About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #22 – Saying Goodbye and Getting our Taxes Going


 

Monday, February 12th, 2018…...  Nothing going on today for the RV garage.  The weather is nice today but we expect rain off and on the rest of the week so I don’t know what is planned as this time. Meanwhile, we planned out our day. I called and made an appointment to have our taxes done. Yuuck! Since we retired, we’ve always had to pay each year.  I’ve always done my own taxes but with the sale of the house, and capital gains, plus having to file two returns, I’m looking for help this time. I’m sure we’ll owe again this year.  Just hope we can afford Hawaii in June! Later, we went over to see the girls before they had to leave for the airport.  Their flight was leaving from Portland (to Vegas) so they had to leave early to get there and get gas and turn in the rental car before check-in.  It was nice to have them come visit my sister, given she is going through chemo right now. They made her days after treatment nicer just by being there.

                                           Danette, Merrilyn, Penny and Diane

Once we got home, we finished up the day watching Olympics and taking care of Quincy.


Tuesday, February 13th, 2018……  Having Quincy here with us is working out.  I had been getting up and dressing and then taking her out for her morning walk and then showering and getting ready for the day. Today I got up before dawn and showered then took her out.  No big difference either way. We went off this morning to our tax advisor meeting.  After looking our paperwork over, she said it looks like we will be able to avoid capital gains for our transaction.  That’s really great to hear!  So, it’s now looking like we just have to work through the regular tax filing, which, for us for the past several years, has been on the paying side rather than the receiving side.  I expect it to be the same this year especially knowing that Oregon has higher state tax liability than Calif.  This year we have to file in both states, so having an advisor is better than me trying to do it myself. We’ll know next week or so. Later, we came back to relax a bit then have lunch. It’s still a little cold outside even though the sun is shining brightly today!   So, I didn’t have any projects planned.  I’m still hoping to be able to add another concrete pad closer to the house for extra rv parking, although I may end up either doing blacktop or compacted crushed stone.  Either way, I need to take out the walkway flagstone pavers so that’s on my to-do list. I also have a bunch of logs piled up toward the back of the property.  Walt told us he cut down a big tree out there many years ago and I’m guessing these logs were just piled up and left there.  He also dumped some pallets out there so those will be hauled out and the area cleaned up.  I’ll leave some logs to be used for seating along with a bench or two (once I find them) to go around a fire pit of some kind. Might be nice to use as a gathering area when friends show up and the weather is nice enough to be out. Both of these projects are on hold for now because I can’t get any vehicles out on the soppy grass without tearing it up.  I might try a wheelbarrow for the flagstones.
Later, Lydia went to Walmart to get a few things for dinner tonight.  We’re planning on driving in to Albany tomorrow to go to Costco for more shopping but this will do for tonight.     

No comments:

Post a Comment