About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #157 – Merry Christmas!


Monday, December 24th, 2018…...  Today was Lydia’s day to get up and feed Rylee. But I did get up and let her out earlier so I guess we’re even! After showering and getting ready for the day, I took monster mutt out for her walk. No rain at this point in the morning. Our neighbor was packing their car for their trip up north to be with family for Christmas. Another neighbor left yesterday for Christmas in the Bahamas. We’re looking at a quiet block for the holidays this year. I had vacuumed the house the other day so I didn’t have anything on my to-do-list today so I just kicked back. Lydia had bathroom cleanings on her to-do-list so she was busy for the morning. My sister is coming over today with Quincy. They will both spend the night. We’re also keeping the Q on Christmas night and Penny will sleep at home and take off early on the 26th to hit some of the stores after-Christmas sales.
Lydia got her enchiladas in the prep stage and then got them going later in the day. Sis brought over the rice and beans and we had a nice dinner. We relaxed and watched tv until it was time to call it a night. In the local newspaper a couple of days ago, we had seen a list of the houses in Albany that had won prizes in their Christmas light contest, so we decided to drive there and check them out. The weather was nice and dry. We left Quincy in the house to have some quiet time and loaded Rylee in the car with us. She loves her car rides and enjoyed the trip and we had a nice drive. It was still early when we got back and so we watched tv until time to call it a night 
       
Tuesday, December 25th, 2018……      MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!! We want to take this time to wish all of our family and friends a very merry Christmas!
 
We got up and moving around 6:30am. I decided to get Rylee out for her regular walk before we did any gift unwrapping. Our goal was for the three of us to open our gifts for each other then wait until we got the kids on facetime or marco polo. Lydia made scrambled eggs for breakfast and Penny made coffee. Lydia had her tea and we were ready! We opened up the gifts and then started making calls. We did Jeff and family first, since they are already three hours ahead of us. Their Christmas was broken up into batches because Krista had to work today. Then we called Randy and Maryanne and talked with them and we all had a nice time sharing holiday wishes. The gift exchange idea that Randy came up with seemed to work out well. Each of us was to go out and buy something they really wanted for themselves. Then, on Christmas, we shared via facetime what we had bought. Like I said, it worked out well and everyone was happy. Something to think about if/when we are away from each other again. Lydia and Penny got dinner ready pretty early and we enjoyed ham, au gratin potatoes, brussel sprouts, and biscuits, and peach and/or chocolate pie for dessert.  Everything was good and we all ate our fill.  Eating early gave us time to rest and relax for the rest of the day before having a light snack at dinner time.  My sister left and went home for the night, leaving Q with us for her sleepover. We ended up watching tv until bedtime, but we managed to clean up some of the boxes and get that stuff ready for the trash and/or packing back away in the next couple of days.      
     
Wednesday, December 26th, 2018…... Today was rainy again, at least for most of the morning and into the afternoon. We did have bits of clear skies and the sun actually came out for a while! Kirk came by but only did a bit of cleaning up and not any real gardening. He’s done for the year. I went out to the workshop and set up my new Buddy Propane heater that my sister got for me. It uses two small propane containers and really heats up the workshop! For those times when I’m only out there for a short time, it will save me from having to use the wood stove. Perfect!  I also test fired my new Gamo Air Rifle (it was part of the kids’ gift to me) that I had picked out and ordered for myself.  It fires .177 pellets and also has a 3 x 9 scope which I will have to zero in when I get around to setting up a bullseye target of some kind. The rifle will be used primarily for coyotes when they show up around here but I’m hoping it will be enough to scare off any cougars that have been known to hunt these rural neighborhoods. Later, sis came back and got her dog and took some leftovers home with her. Meanwhile, our lunch and dinner were mostly leftovers from Christmas eve and Christmas day. Lydia has been dealing with a stuffy nose and a cough for the past few days but she still has her appetite so that’s good.  She barely got dressed but, hey, we had nowhere to go so why worry! Since we didn’t have any company this year, we just left all of the Christmas storage boxes in the dining room. I spent some time taking down some of the inside decorations (garland, etc.) but neither of us had much desire to do any more. That’s for another day. We watched tv until bedtime.     

No comments:

Post a Comment