About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #50 – Cement Day (Not!) and Puppy Prep


Monday, April 9th, 2018……  Today was cement day!  I had texted them yesterday and they said they didn’t have a time yet and would let me know.  I waited and finally late morning they texted that either/or the concrete truck or the pumper truck would not be able to make it (not sure the reason) and that they now have us on the schedule for the next dry day, which is Saturday. Nothing much to say except, ‘ok’.  I am certainly being tested when it comes to patience.  I understand that there are other things affecting the schedule, but hey, I paid my money up front for the work to be done – why isn’t it done?  I know my contractors are feeling my pressure and are trying.  They have committed to get extra hours going once the job is back under their control (rough framing, drywall, etc. etc.).  They do have to sub out the electrical but that’s down the road and shouldn’t be an issue, I hope! I have cleared my calendar (like I have a calendar because I’m sooo busy!) for Saturday. So, we ended up not getting much done today, with the wait and then nothing.  At least I can get some things done and some projects going the rest of the week! Lydia did some laundry and then it was dinner and tv. 

Tuesday, April 10th, 2018……  Today, Penny came by and walked Quincy.  I headed out to Walmart to get an air filter for the Acadia.  I will take it in for an oil change sometime this week. A Walmart air filter is way cheaper than when you buy one through either a dealership or an oil change specialty shop. I stopped and got breakfast and coffee/tea and came home and ate and then got the filter installed. Later, I opened up the two shipments I had recently received: the pet door and the pet corral.  The door is on my list to install tomorrow.  I got the portable fence set up and laid out where I want it (at the end of the steps I recently built). Because the grass is not mowed yet, I had to disassemble it and stow it away.  But I think we’re good to go with this – it will make for an easy temporary way to allow the new puppy to get outside through the doggie door to do her business, yet keep her from running free in the yard. Plus, later down the road, when she’s potty trained, I can always put it up for visitor’s dogs or we can take it with us when we travel.  The rest of the day was spent doing chores –  I did some cleaning out in the shop, and Lydia did laundry, and between loads, she called Lowes and is working to set up a service call on the new washer and dryer. She’s had some issues (we get a ‘self-clean’ reminder light more than we think we should, plus we have other questions about the cycle choices and some of the advanced features (steam) and how to use them).  I told her we have a full extended warranty and to call and have a tech come out and make sure everything is set up and working correctly on both machines. She heard back from Lowes that Samsung will be calling soon to set up service from one of their local reps in the area. So that’s done. Lydia started dinner and then we got a doorbell visitor.  Turned out it was Kirk, our landscaper.  He had been doing some work at my sister’s house and she had told him about the tumbled bbq, so he came over to offer muscle to help me get it set back up on the porch. Big effort, even with two of us. I even went to the trouble of strapping on my back brace just to be safe. That Jenn-Air is thick walled stainless steel and sure is a heavy monster!  I sure appreciated his help. After that, it was dinner, relaxing, and tv until bedtime.    

No comments:

Post a Comment