About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, July 27, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #97 – Yardwork, Sprinkler Repair, and Another Visitor


 

Tuesday, July 24th, 2018……   I slept in this morning. I guess I was still tired from fishing yesterday! No plans today. It was going to be really hot today.  Lydia did go out and pull some more weeds but I made her stop after a bit and come in for the morning.  I picked up her stuff and she enjoyed the a/c and a nice cold glass of water. Kirk came by this afternoon and spent some time working on the flower beds. We’ve decided to have him work for us on a regular basis, twice a month, to help keep the flowerbeds under control. Later, Lydia went back out and worked for another hour – until Kirk left for the day. He cleaned up their work and Lydia came in and cleaned up. I had decided that I was going to take her out to dinner tonight – her choice. But she couldn’t decide when we set out. So, I chose The Depot for seafood. She said that was a great choice. We had a nice meal and headed home to work on the sprinkler systems. I have all of the 8 zones on the main system and the 3 zones west of the driveway on timed programs. I can override them to choose whichever ones we need to see. We concentrated on the flowerbed’s irrigators rather than the lawn rainbirds. We went through each of those zone by zone and identified the ones that needed adjustment and/or repairs, plus we found some areas that we need to add sprinklers to. Rylee has decided to chew the ones she can find so some of those were in need of repair. I have to go get more material but at least we have a start now.       

Wednesday, July 25th, 2018……  The weather will be hot again today. We had no real plans so we decided to go to Coastal Farm and Ranch. We needed to exchange one of the cushions on the newly bought front porch chairs. One of them has a burn spot that we can’t explain, other than we got it that way and just didn’t notice it. Coastal was very understanding and with very little explanation, exchanged it with another one from their display. The manager said they would just put a huge markdown on that set to sell it. We then stopped at Arby’s for lunch – for me – Lydia had eaten just before we left. Then we drove down to Corvallis to Garland’s Nursery.  That’s where Kirk and Lydia got the plants that he put in last season.  Some of them weren’t doing too well so she wanted to ask for some advice. Kirk also transplanted three red leafed shrubs from my sister’s house.  They have gone dormant. The nursery expert told Lydia to scrape the bark and see if it’s green at any point.  She thinks when Kirk took them out, he didn’t get enough of the root ball that they needed to survive here. We’ll get to that tomorrow. On the way home, we heard from my sister. Her friend, Marlyn, is arriving in Portland and shuttling down to Albany today. She was going to pick her up and they were going to dinner. Since I just ate, we came home and Lydia went off to meet them at Ixtapa. Afterward, Penny took Marlyn back to her place and she got settled in there. After a bit they came by so Penny could show her our place and we could sit out with us on the porch and visit for a while. Plans are in place for a few things to see and do while she’s here. More on that later. Afterwards, we watched a few more of our taped ‘watch together’ shows before calling it a night.           

No comments:

Post a Comment