About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #56 – Trailers, More Visitors and the Shingles!


Monday, September 18th, 2017…..   This morning we got rain.  Not heavy rain, just light sprinkles and short light showers. I took off to get coffee and something to eat and then went over to Walmart to get some spray paint for my ladder.  Walt left me a nice fiberglass 6’ step ladder (thanks Walt!) but it was probably left outside so the glazing was coming off, exposing the fiberglass a bit.  So I painted it with a clearcoat in between the showers. I got one coat on and came in to watch a taped show for a bit.  Yesterday, Kirk gave me a lead on a utility trailer on Craig’s List.  I called this morning and it was still for sale.  So Lydia and I set out to Salem to go check it out.  We met up with the guy, who had been in the landscape business and now is working with a concrete company.  He wanted $500. for the trailer which was way underpriced for what it was.  Yes, it needs work but I thought it compared with $1500. trailers out there.  I spotted the rest of his landscaping equipment and asked him if they were for sale.  He had a Honda mower and a Maclane edger that were in pretty good shape.  He wanted $200. for both.  I offered $500 for everything and he accepted. I hooked it up and it towed beautifully.  I got it backed into the workshop and checked it out underneath.  I noticed some work had been done on the axle and that the right
side tire leaned in a bit. I’m guessing the guy must have overloaded the trailer at some point and bent the axle and then welded a bar on it for strength. I’m not too concerned because it tracks well but I’ll keep my eyes open for a welding shop to see if I can heat up the one side and straighten it a bit. I spoke a bit with Janie who gave me a heads up of what’s happening down in SoCal with our friends.  Meanwhile, Lydia called me in for roast beef and carrots, potatoes and gravy.  It sure hit the spot! We watched some Master Chef episodes and also some Great Food Truck Race episodes so we’re caught up now! Then it was time for the startup of Dancing with the Stars! The rain was off and on and more is coming tomorrow.  I already have turned off my sprinklers so we’ll see how wet the yard will get.   


Tuesday, September 19th, 2017…...  We slept in this morning and then took off to Kevin’s for breakfast.  We went from there to check on a hair/nail salon.  Turns out they moved so we went there.  She went in and found it was $10 Tuesday! And walk-ins were welcome.  We returned home and I started on my trailer work.  Lydia came out and said the internet was down.  I called and it took a while to get that resolved.  All the computers/tablets/cell came back except my new one!  I got back with them and they said to reboot.  It had always taken a long time to reboot before but this time I timed it as the guy was on the phone waiting for confirmation before signing off.  It took almost 14 minutes!  So I got mad and took the whole thing back to Staples.  Long story short – they replaced it for me and I’m now day one on the new one.  We’ll see how this one works. Meanwhile, Penny’s friend, Jody and her husband Charlie, came to Oregon to visit.  Actually, Charlie will be heading down to Calif. and Jody will stay here and help Penny move her stuff in from the POD (which will be delivered tomorrow).  They went back to their hotel and then Penny, Lydia and I went to Ma’s for Chinese.  Not as good as the other times.  When we got back Lydia called our doctor’s office and asked about going to urgent care.  It looks like her shingles have come back!  She wanted to see if there was anything they could do or recommend what she needed to do.  They said go and have it looked at so she headed off to urgent care.  Stay tuned….
Ok, she’s back now and it didn’t take too long to get in.  They examined her and sent her to the pharmacy for antibiotics and meds for the pain. We’ve both had shingles before and it’s NOT FUN! She knows it will take a long time to lessen and may linger for even months or more. We finished up the night watching the taped America’s Got Talent Finale night one.  We’re rooting for the young ventriloquist but America votes and there’s some stiff competition plus some compelling back stories of some acts that folks might vote for.      


No comments:

Post a Comment