About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #52 – Ready - Set - Go For Cement!


Friday, April 13th, 2018……  Friday the 13th – oooh, scary!  Today I wanted to work on the bbq, but I got an early text from Dana that one of the concrete guys (probably the foreman) was coming over to look at the jobsite and his access for his trucks.  Turns out he had already come in and saw the access and then left before I went outside.  She and Dana said they would be over later this morning to check out everything. They have all been looking at the weather and determined that they have a large window tomorrow so they should be able to get everything done and covered before the rains come in. Needless to say, we’re excited! I looked it up and it was the middle of February when they did the last work out there!  Later, Penny came over.  She and Lydia wanted to go out to Casa De Reyes for dinner and she drove.  We had a nice meal but I paid for it later. I ended up with acid reflux and couldn’t sleep most of the night.  I had to get up early tomorrow so this wasn’t good!

Saturday, April 14th, 2018……  Cement Day! I didn’t fall asleep until about 2:30am so it was hard to get up and going this morning. But I had to – so I was out and going before 6:00am. I needed to move the rv out of the driveway.  I parked it out on the road and down in the cul-de-sac.  I also had to get my truck out there as well because the other trucks would pin it in if I left it in the shop. Tim & Dana showed up around 6:15am. The pumper showed up at 6:30am and got in position.  He got his hoses out and set up to be ready by the time the cement truck backed in. He had an issue with one of the hoses which was clogged from cement from a previous job.  He swapped it out and they got going with the pour right at 7:00am. The job went along with no other problems. The first of the cement trucks wasted no time in dumping into the hopper of the pump truck.  They had seven guys working the site which made the job look easy but I did cement work for one of my dad’s buddy’s business when I was in high school.  It’s not easy! They used three trucks for the entire pour and the last of the trucks was done by 9:00am.  Most of the crew left shortly after that. The cement needed some time to cure and then the guys staying went to work floating it out and making it as smooth as possible.  Garage floors are smooth for sweeping.  The approach pad and the rv pad next to the garage will be broom swept for traction, but that’s last on the schedule. Tim and Dana and the guys stayed until everything looked good. That was about 3:00pm.  It wasn’t a long day but a good one, and now that that part is done, the job will get going.  Tim said on Monday he will pull the forms and set the rain drains and get them hooked up. After that is backfilled, they can start the framing. We watched and I took pics





but stayed out of the way most of the day.  But I couldn’t wait to come in and relax and have dinner and watch tv.  We had spaghetti while catching up on a couple of episodes of Guys Grocery Games.  I ended up going to bed early.  I needed to catch up on my sleep!     

No comments:

Post a Comment