About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #51 – More Sprinklers, Tomatoes, and Rock and Roll!

Friday, September 8th, 2017…..     We went out this morning for breakfast.  I now have a local favorite place – Kevin’s. Plus they have a weekly flyer that has ads for local services, including contractors.  After returning home, I called four of them and left messages.  I got a call back pretty quickly from Arron.  He uses Fridays as his bid days and could swing by later.  Cool!  Meanwhile, the guys came back today to work some more on the bark mulch for our flower beds.  Yaay!



But first I went over to install some new sprinkler heads over at Penny’s house.  I must have thrown out the instruction sheet (or didn’t get one in the package) and didn’t quite get the hang of the adjustment settings so they ran amok! We returned home and watched the guys wheelbarrowing the mulch to the beds. Even with the bit they did today, it already looks good! 



Arron came by and we went over my plans and he suggested a solution that is way better price wise for us.  A pole barn (picture below is just an example of a pole barn).



Most everyone here is putting them up instead of the stick frame buildings.  They look just like a regular barn and can be insulated, drywalled and have electrical and windows, etc. He will be getting a price together for both types in the next couple of days.

We decided we wanted to try the popular hamburger chain up here called Burgerville.  They have cars lined up most all day like In & Out and we heard good things.  So we drove to Albany and went in to eat. Ok, In & Out it’s not!  I didn’t care for the burger but the fries were really good.  We missed it this time, but if we go back, we need to try their marionberry shake which looked pretty good.  We stopped at Home Depot and Lowe’s where I picked up some parts for my island sprinklers and Penny checked out/priced screens for her front door. She doesn’t want to spend the money for a slider like we ordered – she just needs one that Quincy can’t get through so a regular one will work. I did pick up the instructions for her sprinkler heads so I think I can get those adjusted now. We returned home and watched tv for a while before calling it a night.         

Saturday, September 9th, 2017…..   I ate a quick breakfast and decided to move mountains today – ok maybe three rocks.  Facing the house, there are three boulders on the right side of the driveway in the flowerbed and I thought we should have three more on the left to balance out the entrance.  I have other rocks on the property that Walt brought in and placed in various flowerbeds.  I chose three in the very back island to move.  I pried them up with a heavy bar and Penny and I got them on my dolly, which I hooked over the top of my truck's trailer hitch so we could roll them out to the front.  It took a lot of effort and a few Aleve but we got them placed.  I think we did well!. Lydia already has plans to match the day lilllies on the other side. 






Once we cleaned up , we headed out. Today was the Tomato & Salsa Fest, held at a nursery just outside of town, so we decided to go. We signed in as judges and ate up to ten sample tastings of salsa and voted on our favorite, then walked around to get signatures from the various vendor booths. We sat out for a while and ate samples and filled in our paperwork. 



You then turn in the paper and were entered in the raffle at the end of the day.  (no calls yet so I’m guessing we didn’t win!). Both Lydia and Penny bought plants so it was worth the trip.


Since the nursery was out past Penny’s place, we decided to stop on the way back so she could see her new paint swatches on the walls.  She added a second coat and still can’t make up her mind. I went out for round two with the water adjustments.  Yep, didn’t bring the instructions and yep, got everything soaked again.  We came back and I went out to my sprinkler bag and found the missing paperwork -  so I’m ready for round three now!  Maybe tomorrow.  We rested for the afternoon and Lydia put a casserole in the oven for dinner.  We ate (yummy) and I went out to the workshop to unload a few more boxes onto the new shelves and racks I have up. Then it was back to the house to our respective tvs to watch our taped shows before going to bed.         

No comments:

Post a Comment