomorrow and this time, the temps are supposed to be way cooler. It had been down to the mid-50s at night up to now, but with this front, it’s now supposed to go into the mid-40s. Yeah, summer is over!  

No comments:

Post a Comment