About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Friday, September 15, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #54 – Shop Work, a New Screen and a new Doctor!

 

Thursday, September 14th, 2017…..  This morning I woke up super early (5:30am) and remembered I didn’t get the trash out to the street last night!  Our trash/recycle guys always show up early so I put on some pants and got both containers out to the street.  Whew! I just stayed up and showered and went out to Starbucks for chai latte’ for Lydia and coffee for me.  I stopped and got a breakfast burrito (Lydia ate at home) and then went out to the shop for a while.  It is starting to cool down in the mornings.  This morning it was 43° when I went outside!  They say we are going to get some significant rain next week.  We’ll see….

I worked on the workshop a bit.  Here are before and after pics for the main storage shop and the workshop….




The storage shop is pretty much done. Maybe a few more shelves on the other side down the road.  The workshop is only about 25% done.  Still have plans in there!




Our appointment for install on the Phantom Screen Door Slider that we ordered (from Lowe’s) was today.  He had called earlier and said he was on the way (from Lake Oswego/Portland area) and got here about 9:00am.  Before the install, he showed us options and colors (they customize onsite!).  We ended up with the color we originally picked out in the store (driftwood beige). It only took him an hour and he was gone.  We think it looks great!




Now, on nice days we can open the front door and the back slider and get a breeze.  Of course, we are at the end of the warm weather, but it’s nice to get that done.  Afterward, I went over to help Penny unload her entertainment center which we put in the garage for now.  Later, we all headed to Albany to Harbor Freight and Joanne’s. Penny is stocking up on tools and items from HF and Lydia bought a sewing table from Joanne’s (hey – she got 60% off today!) I got the box as far as her craft room. Tomorrow, I’ll get it assembled and set up for her. We noticed our neighbors across the street, Rick and Judy, were home, so Lydia and I took chocolate pie slices over.  Rick (a doctor) is helping us choose a doctor here in town so we can complete our medical insurance set up process. Thanks, guys!  We still will have to call tomorrow to check to see if they accept new patients before we choose them for our PCP. We came back and ate another leftover dinner and settled in to relax and watch tv.

Friday, September 15th, 2017…..  I got up early again this morning and started putting the sewing table together.  That only took a ½ hour or so.  So I ate some breakfast and then got on the phone.  After a few lo___ng phone calls this morning, we now have our primary care physician chosen and also updated in United Health Care’s system.  New, corrected cards are in work now. We both have appointments for initial consults plus flu shots in our visits.  The good thing is that the Dr’s office is close by in Lebanon.  I spent some time paying bills then went outside to work for a while. There are a few things I wanted to address. Our apple trees and grapevines need a bit of cleaning up.  Penny picked apples off our trees this morning to try to make some applesauce.  We’re told they are similar to granny smiths so even though they are green they taste pretty good. If the applesauce works out, I’ll pick more and Lydia will get a pie or cobbler on her radar.  Stay tuned…. I sampled our grapes.  We’re still not sure what variety they are but we saw some at the farmer’s market the other day that weren’t thompsons and looked very much like ours.  Problem is no one can remember what they were called either!  But either way these are ripe so I think tomorrow I’ll go up and clean up the area and pick grapes.  On the way barn to the workshop, I got some weed killer out and cleaned up around and under the motorhome.  We get a TON of dandelions up here and they pop up everywhere!  Penny went to get her internet service set up and Lydia spent most of her day working in her craft room. Once we were done with our tasks we went to Walmart and picked up stuff for tacos for dinner.  We also bought some curtains for the guest room and the craft room. A little at a time….

We got back and put everything away.  Penny got home and Lydia fixed the meat, I did the shells, and Penny got the cheese and lettuce set up. Dinner was sure tasty tonight.  Lydia doesn’t like whipped cream so we still have pie. I had a slice earlier and sis had one tonight.  We’re making a dent in it!  I also cut up a sorbet watermelon we bought at the farmer’s market.  It is really a bright yellow color and had lots of seeds but it sure was tasty!



I settled in to watch a taped Nascar race and they watched tapes on the living room tv.       

No comments:

Post a Comment