About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #88 – Time With Daisy, Getting Back to Normal and Yard Work


 

Friday, June 29th, 2018……  Now that we have sort of caught up on our sleep, we finished up a few things around the house. Daisy and Penny came by and we spent time playing with Rylee.  Daisy and her got along so well.  We drove up to Silverton to see the Oregon Gardens.  I've talked about this place before, but if you didn't know, it's a large complex, owned by the city of Silverton, designed to control water distribution to the valley. It has has massive areas covered with hundreds and hundreds of different specimens of trees and plants. We took the tram tour then walked around the place for a bit.  













We finally got the name of our cedar plant just off the front porch. 




Later, we went out to dinner.  We wanted to do something for Daisy to thank her. We went to The Point just outside of Sweet Home.  It’s one of our favorite places to eat and Daisy liked it as well.  Afterward, we went back to the house and sat out on the porch and relaxed and had a few drinks.  They left and we settled in for the night.  We’re still trying to catch up on our sleep and get back on schedule. I know Rylee misses her Daisy but she sure does love having Grammy and Grampy back home again!     

Saturday, June 30th, 2018……  Today, Daisy had her flight back home.  She lives in La Mirada and flew here from LAX.  Her flight back is straight through and leaves in the afternoon.  So, we left early and drove to Coburg Pizza for lunch.  Daisy liked it and it is our favorite so it was a treat for us too!  We then went over to Walt’s Ice Cream, and Daisy treated us to cones. Thanks Daisy!  We got her to the airport and said our goodbyes and headed back home.  It was a lazy day with nothing much planned.  I know I had stuff taped that I wanted to start on. Lydia lounged around and watched tv as well. We didn’t eat dinner since neither of us was hungry after pizza.

Sunday, July 1st, 2018……  It turned out to be a typical Sunday for us.  Get up, walk Rylee, feed Rylee, play with Rylee, rest, repeat. We found that we really needed a day just to do nothing.  It was nice and quiet.  Plus, Rylee got a lot of play time.

Monday, July 2nd, 2018……  Today we really had to go to grocery shopping.  Prior to leaving on the trip, we had left Daisy with plenty of food to last her through the week. It worked out great and we spent the last few days eating what was left so it was definitely time to hit Walmart.  After getting that done, I went out to clean up some stuff in the shop. I also got out my Stihl and weed whacked some of the area around the grapevines and apple trees. Later, after catching my breath, I got out the gas lawnmower and walked it around the grape stumps and apple trees.  Boy, that’s more than I want to do at a time! I took a break and went out later and raked it up.  I still needed to clean up around the water pipes so I could set up the timer to the irrigation line that goes out to the blueberries. I got that going and was done with yard work for the day.  We worked around the house, just straightening up a little and that was it for the day.  We each ate a late lunch so we didn’t fix dinner tonight. Then it was more catching up on taped programs for each of us.   

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018……  Today was lawn day! I got up and walked Rylee and checked out the grass.  Unfortunately, I didn’t shut off the sprinklers yesterday so it was still pretty wet and I would have to wait until later. I went out and got breakfast and tea and watched tv for a bit.  Then I went out and got the black tractor started and did the west side of the driveway.  I then made a round trip around the house and parked it and went and got the orange tractor out.  I wanted to try it since the last time we used it, my sister had smoked it out and the belts were slipping.  I started out slowly and everything worked fine. No issues. I kept going and did the outside of the lawn area (out by the street). Lydia jumped on the black mower and finished the lawn.  Then we both set out to do the field grass area out behind the lawn.  It took about 2 hours for both of us to do everything!  Not bad and the tractor worked perfectly!  I’m thinking that my sister just went too fast when she was mowing and got the driveshaft and pulleys and belts too hot.  Going slower worked for me and mows better as well!  I’m still planning on getting the tractor in for service and new belts. We were done for the day and planned on going back over it tomorrow with the catcher to get all of the clippings. Lydia went to pick up a prescription and then we ate a late lunch so we skipped dinner again tonight.       

No comments:

Post a Comment