About Us

My photo
Lebanon, Oregon, United States
We are Terry & Cathye Kinkelaar. If you've followed my blog in the past, you know that Lydia, my beautiful wife of 52 years, and I made the lifestyle choice to move to Oregon in 2017. You've seen my posts about losing her in May 2020 to cancer. Although I was left alone, I am pleased to say that I have found happiness again. In April 2021, I met Cathye, who also lost her longtime husband in 2020. Well, we fell in love and were married in April 2022. So, if folks are still interested, I will continue to post here as we move forward with our lives and adventures!

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Oregon Living 2017 – Blog #95 – Laundry and a Christmas Light Show!

 

Tuesday, December 5th, 2017…...   Today was laundry day. I fixed breakfast and then helped Lydia get the clothes out to sort for her loads and then went out to the shop for the morning.  Just organizing and cleaning up a bit. Not much else going on.  I stayed out there even though the shop was a bit chilly.  I do have a wood stove in there but I’ve haven’t used it yet. Maybe tomorrow.  It’s supposed to get down in the low 30s.  We’ll see….

Lydia got her laundry done and I helped put things away and then we fixed dinner. Ok, she fixed dinner. She made chicken fried steak with corn and baked potatoes.  Very good.  I behaved myself and even saved leftovers for lunch tomorrow!  

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017…...  We woke up this morning to frost on the ground!  The temperature is 34º!  I have a water hose laying out by the garage and I check it each morning if there’s frost.  It was ok (and there is no water line connected to the coach) but just in case I’ve decided to have the motorhome winterized when I take it in next week!  We went into town to have breakfast and then went over and got signed up at the fitness center.  They told us they are open 24/7 and we now have cards to swipe whenever we want to go work out. The only thing I don’t care for is that they don’t have locker rooms. And there are only two shower rooms. Everybody wears their workout clothes to and from.  I’m used to changing there so something to get used to.


This afternoon Penny (and Quincy) came over around 2:00pm.  The plan was to go to the Oregon Gardens and she would stay the night.  Tomorrow is her next round of chemo and she and Lydia can leave from here and I will have the dog already.  We headed out and made the 40-minute drive to the gardens.  The tickets I bought online ($3. ea.) were only good for the lighted Christmas event which starts at 5:00pm.  We got there about 3:00pm and since none of us had eaten anything since breakfast we decided to continue on to Silverton and find a place for linner.  We settled on 310 Water Restaurant.  This place was terrific!  I chose the halibut croissant sandwich with avocado, Havarti cheese, tomato, and slaw.  It was excellent! Lydia had the fish and chips and Penny ordered the blue cheese burger and all of it was very good.  After the great meal, we drove back to the park. We paid the park admission ($5. ea) and got shuttled up to the entrance.  We had to wait until 5:00pm to get in but it wasn’t too cold yet. We walked around the entire gardens and thought it was really well done. The weather got colder once the sun went down completely but they had firepits where you could warm up a bit as you walked through the lighted displays.  











If you were to compare this to some of the glamour displays folks now set up at their own homes, it would be just so-so, but up here, it was really well received.  We ended up spending about 1 ½ hours walking through and then headed home.  It was a fun experience. But we are planning on going back sometime again in the daytime just to see the gardens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment