About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Oregon Living 2018 – Blog #60 – A Lazy Sunday and Finally Booking Our Hawaii Trip


Sunday, April 29th, 2018……  No plans today. I got up about 5:30am and let Rylee out of the crate and we went outside. Today turned out to be a good day for her routine.  We were able to get her to go outside and she did her business out there all day and all evening.  Only right after her mid-day nap did she wake up and squat before we could catch her to guide her to the door.  But hey, she’s making progress! 

The other night I felt a pop in my lower back as I rolled over in bed.  Didn’t hurt at all but I was a little sore yesterday.  The drive and carrying her through the tulip fields must have strained my back some because I was hurting this morning.  I took some muscle relaxers and ended up sleeping most of the morning. But it was a lazy day anyway so no big deal. We watched tv and napped and took turns with our rowdy little muttley.  She wants to play all the time until she poops out and crashes with one of her power naps, giving us some peace! We know the drill so we know how to deal with it. Lydia did a few loads of laundry today while she kept an eye on a chicken and veggies in the crock pot.  I needed to get going on the Hawaii trip but I will work on it more on Monday. We are trying to figure out who we can get to dog sit for Rylee and Quincy in June. My sister had a few friends who were ready and willing but both of them now have conflicts and can’t do it.  Tim was next and can’t get off work.  We are willing to fly someone up here and have them stay at our house and take care of both dogs, but we may end up putting them in a kennel for the time that Sis will be gone.  We’ll be gone a week but she’s only going for 4 days so we need to figure that out soon.           

Monday, April 30th, 2018……  This morning I woke up and got Rylee out and walked and fed, and then went over to walk Quincy.  Penny had an early radiation appointment today (remember she gets a cab ride to Portland each day) so she was out of the house super early.  That done, I stopped and got breakfast and coffee/tea and brought it home.  Tim & Dana came today.  They have the truss delivery scheduled for Wednesday and requested the rv be moved.  So, I called and got an appointment for Thursday to get it de-winterized. I can bring it in on Wednesday so that works for us. I also got our plane tickets for the June trip to Hawaii.  We will be there from 6/20 for seven days, coming back on 6/27.  We chose Portland (yeah, I know) because it was cheaper and has less layovers. We have to fly to LAX but that’s ok.  If Jeff and Krista can go, they will be routed from Florida through LAX as well and we may end up on the same flight.  We’ll see. Either way, we had to get it going before prices went up. We’re now trying to get everyone’s response back for the room.  We’re renting a condo, with 3 bedrooms and a pullout so I think everyone will agree to that.  Stay tuned….
Ok, we got enough info already to go ahead and book.  We got it!  Or at least we think we got it.  I’m still waiting for the confirmation email to come. Later, this evening I heard from Rick & Janie.  They are on the road and are in Albuquerque, headed east.  They are thinking that they will want to head to Mesa on the way home.  Rick’s son Scott, and his wife have just had preemies who are in the Nicu in Mesa.  They are not doing all that well so Rick and Janie want to go spend some time with them and the family on the way home.  They asked me to help route them from Tennessee to Mesa, which I was glad to do. I checked miles and routes coming back on both I40 and I20/I10.  Turns out it’s about the same mileage either way so I gave them both options.  This time of year I would go ahead and go the southern route plus it’s not a repeat of the eastern trip. I just hope the little girls get through their issues and get healthy.           
Tim & Dana got the house wrap up, all at the ground level anyway, and then started on the board and batten siding. These are 4 x 8 sheets of wood grained pressed material (aka hardy board) that are the finished product (minus paint). The battens are the little 1x2s that cover the seams.  Those will go on later.

End of day 22….



1 comment:

  1. Too bad you don't have a drone so we could see overhead pictures

    ReplyDelete