About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #66 – It’s Definitely Fall!



Sunday, October 8th, 2017…...  This morning we decided to go out to breakfast.  My sister came over early to give Quincey a chance to run a bit.  She brought over her food, fed her, and we headed off to Skyline in Sweet Home.  As we get into fall, you can definitely see the colors changing!  Of course there are the evergreens but even those are different shades right now.  The large number of other varieties of trees in this area make it so beautiful.  When we returned, the sun was out so we decided to take pics both in the back of the property as well as part of the front yard.  You can see the reds, yellows and greens of Fall.




After Penny and Quincy left, we kicked back and watched tv (Nascar, Formula 1, football, baseball, and Mecum auction for me), an Elvis movie, Silence of the Lambs, Will & Grace, etc. for Lydia). She fixed stuffed (w/crab & shrimp) salmon and a veggie casserole for dinner (very good!), and we went back to tv. Oh, yeah, our deer are back.  It’s a mom and her two young ones.  They hung around for 45 minutes just grazing in the back yard.  At first we only saw one of the youngsters but the other one was behind the motorhome and around the apple trees. There are thick woods toward the southwest of our property.  It’s actually fenced private property that has never been developed and we suspect that’s where they spend a lot of their time. I sure hope they stay close around here (no hunting allowed) so they will be safe come deer season!
 


Monday, October 9th, 2017…...  This morning started out really cold.  I ate breakfast and went out to the garage. I could see my breath!  But later, the sun came out and took the chill off of everything.  My plan today was to work on my pegboard rack for the shop.  I cut it to size and put 2 x 2’s behind it and got it mounted to the wall behind my worktable. Looks good!  About the time I cleaned up, Scott came over with my old axle.  He unloaded it for me and pretty much set it in place all by himself!  That saved my back! We talked about the timeframe for the order to arrive.  All I have to do is take the trailer there when everything gets in.  Probably a few weeks so I don’t have to hurry getting the axle buttoned back up until my back feels better.  Next up was to mow the lawn.  I checked and it was still too wet so I came in and took a break.  That’s when I discovered my phone took a dump!  Turns out it was the battery.  I bought one back in June of 2016 when we were in South Dakota from Batteries+Bulbs.  I found they have one in Corvallis so I headed there prepared to find out it was not the battery but rather the phone.  The clerk wanted to test it for 24 hours but since the battery was swollen it was enough to convince the manager it failed.  I had told them I bought it from their chain and that was enough for them to just exchange it!  No cost to me and it fixed the problem!  I returned home and missed out on doing the lawn.  I will head out tomorrow to get more non-ethanol gas and hope the rains hold off so I can get everything mowed. Lydia fixed spaghetti for dinner and together we worked on understanding the nuances of the broiler.  The Dacor stove has gas burners and an electric oven for baking but has a gas broiler.  We’re not used to that but I think we’re starting to figure it out.  We’ll have to try different broiler temps and move the racks until she gets comfortable with it. Too bad Brian is so far away, otherwise he would have a service call to do!  After dinner, we kicked back and watched tv for a while.  My Dodgers played game three in Phoenix tonight.  They won!  Next up is either Washington or Chicago. Go Dodgers!  

1 comment:

  1. Leave food out for the deer and you can be sure they will stay there!

    ReplyDelete