About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #54 – Getting Ready for the Trip and Work Progresses


 

Tuesday, April 17th, 2018……  I had nothing planned today, except to go get some longer screws for the bbq tiedowns on the porch deck. We decided to go out to breakfast after I walked Quincy.  We chose The Skyline Diner in Sweet Home. Even though it’s a fifteen-minute drive, the food there is worth it. Afterward, we went back into Lebanon and stopped at the Dollar Tree and got some piddle pads for the car for the puppy.   We also stopped at Wilco where I got my screws. Lydia saw the new chicks that they have in the store for sale.  Cute but we don’t want those! After that, we went to Walmart and got the doggie travel cage.  We actually chose a soft sided one.  It will probably be her bed at home for a while unless we need to get her a more solid steel cage.  Either way, we will switch to the large steel one that we already have when she outgrows the smaller ones. 

When we got back, Tim and Dana were already there and had brought their trailer with the scaffolding that they will need later.  The trailer was to pick up the cement forms to take back to their shop. I helped them load those heavy things! They got the scaffolding erected before they took off.  Their accountant had called them this morning saying she needed to see them.  They think it’s bad news on their taxes and since they have to file today, they had to go take care of that.  They said they expect they will hit the ‘extend’ button on their return to get more time. The weather is cloudy with intermittent rain showers predicted.  So, they didn’t get the sill plates laid but at least they covered the concrete with plastic, not from the weather, but mostly from the mud and boards that might mar it. Watching Tim and Dana work, I must say I am impressed.  Tim is very picky on everything and it shows in his work. And Dana is right there, doing lifting, nailing, and about everything else.  They are a small team but they work hard and do it right! 

End of day 13…..

Penny got back from her cab trip and consult and picked up Quincy. She was hungry and asked if we wanted to meet her at Bigfoot Bites.  Neither of us had tried it before and she said her treat, so we joined her there at 4:00pm for dinner.  It was really good!  Thanks, Sis!  They have combo plates, with several choices of burgers for $11-13., with choice of fries, tots, or onion rings and a large refillable drink.  We liked it so much we signed up for their rewards club.

  
After our nice meal, we said goodbye and went back to our house and relaxed for the evening.   
    
Wednesday, April 18th, 2018……  Today. The weather is supposed to be nice.  Penny came over and walked Quincy and I made coffee and ate breakfast.  I then went out and put those two screws into the base of the bbq, holding it tight to the deck.  I think I’m safe from the winds now! Tim and Dana came over a little later and got to work.  By the end of the day they had all of the sill plates laid and bolted down plus the bottom plates 90% done.  They also got a delivery of the lam beam for over the garage door. 

End of day 14……  



Since we leave tomorrow, we won’t see anything more that they do until we get back Friday night.  I’m sure my sister will take pics and send them to me but I won’t be posting until Saturday. Our plan is to leave Thursday morning and drive straight through to Yuba City, about 470 miles and 7 ½ hours. We will stay the night with Rick & Janie in their motorhome and then hang around with them until Beckie and Jerry make the drive from Cherry Valley up to Yuba City.  Lydia says they will be in touch and Beckie will tell us when/where we will meet (either at the fairgrounds or their hotel). Either way, we need to get our little girl before they check in to their hotel. Then we will head back home.  We’re not sure when we’ll be leaving but we figure it will be really late Friday night when we get home. We’re getting the puppy just shy of eight weeks and she won’t get finished with her series of shots for two more months.  We learned from our vet that it’s dangerous to let her around people and other dogs because puppies are extremely susceptible to parvo. So, she won’t even get to be around anyone unless it’s at our house. But don’t fear – we’ll keep everyone loaded down with photos and stories. Stay tuned…..
We decided to go to dinner tonight.  We chose Pizza Schmizza.  We like this place more and more. It’s close to home, the pizza is excellent and the work crew are all friendly. After dinner, we got back home and I went out and talked to Tim & Dana and took the pics above. The weather is clear for the next several days so they said I won’t recognize it when we get back.
Oh yeah, my Elk membership to the Sweet Home Lodge (#1972) was approved and I have my card so now I’m good to go.   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment