About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #58 – More Landscaping, DirecTV & Beerfest!

Friday, September 22nd, 2017…...  Kirk came again today to work on spreading out more bark in the rest of our flowerbeds.  He’s about ½ way done with that project.  My sister has three small trees that she doesn’t want so he will bring those here.  Lydia has already picked out a spot and I marked them with flags. He’s got two more plants to move and one to plant and after the bark is done, he should be about finished. He’s done such a great job and has been fun to work with. Plus the place is looking great! Meanwhile, Penny had her DirecTV install today.  The guy who came out was the same one who did the install for the previous tenants.  He wired up new locations and tested everything but was surprised that the satellite dish was missing! Truth be told - it’s in my shop waiting for my rv garage to be built but we didn’t tell him that.  So she got a brand new one (all part of the plan!). Lydia and I then headed off to Home Depot to order the area rugs for the living room and entryway. They are special order so we have to wait until Oct. for pickup.  We all went back home and rested for a while before taking off again. The plan was to go to Eugene for shopping (Home Goods/Marshalls/Bed Bath & Beyond/Trader Joe’s) before going for pizza in Coburg.  Penny bought a chair and ordered a bed cover package which will be sent out next week. A few other things and we were headed for pizza! We had told Jody how good this pizza was but she needed to check it out for herself.  She wasn’t disappointed (except that they don’t have a store in St George Utah!). We headed home and called it a night.  Penny got some nice sunset shots on the drive.





Oh, the deer were back again this evening.  They were there when we returned and right up close to the house and motorhome but it was too dark to get good pictures.     






Saturday, September 23rd, 2017…...  Today was Beerfest day in Lebanon!  Yaay!  But first we had to go to Habitat for Humanity. They had ½ price for cabinets today. I was eyeing an island to use as a worktable for my shop.  We took two cars and Penny and Jody took my car because her chair was still in there from yesterday.  Turns out I didn’t buy anything today because my island was priced at $185.00 and even at half price I couldn’t do it. Penny bought a shelving unit which I took over to her garage for her.  I went back home and waited for everyone to get ready for the beerfest.  We took two cars in case anyone wanted to leave early.  We got parked (pretty close up!) and paid our admission. The proceeds go to the Boys and Girls Clubs of the greater Santiam Valley so we knew it was for a good cause. Penny, Lydia and I opted for the $45. VIP pass. It got you 6 beer tasting tokens plus a special sampling cup plus special seating (for the stage shows/bands) plus special swag (free t-shirt and other small token items).  Jody got the $20 general admission entrance which got her 3 tokens.  There were over 30 beer vendors (plus one winery) that you could use tokens for.  We first stopped at the t-shirt booth and got our shirts. They were made onsite and showed the beerfest logo which was fine with us.  They forgot to take Lydia’s voucher ticket so we gave it to Jody so she got a shirt as well. Lydia wasn’t drinking so I got her 6 tokens (she did try the wine and I gave Penny one token so I only had 10 – poor me!) so we started out. We went up and down the streets sampling the 4 ounce pours but stopped first at the vendor food trucks.  I chose the pork bbq (Pork on a Stick) and got a porkadilla (pork quesadilla) and Lydia chose a cheese infused hamburger and fries.  The hamburger truck couldn’t make the fries (due to a propane problem so I ordered them at my bbq place.  Penny and Jody got their meals from the pork bbq as well and enjoyed their choices.  It was all very good.  





We then set out to try all the vendors.  I even hit one place twice (don’t ask cause it’s all a blur!).  I think I liked Mazama Brewery from Corvallis the best. Once we made the first pass we found seating in the shade and then Penny and I went back and hit other favorites until our tickets were gone.  We had folks take pictures of our fun day.  I found my little worker friend who was assigned to go round up all the tokens from the booths and tried to get her to share with me!  No luck!  







Penny ended up going back for more tokens while Lydia and I headed home (Lydia drove!). We rested and napped after the long day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment