About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Monday, April 23, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #56 – Puppy Training and Resting from Puppy Training


Saturday, April 21st, 2018……  More of our puppy story….. I ended up sleeping maybe 2 hrs. in total.  Lydia got a few more.  I got her up and out of the crate and outside and to the grass - ok, she just made it to the flower bed, before she did her big potty (aka poop).  She ate and drank and later repeated the cycle.  The weather here is starting to warm up and the mornings are just a bit chilly, but I was able to go outside in my bare feet and help get her routine going.  We are using the doggie door and the steps but she had never seen either before so it’s slow going. She likes the grass though and loves rolling in it.  I’m hoping to get it mowed later today so we can see her in it! I managed a shower and to get dressed.  Rylee just layed out on the bedroom floor waiting for me.  Lydia was getting some well-earned sleep. After I was dressed, we did some more work on the doggie door and steps and played with her toys.  Lydia came out later and took over.  It wasn’t too much later that I texted Penny to bring Quincy over for their first meeting.  I brought her in and introduced them.  Quincy had no issues and even played a bit with her.  They left and I ate breakfast then settled into my chair and promptly went to sleep while Lydia had doggie duty.  She played Rylee out and while she was napping, Lydia took her shower. Later, I worked on getting Rylee into a doggie collar. We had several of Bailey’s but found a new harness we had picked up someplace and it fit pretty well.  She doesn’t like it but can’t get to it to chew it.
The rest of the day was spent working on cleaning out the car from the trip and getting piddle pads out and the dog food stowed away. Yeah, we work for her now!  I decided to be lazy today. I will do the lawn tomorrow. Lydia got out a package of Costco tamales and we ate an easy dinner.  I got a leash on super mutt and let her walk the yard with me. She did ok.  Of course, everything is new to her and she doesn’t want to miss anything! We did get out to walk over and check out the worksite to see the progress.  I am so happy that the work is top notch and most importantly, it’s progressing more quickly now. No work today though. Rylee was interested so I imagine she will enjoy the work noise come Monday.       

Sunday, April 22nd, 2018……  Last night Lydia had doggie duty with Rylee in the living room.  Actually, Rylee likes lying next to Lydia’s chair and sleeping there too. Around 10:00pm she brought her into my office and set her down and put the plastic gate up on my door.  “You’re in charge now, I’m going to bed.” I played with her and let her chase me around the kitchen/dining room/living room and then back to the office. I guess playing with her all day and most of the evening tired her out long enough to make her sleepy. I stayed up until I couldn’t keep my eyes open, and she was resting comfortably with me so I decided to just go ahead and leave her in my room for the night. I did put the plastic gate up in the hallway, giving her the wood floor to sleep on if she wanted.  It worked!  No noise and we got a great night’s sleep!
This morning I got up about 6:00am and went in and opened the gate and she followed me out of the room and through the doggie door and all the way to the grass to potty.  I couldn’t find any messes in my room so, Good Girl!  Later, after breakfast, Penny brought Quincy over for round two.  Quince is kinda skittish but they ended up together for a short bit. It might take some more time, but I think they’ll be buds. Yesterday, Lydia took her out often, making her take several trips through the doggie door and she’s got her more and more comfortable with it now.  Today she ran through it without hesitating.  I got her actually running up and down the steps I built.  No worries there except she now wants to jump off midway to get to the flower bed!  Still no lawn mowing today. I am resting for Sunday plus getting more play time with our new little girl. I did spend some time with Rick and Janie’s trip plan.  They took a picture of the notes we made the other day and will send it to me so I can set it up on a spreadsheet for them. It should take only a few minutes. I hope it works for them. Sis came back this evening for dinner.  Lydia and I made tacos. Since the weather is so nice, we sat outside and let Quincy and Rylee run in the grass.
  






No comments:

Post a Comment